First Choice Midfield

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Me and my lad just been debating this. With everyone fully fit and in absolute peak form…

Who are your central three (6/8 and 10) out of Cook, Christie, Billing, Adams, Scott and Kliuvert?

For me the 6 and the 8 is easy, Cook and Christie have been the foundation behind our upturn in form. The 10 to rotate depending on fatigue/opposition etc.

Obviously recency bias says Cook and Christie, but Adams and Scott have a significantly higher ceiling.

Seems people have all but forgotten how the better sides tore apart Cook and Christie over the first 3 months of the season.

Obviously recency bias says Cook and Christie, but Adams and Scott have a significantly higher ceiling.

Seems people have all but forgotten how the better sides tore apart Cook and Christie over the first 3 months of the season.
Christie wasn’t in that role at start of season he was on the wing or in the ten. It was Cook and Billing playing deeper that laboured against the better sides as everyone was trying to come to terms with the system. The swap of Christie and Billings positions for the Burnley game and the introduction of Kliuvert when Billing got injured was the catalyst.

I really don't know and I suspect AI is scratching his head as well. Different set up according to who we play at times ? A nice problem to have, no suspensions looming in that area either and we pass the 19 game 5 card mark this week.

I don’t want to get overly technical again, but earlier in the season we played the single deep sitting midfielder and the recent run we have changed to two or the “double pivot”. Throw in the Christie/Billing rotation early doors and now we have a more rigid central system and things are a bit different now.

Ironically I think it’s made us better defensively and offensively, changing this system. But whether it’ll stand up to the big sides any better than the previous system I think will all be down to our confidence at the time.

I've not seen Scott play as a 10, I think 8 would be his best position.

So the deeper 6, is either cook or adams
The 8, Christie or Scott
10 is kluivert or billing
No mention of traore or Rothwell either.

Can't see how Christie can be dropped, but can we leave Scott out

Me and my lad just been debating this. With everyone fully fit and in absolute peak form…

Who are your central three (6/8 and 10) out of Cook, Christie, Billing, Adams, Scott and Kliuvert?
I've been wondering about this as well, it's a really tough one. From what I've seen, I'd say that on current for, Christie has made himself undroppable (not sure if that's a word but I'm claiming it) in the deeper role. His energy and ability there is key. I've not seen Admas play so have no idea if he'll be an upgrade on Christie or not. For the others, I think we can interchange them as needed and it'll work. It's a lovely problem to have though!

I've not seen Scott play as a 10, I think 8 would be his best position.

So the deeper 6, is either cook or adams
The 8, Christie or Scott
10 is kluivert or billing
No mention of traore or Rothwell either.

Can't see how Christie can be dropped, but can we leave Scott out
So who’s your three? Commit!

Being lazy setting Adams aside for the moment as we haven't seen him play or know what sort of engine he has which is core to AI's sides I plump for Cook, Christie and Scott.

Assuming Adams recovers back to his best, I think we may end up with Adams, Cook or Christie, and Scott as the starters.

Who’d have predicted Cook or Christie being in direct competition at the start of the season? Harsh that they may end up fighting over one spot given how well they’ve played, but that’s strength in depth for you.

I know it has always been the case, but it does feel that we have quite a few now (including the manager) that will burn brightly for a short period and then be off to bigger and better things. Just have to enjoy them whilst it lasts!

Cook, Christie and Scott for me, but then again it's not really scraping the barrel to go with Phil Bill or Kluivert. I'll reserve judgement on Adams until I've seen him play more than 10 mins

I know it has always been the case, but it does feel that we have quite a few now (including the manager) that will burn brightly for a short period and then be off to bigger and better things. Just have to enjoy them whilst it lasts!
Keep the faith RB - Uncle Bill's got a plan!

;