Football fans and their delusions...

EverHopeful

First Team
Good mate of mine is a Sheff Utd fan - top top man, intelligent, well-travelled, urbane, good company, funny, all the things you want a mate to be. Except, he is convinced the Blades are going to ‘smash’ us this weekend. Apparently they’ve made some decent signings including someone who may have been in the Man Utd academy once and the apparent world-beater Ravel Morrison. Can I please tell him he’s deluded?

Football. It's a funny old game as someone once said.

They'll still be on their promotion high as they haven't taken any PL beatings yet so will believe they're good enough. They also haven't totally disrupted the squad.

I'd be disappointed if we lost but it could happen. It also wouldn't be the end of the world.

Its the old 'little' Bournemouth thing again. I actually have respect for what they did last season, and think they may surprise a few this season. However if we play like we can, it could be a very rude awakening for them.

Good mate of mine is a Sheff Utd fan - top top man, intelligent, well-travelled, urbane, good company, funny, all the things you want a mate to be. Except, he is convinced the Blades are going to ‘smash’ us this weekend. Apparently they’ve made some decent signings including someone who may have been in the Man Utd academy once and the apparent world-beater Ravel Morrison. Can I please tell him he’s deluded?
Yes, but perhaps leave it until after the weekend? The fickle hand of fate and all that...

Maybe wait? Otherwise if they win he'll be calling you delusional!

They've been a juggernaut chugging away up the leagues for a few years now, not dissimilar to ourselves circa 2013-16.

On paper you'll have them down to struggle and probably go down, but football isn't played on paper. And playing them first up isn't ideal, an unknown quantity.

First half on Saturday is crucial, we have to show them that they're on our patch and our level now, but if we give them a foothold in the game then they'll be an absolute bugger to play.

They've been a juggernaut chugging away up the leagues for a few years now, not dissimilar to ourselves circa 2013-16.

On paper you'll have them down to struggle and probably go down, but football isn't played on paper. And playing them first up isn't ideal, an unknown quantity.

First half on Saturday is crucial, we have to show them that they're on our patch and our level now, but if we give them a foothold in the game then they'll be an absolute bugger to play.
Yep play like first half v Lyon and we should be just fine, high tempo from the off!

Even IF we got "smashed" at the weekend, it's your position in May that counts, and with Eddie in charge, we will be higher that SUFC.

A high scoring win for AFCB will be a good result for both in the long run .. us off the starting blocks quickly.. and a nice early ,welcome to the PL ,wake up call for the blades .

Its the same as Cardiff visiting last season on the first day - a case of dealing with their early bluster and then settling down to how we can play. Its simple in theory - play to our best and its a home win, we have the better team. Obviously play below our best and they could beat us though.

;