Four games, four defeats, one goal and central problem

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2017/sep/14/bournemouth-premier-league-midfield-brighton-crystal-palace

Good article which makes reasonable points in the fact at the end of this season, it's very likely we would have only signed 1 central midfield player in 3 years.

Youch!
It does make one wonder though why L Cook hasn't got in yet. He was actually playing quite a bit at the close of last season and doing well. It's not like he doesn't know how to fit into the team, or understand our style of play.

canadiancherry - 14/9/2017 17:05

Youch!
It does make one wonder though why L Cook hasn't got in yet. He was actually playing quite a bit at the close of last season and doing well. It's not like he doesn't know how to fit into the team, or understand our style of play.

He's a young lad who came through a few injuries last season.

He's then returned in April and hasn't had a break due to the Under 20's World Cup.

Once he's ready he'll play on merit no doubt and I'm looking forward to seeing him without being rushed.

Three paras on what Eddie said in the Echo.

CHERRIES boss Eddie Howe admits Lewis Cook is close to earning a spot in his starting XI.

Reflecting on Cook’s progress, Howe said: “Lewis is knocking on the door, there is no doubt about that. I think he has had a good start to the season.

“He has trained well, shown a good attitude throughout and did well for England under-21s, so he will certainly come into our thinking.”

DJ - 14/9/2017 18:08

canadiancherry - 14/9/2017 17:05

Youch!

He's a young lad who came through a few injuries last season.

He's then returned in April and hasn't had a break due to the Under 20's World Cup.

Once he's ready he'll play on merit no doubt and I'm looking forward to seeing him without being rushed.

Given he missed a lot of last season he would not need a big rest or heavy pre season so should be ready now. If not we needed a replacement for wilshere

wimborne cherries - 14/9/2017 16:19

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2017/sep/14/bournemouth-premier-league-midfield-brighton-crystal-palace

Good article which makes reasonable points in the fact at the end of this season, it's very likely we would have only signed 1 central midfield player in 3 years.

Good article!

That's what is so depressing, it was obvious we had to sign someone to replace Wilshere. Forget those that quote stats to try and show he was not much good, to anyone who watched him you could see the influence he exerted on the team in general, and the attention that he drew from the opposition.
Why we haven't signed someone to replace him is just beyond me, particularly as there is an obvious reluctance to play Cook who is the nearest to a Jack replacement.

I didn't particularly wish us to splash out on Wilshere or think we desperately needed a replacement - because I stupidly assumed L.Cook would continue his first choice berth from the end of last season.

Sure he'd possibly need a lighter pre-season than some of the squad due to the World Cup, but he didn't exactly play full on last season. Indeed he spent most of that on our bench at best. So I wouldn't expect him to be feeling heavy legged now after the summer's exploits.

Perhaps if those midfielders who had played a full on pre season repaid their initial first choice status with some performances, you could understand easing Cook in. But when central midfield has been a walking disaster zone from day 1, there is absolutely no reason for Cook to still find himself on the fringes.

You read that (well, I do) and think "sh.., maybe Neil isn't so bonkers after all' ;-)

But then remember that its still a bit too early to be saying its all gone wrong.

I see Leeds are flying at the moment and the player with most assists is some Irish lad called O'Kane. Might be worth looking at him in January.

Those "stats" for the non dynamic midfield trio are horrendous. What does Eddie see in them in all seriousness? Please start with L.Cook tomorrow, the only one with an ounce of attacking prowess

cutlers_post - 14/9/2017 22:23

I see Leeds are flying at the moment and the player with most assists is some Irish lad called O'Kane. Might be worth looking at him in January.

The change in him has been nothing short of a miracle. I thought he was poor last season but it was blighted with injury. I'd written him off after he left here.

It won't surprise anyone to know I agree with every word that chap has written (and no it's not me!).

We will never know if a) Eddie didn't want central midfielders or b) he did but the recruitment team couldn't find any but it is extraordinary that after 130m arrived we start weaker in this position than we had last season.

Still hoping Stan could fulfill that number 10 role. I think he is the one man in the squad that could. That would take pressure off especially once Cook starts, hopefully for me alongside a rejuvenated Arter who is next best when on form.

Saw the extended highlights from the Arsenal - Cologne game today and Jack looked really, really good.
Better than I remember him being last year!

Funny how people's opinion of Jack varies.

I thought he was genenerally excellent until the tactical switch in late Jan to a two man midfield then he looked swamped but still classy at times! I know the stats don't back this up but he often was the assist before the assist.

Neil Dawson - 15/9/2017 07:31

Funny how people's opinion of Jack varies.

I thought he was genenerally excellent until the tactical switch in late Jan to a two man midfield then he looked swamped but still classy at times! I know the stats don't back this up but he often was the assist before the assist.

Exactly this. He has always been the player who creates the assist if that makes sense.

Not only was he our best midfielder last season, he made the other midfielders play with so much more confidence and their games probably lifted about 10-15%.

Thought jack was very good up to xmas but after that he seemed to have very little left in the tank and was quite slow. Deservedly dropped imho but had a vital role as a late impact sub. I am sure Eddie is aware of the situation - did we bid for that Napoli midfielder? If so we wouldn't be having this debate if he had joined us.

;