Francis and Surman both gone

Blimey. Expected us to keep atleast 2/3. Francis didn’t actually look too bad last season when called upon. Surman barely got any playing time and Daniels has something to offer on return from injury

going to be missed in the dressing room and around the training ground, leaves us desperately short of leaders
just hope we've got some ready made (but younger) replacements to come in?

Do you think its a bad move then?

Personally I’d have kept all three. At the very least I’d be keeping Charlie Daniels, so there’s still time for that.

I think Francis could have been very useful as a leader and experience amongst the defensive group. Leaves just Steve Cook as a right sided centre back as well (I know the hope is Chris Mepham).

Charlie Daniels stays for training while recuperating from his injury.

Good servants to our club in both Francis and Surman.

For myself I think Simon Francis has been one of the most consistent players for our club since he came from Charlton and also one of our best signings and free.

Enjoyed his partnership with Ritchie and Simon was one if not the best crossers of the ball we had at that time.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/francis-and-surman-depart-club/

Last edited:
Personally I’d have kept all three. At the very least I’d be keeping Charlie Daniels, so there’s still time for that.

I think Francis could have been very useful as a leader and experience amongst the defensive group. Leaves just Steve Cook as a right sided centre back as well.
I do think they were fantastic players but I also understand why a change of guard is needed. They will be missed I'm sure.

If you want to try and glean something positive from this then I’d suggest it shows that we have funds available to replace them and that we have replacements in mind. Given the short turnaround before the season starts the easy and cheap solution would have been to have signed them up on vastly reduced contracts, which I’m sure they’d have taken.

I’m surprised but I’m also intrigued to see what now comes in the next few weeks....

I think Francis could have been very useful as a leader and experience amongst the defensive group. Leaves just Steve Cook as a right sided centre back as well (I know the hope is Chris Mepham).
Ooh careful DJ... that fence might not stay up unless you get back on it quick... Your Jason starting to mould his squad, thought you’d be over the moon! ;)

Not really surprising. Good servants to the club, but we need younger players and are pretty well stocked in their respective positions. Must be a saving of circa £2m a year in wages as well.
We will need experience this season. Surman is a leader on and off the pitch and would have been a major asset.

Leaving the club when we probably need them the most is not the best of ideas. Both are very likeble and are leaders in the dressing room...

I hope I'm right in saying this is the only terrible mistake Tindall will make...

Mixed feelings on this.

I’ve been saying for a while it’s not the same Championship we played in 6 years ago. These certainly aren’t the same players they were 6 years ago either. Experience can be a key factor however.

The emphasis in this league is on bright, young, quick and skilful players. I hope that’s the direction we are now going in.

Thanks for the memories guys!

;