Fullbacks discussion

GaryRB

UTC Legend
We'll all have our favourite individuals, and as a pairing, Charlie Daniels and Simon Francis will live long as our most successful.pairing, part of our best ever team.
BUT, these 2 have the potential to challenge, if not succeed them, if we keep hold of them for a while. Looks a fantastic bit of business

We'll all have our favourite individuals, and as a pairing, Charlie Daniels and Simon Francis will live long as our most successful.pairing, part of our best ever team.
BUT, these 2 have the potential to challenge, if not succeed them, if we keep hold of them for a while. Looks a fantastic bit of business

Without doubt. Daniels and Francis will always be loved, hold a special place in fans hearts, but the two new boys are/will be another level or two altogether in years to come. Exceptional talents imo.

John Bailey and Neil Young.

Bailey joined as a right winger and was converted to centre mid, before getting seriously injured - one of my favourite AFCB players actually... proper nutter, 100% committed. Totally suited to being a CM back in the 90's 442 days.

Paul Morrell
Keith Rowlands
Neil Masters

Decent production line of left backs in the 80s and 90s.

Daniels and Franno were exceptional. I think I am slightly rose tinted on them both due to the players they had in front of them in Ritchie and Pugh and the level of understanding they had. Super sexy football.

Nothing to touch Franno and Danno so far I’ve seen for bossing PL games but these two could get there and beyond like others have said.

Franno and Daniels were superb, in that incredible machine that was the Championship winning team!

I think they would have likely struggled to be anywhere near as effective, or play much at all tbh, if they left us for say someone like Palace, or pretty much any other PL team during their era... a little like when 10 players of that Huddersfield playoff team left for the Championship or bigger League 1 teams... most flopped and ended up drifting into anonymity in the lower leagues.

Kerke and Aarons are much younger and have vastly higher potential ceiling than Daniels and Francis imo.

Franno and Charlie Daniels were unbelievable full backs and part of their success was the quality of partnership with the midfielders they played with, namely ritchie and Pugh.

Not sure we will repeat that with Aarons and Kerkez given the options AI has in the wide positions; thus a lot of different players playing with them. That’s not to detract from our current full backs but to confirm it will be a different strength they offer.

Milos Kerkez is only 19 and Max Aarons is 23, so both younger than the other pair you mention above when they joined us in League 1.

Both Kerkez and Aarons get better with each game and today they both had good games.

So as they grow with our club they can only get better.

Charlie Daniels seemed to have a telepathic understanding with Marc Pugh.

Simon Francis had a good link up with Matt Ritchie as well.

It remains to be seen if our two new fullbacks can build the same understanding with their wing partner as that could keep changing with the number of wingers on our books.

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen so far, based on ability Max Aarons is levels above any full back we’ve ever had. It’s like having a solid defensive full back and a winger in one player.

I know we all see things differently but I thought that performance from Aaron’s from about 20 mins in was the most complete that I have ever seen from one of our full backs. He dominated their left winger - so much so the guy was booked out of frustration and then subbed. When Sterling was moved across I don’t remember him creating a single thing. He had a wayward shot from the edge of the box but that was it. Kerkez is such a prospect too - his decision making for a 19 year old is awesome.

;