Gary Cahill

Your anti Parker agenda is really hitting rock bottom now. Would class Parker as a member of staff ffs.

Actually, I'm not particularly anti Parker. I think he's got the job done, but I agree with Topfarrier that Cahill not mentioning his manager is rather odd. Am sure Topfarrier and I are not the only ones to think this. I think it's not unreasonable to therefore wonder whether Parker and Gary have indeed not seen eye to eye over the last few months. It's not saying anything against Parker, just that my hunch is that something is amiss between the two of them.

Cahill got us promoted..bigger influence than any other player....our early season form with him in the team fired up the points total that eventually saved our capitulation in some games in the post- October and post-Xmas periods...we were mid-table or worse by ' form' with him out of the team....anyone who can't see that would be advised to switch to the egg- chasing game or Lacrosse!

“All of staff” is pretty inclusive isn’t it? If said “all but one person” then I might think there was something in it.

Not going to be a glowing goodbye re a manager that hasn’t picked him for 3 months.

Cahill got us promoted..bigger influence than any other player....our early season form with him in the team fired up the points total that eventually saved our capitulation in some games in the post- October and post-Xmas periods...we were mid-table or worse by ' form' with him out of the team....anyone who can't see that would be advised to switch to the egg- chasing game or Lacrosse!
He didn't play for the last 3 months yes a big part of our promotion squad, but the likes of Travers, Dom and Billing did more to get us promotion

“All of staff” is pretty inclusive isn’t it? If said “all but one person” then I might think there was something in it.

Not going to be a glowing goodbye re a manager that hasn’t picked him for 3 months.

"I have have thoroughly enjoyed working with this great group of PLAYERS and I want to wish them and all of the staff, the very best for the future."

He mentioned the staff, the players, but not the manager specifically. That is quite telling. It's often not what people say that expresses their feelings but what they don't say. Ordinarily, wouldn't the manager who brought him in and gave him the opportunity deserve a mention? I'd say something has gone wrong between him and Parker.

Maybe...but surely recognise that Cahill got us off to a good start and some of the young players would have been lifted by his presence around the place and on the field for the initial games.

I think given the frequency of mid-week fixtures, Parker may have just thought he'd run out of steam. Given his age, that's no insult. Cahill was great for us in the first half of the season. With rotation, he probably could have performed well to the end, but Parker doesn't really do rotation. Cahill may feel hard done by as may Mepham because there are arguments that Phillips isn't better than either, but at the end of the day, the manager has to go with instinct.

Last edited:
"I have have thoroughly enjoyed working with this great group of PLAYERS and I want to wish them and all of the staff, the very best for the future."

He mentioned the staff, the players, but not the manager specifically. That is quite telling. It's often not what people say that expresses their feelings but what they don't say. Ordinarily, wouldn't the manager who brought him in and gave him the opportunity deserve a mention? I'd say something has gone wrong between him and Parker.
So the manager isn’t staff then? I think you’re reading too much into this.

He has, he said staff.

So why mention players then? I would say it's normal for someone to say "Thanks to everyone at the club and the fans" or "Thanks to the players, the manager, all the other staff and the fans". Also, given that he didn't get a look in after his red, I'm just reading between the lines and it's my hunch.

I think given the frequency of mid-week fixtures, Parker may have just thought he'd run out of steam. Given his age, that's no insult. Cahill was great for us in the first half of the season. With rotation, he probably could have performed well to the end, but Parker doesn't really do rotation. Cahill may feel hard done by as may Mepham because there are arguments that Phillips isn't better than either, but at the end of the day, the manager has to go with instinct.
And our final league position shows that SP's instinct may well have been correct. He is paid to reach objectives and our objective was promotion. His decisions resulted in the club achieving that objective, so no complaints from me.
Unfortunately in SP's position, there is little room for sentiment. Unfortunately once Cahill dropped out of the team, there was no valid reason to bring him back in.

;