Gary O'Neil

A big no from Wolves fans

There's also another thread where like many they were shocked we sacked him (deserve relegation as a result blah blah) then a slow dawning that most of us weren't that upset, then he'd do well at a Championship club now its a complete meltdown at the prospect he might go there.

I'd be surprised if he did, perhaps the likes of Potter have said no.

If he went to Wolves I’m convinced he would still be the first manager to lose his job this season. His tenure with us relied solely on us having a decent squad to keep us up. Big plus for us though!
Luton, Sheff U and Wolves for the drop

If he ends up going there then good luck to him. We can't hold any animosity towards the guy as he succeeded in getting his directive of keeping us up last season. To be honest I wasnt always enthralled with the football we played under him and I was hugely disappointed with the way we ended the season once we were safe. I also feel the way he was sacked was ruthless ,however, although surprised , I wasn't shocked when I heard the news. I wish him all the best in whatever his next job may be. He deserves another crack and it would certainly be ironic if he led wolves to a higher finish than ourselves and certainly two fingers stuck up to his previous employer. I'll get behind the new guy but just because he has La Liga experience it doesn't automatically mean he'll be a success in the PL.

Honestly, I wouldn't say it had to be anyone's fault. A huge amount of what happens in sport is random, especially in terms of results, particularly between competitors of similar strengths. It's entirely possible for Iraola to be a better manager than GON, for us to have a slightly better squad than Wolves, for us to play better than Wolves over the course of the season . . . and then for us to get relegated because of variance. Nobody's fault, just dumb luck.

Exactly. So many variables at play. Obviously I haven't conducted a survey of all AFCB fans, but I'd be surprised if 10%, if that, would take o Neil over Iraola right now.

O Neil may work out to be a better manager, but I'm sure I'd be feeling significantly less positive/excitement about our future right now if o Neil was at the helm.

Good luck to Gary...wherever he lands...

...those last 4 or 5 defeats we had after clearing the drop zone was, i'd say, only about 5% Gary's fault...and 95% the players commitment onfield...a hybrid of 'on the beach'..and 'couldn't give a toss'. Oh yes Batman...it was fairly obvious...
...there is still a small but significant clique of players at DC who are of that ilk ....and I reckon that's part of what happened when Yems was ousted....Howe didn't want to hear it from a staff member....and as no other coherent explanation has been forthcoming...I'm sticking with that...

It will be interesting how Mr Iraola views things and organises in terms of how players present themselves.

O'Neil....got us our first ever win at Spurs...we should never forget that...and the key wins at St Mary's and versus big/little Leeds !

This isn't one of my edgy reaction-seeking offerings....it's purely what I think...ok mainly based on instincts....but nevertheless lodged firmly in the gridlocked space between my ears.

:throw:... Here we go...the Elite, the Woke Brigade...the PC wallers, the gang - up cliques...and the Sheepdip will be along in 5 minutes or so....that's if I ain't reached saturation point on 'Ignore'.

Hoho Uncle Joe and Aunty Jean..whatever...whoever....it's over to Full Steam 'Up the Cherries' soon....and the posts switch into mainly Results Based !

Last edited:

;