Gary O'Neil

If it wasn’t for the “Everton week” he’d have never got the job full time and would probably have been headed for a career as a number two at best somewhere else eventually.
yeah but Iraola hasn't even beaten Everton so....

Reactions: DJ
yeah Chelsea was a real edge of seat game when we had 34% possession...at home....to a team a few places above us. Yeah, a GON masterclass

I'm not saying it was great but the way it's talked about nowadays is that the guy deserved to lose his job over it. Those infamous four games have taken on an almost mythical status in the time since, they weren't great but they probably didn't influence the decision to replace him at all.

Did he actually say that or has it been taken out of context? I'd be surprised if he actually said that without adding something such as "At some points in the match..., but...". Seems like the article could well have been written by certain people on here whose main purpose in life has been to demonise O'Neil.

I'm not saying it was great but the way it's talked about nowadays is that the guy deserved to lose his job over it. Those infamous four games have taken on an almost mythical status in the time since, they weren't great but they probably didn't influence the decision to replace him at all.
Never said he should have been replaced over those four games. Just my reaction to his replacement was oh ok. Thanks and good luck. I certainly am not going to argue for him to have stayed that is for sure.

I actually agree ....i don't think those four games had any bearing on him losing the job.
The owners just thought we could do better.

Did he actually say that or has it been taken out of context? I'd be surprised if he actually said that without adding something such as "At some points in the match..., but...". Seems like the article could well have been written by certain people on here whose main purpose in life has been to demonise O'Neil.

It’s been pretty widely reported so I doubt it’s taken out of context, I’m sure there will be a video somewhere, but I found this one instead and got distracted…

You seriously think had he won them all 4-0 and beaten the points record for the club in the top flight we’d be signing about paella every week?

Blimey…

Why stop there Neil, why not make up some even more ludicrous scenario where he won them all 10-0, scored 5 in each and was handed a 25 year contract?

In reality he lost four dead rubbers, two of the performances were very poor, the other two were average but I don't think the club made the decision to get rid based on those results no.

Why stop there Neil, why not make up some even more ludicrous scenario where he won them all 10-0, scored 5 in each and was handed a 25 year contract?

In reality he lost four dead rubbers, two of the performances were very poor, the other two were average but I don't think the club made the decision to get rid based on those results no.
It was you that made the ludicrous scenario that those matches were not the issue. I genuinely believe had he won them all and beaten our points record he would still be here

They weren’t actually dead rubbers. We weren’t mathematically safe until after our dire performance away to Palace. #Masterclass

It was you that made the ludicrous scenario that those matches were not the issue. I genuinely believe had he won them all and beaten our points record he would still be here

They made the decision based on a bunch of dead rubbers? So they started looking around for a new manager at the end of May then managed to bag one of the most sought after managers in European football three weeks later? Ok Neil sure.

Last edited:
They made the decision based on a bunch of dead rubbers? So they started looking around for a new manager at the end of May then managed to bag one of the most sought after managers in European football after the three weeks later? Ok Neil sure.
They were all your words…. You do realise that.

More rational people would think they probably think about back ups all the time but had the team not showed what they thought of the boss by switching off and instead switched on and beaten Eddie Howes best ever season they wouldn’t have pushed the button.

They made the decision based on a bunch of dead rubbers? So they started looking around for a new manager at the end of May then managed to bag one of the most sought after managers in European football after the three weeks later? Ok Neil sure.
I certainly think that fans would have wanted GON kept if the last four games had not been a condensed version of his whole tenure as manager. Ok games intermingled with tripe. Fans would probably have been way more miffed at dropping him.

At least from my viewpoint.

The last four games should have been a celebration but they turned into a wake

More rational people would think they probably think about back ups all the time but had the team not showed what they thought of the boss by switching off and instead switched on and beaten Eddie Howes best ever season they wouldn’t have pushed the button.

What were my words?

I don't know what your point is tbh. I think it extremely unlikely that the results in those last four games had any bearing on a decision that they had already made. I don't know but I'd be very surprised if they weren't already speaking to IR well before the end of the season.

They've shown that they aren't knee-jerk decision makers hence why they didn't sack him when he was struggling. I suspect that when they decided to move on from him though.

Lol did you not listen to our owners explanation as to why we got rid of him?......it had nothing to do with a few results at the end of the season.......I imagine that it had everything to do with a better .....more exciting manager becoming available.

Lol did you not listen to our owners explanation as to why we got rid of him?......it had nothing to do with a few results at the end of the season.......I imagine that it had everything to do with a better .....more exciting manager becoming available.
Yes…. After he’d watched us bore the pants off everyone once we had the opportunity to play with the shackles off.

I think he would have understood the previous pragmatism had we played out the season with flair and would have felt like we might have been more entertaining this year.

Ultimately we won’t know as we didn’t.

Yes…. After he’d watched us bore the pants off everyone once we had the opportunity to play with the shackles off.

I think he would have understood the previous pragmatism had we played out the season with flair and would have felt like we might have been more entertaining this year.

Ultimately we won’t know as we didn’t.
But Bill knew Gon wouldn't play like that.......he said so......he said that we wanted to play a more exciting brand of football and Gon just wasn't that type of manager and when he heard that Andoni was available he decided to pull the trigger......i mean in fairness he couldn't have been clearer.

But Bill knew Gon wouldn't play like that.......he said so......he said that we wanted to play a more exciting brand of football and Gon just wasn't that type of manager and when he heard that Andoni was available he decided to pull the trigger......i mean in fairness he couldn't have been clearer.

It doesn't matter, if it doesn't support his point he ignores the horses mouth. Obviously if bill had said something that supported his view he would trot it out endlessly.

;