Gary O'Neil

We are so tinpot it’s unreal-

So we have after weeks and weeks of deliberation come to the conclusion that the best man to lead us forward for this new era, is the guy that was in caretaker charge anyway. The guy who has managed a measly 12 games of senior football. There was not a single candidate out there in world football who is better qualified for the task. I’m not sure what is more staggering, the incompetence of our board, or how blind many of our fans are to it. It’s not like this hasn’t even happened before FFS. Remember when we spent 2 months looking for a manager and then gave it the care taker anyway (Woodgate?) How people can possibly be content with these clowns running out club is beyond me.

So we have after weeks and weeks of deliberation come to the conclusion that the best man to lead us forward for this new era, is the guy that was in caretaker charge anyway. The guy who has managed a measly 12 games of senior football. There was not a single candidate out there in world football who is better qualified for the task. I’m not sure what is more staggering, the incompetence of our board, or how blind many of our fans are to it. It’s not like this hasn’t even happened before FFS. Remember when we spent 2 months looking for a manager and then gave it the care taker anyway (Woodgate?) How people can possibly be content with these clowns running out club is beyond me.
Good to hear it's received your backing.
It is what it is – GON will do well I'm sure.

Not only are you extremely repetitive I didn’t know when you became qualified to say many of our fans are blind, need I remind you of your predictions last season?

I know. Only 13th at present after some tw@ts reckoned we wouldn't even reach 11 points.

You really haven’t got a clue about the realities of life and the often complexities of business in particular have you. It’s not like playing Football Manager (doubtless with a box of tissues at the ready in your case) as if that’s a substitute for the real world.

Leeds fans and some reports were saying that Bielsa doesn’t start with a club part of the way through a season as his tactics of play take time for the players to take on board.

We were also warned that he is meticulous in his research before joining clubs and maybe his demands were above what our new owner was prepared to accept.

We may never know why he decided not to come.

You really haven’t got a clue about the realities of life and the often complexities of business in particular have you. It’s not like playing Football Manager (doubtless with a box of tissues at the ready in your case) as if that’s a substitute for the real world.
Are you going down the onanist path again? ;-)

Leeds fans and some reports were saying that Bielsa doesn’t start with a club part of the way through a season as his tactics of play take time for the players to take on board.

We were also warned that he is meticulous in his research before joining clubs and maybe his demands were above what our new owner was prepared to accept.

We may never know why he decided not to come.
Neil knows already.

Only my own personal view but I think Bielsa would have been a nightmare appointment for us. He would want absolute control and I don’t think we’d have enough time to adjust to his methods before May. O’Neill knows the players, they all seem to like him, let’s get right behind him and bring some big hitters in during Jan!

Makes you wonder if the Bielsa deal has fully fallen through or if they are keeping him on the hook for the summer if O'Neil fails.

I’m “whelmed” by this seeming appointment. I like O’Neil, hopefully he’s learned from his mistakes in the middle portion of his tenure. I also think the wins against Everton were good but perhaps a false dawn considering how dogshit Everton were.

Have to say whoever’s decision it was to go all in on Bielsa, it was a moronic one. Personally, I don’t think he would’ve worked for us; the thing we actually need right now is stability, because scoring goals isn’t the problem many of us thought it would be at present. It’s our switching off at set pieces and winning positions, reminiscent of the last PL era. Bielsa is also famous for not joining clubs midseason and is incredibly meticulous, dare I say “anal”, about what he expects. If we weren’t going to go all in and give him what he wants, why even bother approaching him?

We’ve targeted a manager who imo:
1. Doesn’t suit our squad in a few key areas, and doesn’t address any of the issues we have.
2. Doesn’t join clubs midseason.
3. Takes months and months to get the players playing how he wants. We don’t have months and months.

I’m not in any camp, I’m just calling it how I see it. Outside looking in this looks like a very shoddy job. There must be a manager out there in the world, in a job or not, that would fit in well at the club. If they really thought O’Neil was up to it, and wholeheartedly believed in him, then they should have appointed him ages ago. I would’ve respected that more tbh. Kinda just feels like we dumped the steady 6/10 to chase after the South American model, got rejected, and slinked back to settle with what we have. Looks very amateurish to me.

If we thought Bielsa was a better person for the job than O’Neil, then the board have ended up with their seemingly clear second choice (especially the way it’s dragged on). I would’ve liked there to have seemed like there was a bit more of a plan in place for Parker not working out. It feels like we’ve gone out to a restaurant for a nice meal, found out the dish we initially wanted is out of stock, and gone home for a microwave dinner rather than just…keep looking at the menu. Football is a big menu. It’s not just “the one guy we looked at and our own coaches”. Was there not even like an informal shortlist of potential names to target? A handful of potential appointments?

Again it’s not necessarily an end result that I dislike. I like how O’Neil approaches games, and his initial tactical set ups seem like they work. If he gets in a good defensive coach and gets the players to see out games a bit more confidently, then tbh I think we do stay up.

This whole process has felt very tinpot.

We behave like a League One club at times behind the scenes. Our extensive global search led to one single candidate who seems to have been way out of our price range. And now surprise surprise, the second best candidate in the world happens to be the assistant again.
I'll back GON and think he's done a solid job, but I don't think he's the man to take us forward under new ownership.

I think he is the real deal now and in the future.
Real quality coach and communicater.I also feel he needs a highly rated assistant.

You obviously don't have the ability to recognise the quality of GON. You probably would have passed the same comments when Eddie Howe was appointed.

I've never believed GON to be the right choice, for many reasons, however, if this goes ahead, at least its sorted and we can get behind him fully... Hopefully he'll bring in more experience to support him and Coops/Elphick can go back to the dev squad and developing themselves as well...

The fact that this is looking like an 'initial' 18 months, shows there is a degree of caution there which is at least something I guess... It also keeps one eye on the prospect of relegation as GON will be more than suitable 1 league down and we wont have some high profile manager jumping ship in 8 months...

Everywhere you read and listen, the footballing World are contradicting my thoughts in that they believe GON has done more than enough to get the job... I just hope we've not been seduced by the '2 wins over Everton' week...

Lets just get it confirmed and move on...

;