Gary O'Neil

Parker will surely be far away on a tropical beach drinking cocktails and wearing Thom Browne trunks. He sure as hell underestimated his team. We've still got a long way to go, but nothing can take the sweetness of tokay from us, and we have much more chance of being successful without Parker.

Pretty sure he'll be in Jamaica drinking beer, not cocktails. Red stripe. Four of them.

Parker should never be employed in football again,really hope he sinks without a trace now.
And I was one of his happy clappers last season.

If he learns from it, there is no problem. He can turn things around and do a decent job elsewhere. The major problem is when someone with 3 and a bit years of management starts thinking they know everything rather than looking around, seeking advice, appreciating the unique context they are working in and choosing to believe rather than being defeatist and as harsh as this sounds, behaving like a bit of a coward really.

I hope we play it slow with finding a new manager, and keep him and the current team in place until then - no need to rush esp given results

him + tommy and/or coops need to at least be in senior coaching positions in the long tern for sure - clearly doing something right

also could treat world cup break as a semi-preseason for new manager as we likely wont have loads of players travelling so embed new tactics etc (but wouldnt wanna change too much - need a manager that gets it)

also jan window has much more fixtures after start so chance for any signings we do make to really make an impact

Stop the "Give him the job" calls.
It's just 2 games FFS.
What he has done, he has done excellently, and has most importantly bought us time to make a decision on the next manager.
If we had lost the lost two, we might have hurriedly bought in Dyche or the like, and that would be disastrous.

Stop the "Give him the job" calls.
It's just 2 games FFS.
What he has done, he has done excellently, and has most importantly bought us time to make a decision on the next manager.
If we had lost the lost two, we might have hurriedly bought in Dyche or the like, and that would be disastrous.

Didn't Bradders have an impressive streak as caretaker before going to sh1t and his weasknesses being exposed after 10-12 games after Howe left?

Although I think its fair to say O'Neil has a bit more to him...

It's a tough call, but one Blake will milk to fckerry.

The most sensible option in my opinion would be offering him the job up until the world cup if they want to take the cheap option.

Don't get me wrong, the guy has already created miracles compared to what Parker offered.

But if the board do want to employ him, give him a comparative 4 month contract, on good wages, with the option to extend.

The clubs option to extend, not a 5 year deal for the interim.

O'Neil and the club have nothing to lose in that type of scenario.

Clearly O'Neil has already exceeded expectations...... but interim managers rarely work out well, long term.

Give him a 3 month contact Blake, and have someone bloody good to replace him with if it doesn't work out.

Not rocket science.

Last edited:
I would keep him in the job until the winter break and review the situation then, I would tell them that now, so everyone can settle.
The feeling amongst most of our fan base is we can't bring in a Bielsa, Rodgers or Benitez because we are too small, so why try and get a mediocre manager (like dyche) and all his entourage and new ideas? If a great manager becomes available then yes go for him, but until then let's keep the "siege mentality" and have faith in the team on and off the pitch.

I would keep him in the job until the winter break and review the situation then, I would tell them that now, so everyone can settle.
The feeling amongst most of our fan base is we can't bring in a Bielsa, Rodgers or Benitez because we are too small, so why try and get a mediocre manager (like dyche) and all his entourage and new ideas? If a great manager becomes available then yes go for him, but until then let's keep the "siege mentality" and have faith in the team on and off the pitch.

Yes I feel assured keeping O'Neil in place, at least for now. Lets see how he does over next few games, weeks, month or so... up to world cup break if deemed necessary. Take each game as it comes basically and review.

Definitely wouldn;t rush in, given most the usual names being linked. Obviously if strong, interesting candidate is available then wouldn;t want us to miss out on that.
Or if wheels start rapidly falling off after positive start O'Neil has made (sign of limited ability as head coach, found out and not able to adapt...).

As it stands not hearing any names so far that makes me feel we need to make quick appointment, but at same time wouldn;t want us to dive in and give o'neil the job based on a couple of games.

Basically, as long as we're in contentation for a (fully expected) European slot, I'm satisfied...

Thing is that O’Neill is the sort of manager that does well at afcb ably supported by coops and Tommy.

I know it pees off many on here given the desire for worldly wise football coaches but they know the club and know how we operate. Choosing a new US owner that doesn’t understand the club fills me with dread.

Thing is that O’Neill is the sort of manager that does well at afcb ably supported by coops and Tommy.

I know it pees off many on here given the desire for worldly wise football coaches but they know the club and know how we operate. Choosing a new US owner that doesn’t understand the club fills me with dread.
No desire from me for a ‘worldly wise’ football manager. I do think though that we should interview from a pool of decent candidates including Gary so we know there is nobody better. Caretakers get a bounce. Especially after a divisive manager. Football management is about longevity though and twists and turns. Gary has done really well but he has only had three games (one win). He is in the right place and there is no rush to appoint is there, especially with a takeover looming.

;