Gary O'Neil

I'm delighted for Gary, completely the right choice. After all the criticism I have come in for, the board did the right thing.

I wouldn't compare this to Tindall at all, this is an excellent appointment on so many levels. From speaking to Gary he is driven, determined and dedicated. A young manager who wants to prove his worth.

And I think he will. He will keep us up. He will spend sensibly and will be keeping the core and the heart together at the club including Tommy. That core could have been lost had we gone for a big name.

Let's continue to create our own identity rather than looking to those elsewhere! 11,000 fans were behind him and it seems many others are too on Facebook!

My only reservation is what will the GON appointment mean for recruitment targets. Several of our great players have cited EH's known ability to develop players. It was a known and recognised talent and helped us secure some notable signings and loans. As of yet GON does not have as attractive a CV and will take time for him to gain that aura of a great manager. We may dip out in to the transfer market short term as a result or just attract wage slaves. Don't get me wrong, Bielsa might have attracted players who like his style, but I don't think he was the guy for us.
So let's hope GON has some luck to go with his talent and that reputation can be built quickly.

All three were paid off. What do you think happened they voluntarily left with no money because they were concerned about the clubs finances?
I've no doubt Parker was paid off, Eddie said in an interview it was mutual agreement, so as part of that who knows what was agreed, tindall was probably paid something, but given he started working soon after he left us, who knows.
The point is neither of us know, but I'm the only one saying I don't know, you clearly have hacked the Afcb network and downloaded their contracts.

My only reservation is what will the GON appointment mean for recruitment targets. Several of our great players have cited EH's known ability to develop players. It was a known and recognised talent and helped us secure some notable signings and loans. As of yet GON does not have as attractive a CV and will take time for him to gain that aura of a great manager. We may dip out in to the transfer market short term as a result or just attract wage slaves. Don't get me wrong, Bielsa might have attracted players who like his style, but I don't think he was the guy for us.
So let's hope GON has some luck to go with his talent and that reputation can be built quickly.

I hope the takeover alone will help Gary attract some talent. I'm sure he's marked where he wants to strengthen and I have no doubt Richard Hughes is looking at options now. I think we will spend but sensibly. Another defender, another option up front and I think we should be good

I see GON as a decent option to keep us up. That’s the primary objective. After that, let’s review at the end of season to see who is the best manager to develop beyond that. It may not be GON if there is a better alternative who is now ready to join us and I would be ok with that. Contract length sort of suggests similar.

Last edited:
I think some experience and back up in the coaching team too

I think that would be great for Gary. Not sure who he would bring in, I'd possibly look at Charlie Daniels. At the end of my interview with him he hinted that he would love to come back. Now might be the time

I see GON as a decent option to keep us up. That’s the primary objective. After that, let’s review at the end of season to see who is the best manager to develop beyond that. It may not be GON if there is a better alternative who is now ready to join us and I would be ok with that.

Agree completely, look again at the end of the season at how things have gone. But for now, Gary has this lot on his side and he's earned his chance. A new manager might disrupt that harmony (unless Eddie became available which is unlikely)

I think that would be great for Gary. Not sure who he would bring in, I'd possibly look at Charlie Daniels. At the end of my interview with him he hinted that he would love to come back. Now might be the time

What impresses you about Daniels in a coaching capacity. My first reaction is an eyeroll and wry smile, not at you, but just the idea of yet another ex player coming back as a coach. He may have great credentials of course, just makes me laugh at a glance.

I've no doubt Parker was paid off, Eddie said in an interview it was mutual agreement, so as part of that who knows what was agreed, tindall was probably paid something, but given he started working soon after he left us, who knows.
The point is neither of us know, but I'm the only one saying I don't know, you clearly have hacked the Afcb network and downloaded their contracts.
Good, so we are agreed all three were paid off.

Neil replied to a question I asked if he knew these posts as facts. He replied in all fairness he didn’t.
The point is the way he words his posts.

They probably do. ;)
To be honest it's a part of football from national league to Premier. Look at Watford, what ever pay off in a contract will be entirely personal to that contract. The likes of Tuchel or even Jose will be far higher than a new manager like a tindall who would be desperate for a first opportunity.
But if you want to bash Blake then it's easy to say they were paid off millions

I hope the takeover alone will help Gary attract some talent. I'm sure he's marked where he wants to strengthen and I have no doubt Richard Hughes is looking at options now. I think we will spend but sensibly. Another defender, another option up front and I think we should be good

I would say a couple or 3 going out on loan or permanent

;