Gary O'Neil

I don’t want an aggressive American owner who knows nothing about football making decisions that are football related. It is a plan for a disaster. We are in the PL and the current staff and management have put us here. If he wants to blow it up the first move should have been dumping the management staff. We’ll see who he appoints and who is retained. I don't like meddling owners. They are the type, once they figure out the limitations of the market…well, MK Dons. In any event, Foley now owns this. I’ll give him all the credit if we wind up in Europe and all the blame if we find us in League Two in three years. And, personally, I don’t give a crap about his Las Vegas hockey team. Other than Bournemouth is not Las Vegas, it is a far nicer place than Las Vegas, and having attended a few Golden Knights games I find their game management repulsive. He owns three American teams: one has been OTT with success, one a complete failure and one so so. Time will tell what happens here. O’Neill deserved to start the next year as manager based on merit.

I know nothing of this Spanish guy but IMO I am struggling to understand how he offers more than GON right now… Not trying to be an advocate of GON but the harsh reality is that at least GON was a known entity with PL experience… I’m struggling to see how this other guy is no more of a punt than sticking with what we had…

I know nothing of this Spanish guy but IMO I am struggling to understand how he offers more than GON right now… Not trying to be an advocate of GON but the harsh reality is that at least GON was a known entity with PL experience… I’m struggling to see how this other guy is no more of a punt than sticking with what we had…
That was my reaction too when I heard that he’s in the frame. I know he’s mentioned a fair bit because of what he’s achieved in Spain, albeit at a lower level, however I would have thought Potter would have been a better bet. But then what do I know.

I don’t want an aggressive American owner who knows nothing about football making decisions that are football related. It is a plan for a disaster. We are in the PL and the current staff and management have put us here. If he wants to blow it up the first move should have been dumping the management staff. We’ll see who he appoints and who is retained. I don't like meddling owners. They are the type, once they figure out the limitations of the market…well, MK Dons. In any event, Foley now owns this. I’ll give him all the credit if we wind up in Europe and all the blame if we find us in League Two in three years. And, personally, I don’t give a crap about his Las Vegas hockey team. Other than Bournemouth is not Las Vegas, it is a far nicer place than Las Vegas, and having attended a few Golden Knights games I find their game management repulsive. He owns three American teams: one has been OTT with success, one a complete failure and one so so. Time will tell what happens here. O’Neill deserved to start the next year as manager based on merit.

O'Neil deserved to start next season on merit???? We couldn't defend crosses for toffee under GON! Embarrassing!

I do feel for GON a bit, but let's face it, he's done very well put of AFCB. He was in the right place at the right time and was given a great opportunity that most managers wouldn't get. He took it with both hands so credit to him. He's now in a great position, one that he would never have been in without the lucky break. Hopefully he goes on to achieve great things.

Whatever you may feel about his performance last season and his potential performance next season, or the attributes and potential of the new guy, GON deserved better than being sacked by phone at 6 AM while he was preparing for the new season (assuming that is true).
No doubt the pay off might soften the blow, but he deserves all our thanks for keeping us up and I hope he goes on to become a top quality manager in the PL in due course

I do feel for GON a bit, but let's face it, he's done very well put of AFCB. He was in the right place at the right time and was given a great opportunity that most managers wouldn't get. He took it with both hands so credit to him. He's now in a great position, one that he would never have been in without the lucky break. Hopefully he goes on to achieve great things.
Yes it’s an everyone’s a winner scenario. A year ago he was on low wages and not even the assistant boss. He’s now earned a stack, got that stack to come for a year more and should get a managers job at championship level. I never thought he was the man for the job but… I also never thought he had the ability to keep us up.

I'm stunned and surprised, but ultimately I think it's the right thing to do, especially if, as it appears, we actually have a plan in place for an external appointment.

I think he will be a great coach, maybe even a head coach but the Premier League isn't the place to make your mistakes and gain experience.

He had his clear limitations, along with the backroom team who have failed to improve the defence set up for any kind of cross or set piece.

Less than a month ago the poll read 42% to keep him, 48% to sack him with 10% undecided. After a purple patch like he enjoyed that's pretty poor.

Yeah. I wasn't feeling very optimistic with him as head coach for next season. I found his team selections and subs odd. I also wasn't impressed with the way the season was seen out and was concerned about decent players not being inspired to join us. Feel sorry for O'Neil because his lack of experience wasn't his fault and this feels brutal, but ultimately, this is for the best.

Whatever you may feel about his performance last season and his potential performance next season, or the attributes and potential of the new guy, GON deserved better than being sacked by phone at 6 AM while he was preparing for the new season (assuming that is true).
No doubt the pay off might soften the blow, but he deserves all our thanks for keeping us up and I hope he goes on to become a top quality manager in the PL in due course

Where did you hear that?

;