Gary O'Neil

It's what managers do, downplay their chances before the game to level set expectations - he talked about a couple of suspensions and key injuries. Talk about disparity in finances both before the game and afterwards, to highlight what a job they are doing

For those not watching MNF, they showed footage of the Wolves training ground and O'Neil prepping his team for how to play through our midfield. Then they showed it in action in the game. It worked multiple times and led directly to their first goal. Can't deny O'Neil's preparation is excellent. The only annoying thing is Carragher keeps interrupting to make his usual naff jokes.

For those not watching MNF, they showed footage of the Wolves training ground and O'Neil prepping his team for how to play through our midfield. Then they showed it in action in the game. It worked multiple times and led directly to their first goal. Can't deny O'Neil's preparation is excellent. The only annoying thing is Carragher keeps interrupting to make his usual naff jokes.

Every team has played directly through our midfield. I've never seen a side leave such a massive hole in the middle of the park as we do.

He's just talked about game management and how if his team is say, 1-0 up with 3 minutes left in the half, they don't play around at the back. The tactic is to go long with the forward players in an area to win the second ball. If we were doing this last season, we don't seem to be this season.

Every team has played directly through our midfield. I've never seen a side leave such a massive hole in the middle of the park as we do.
According to O'Neil he was surprised that we actually played two holding midfielders at the weekend (Cook and Scott) where we normally only play with one. He tinkered with things at half time to counter it.

So so true

It’s why I get the string inclination that things just aren’t going to work out as they currently are

Under Howe we also surrendered space but we at least always posed a threat at t’other end, clear forward movements and partnerships that had clearly been drilled to death on the training field

Under the new chap we seem to have next to no incision in the forward areas, yet we still gift the freedom of the park

I have v limited insight, but to my untrained eye I fail to envisage how this can ever be a recipe for success

Near enough every opposition has cut us open at least once or twice a game with one ball through the middle.

Given every club has video analysts coming out their ears these days, it's not exactly secret wizardry.

The challenge for AI is fixing it though 'cos those balls will keep coming.

It's a Lerma shaped hole. Apparently one of the few things you can see from space.

We've never had this consistent problem before and we've played loads of games without Lerma - we were very competitive before he got here and the bloke was a walking suspension. Sure Cook is probably too slow but the manager has to set the side up so it isn't such an issue. He's never managed Lerma, pick from the players you have and find a formation that works.

;