Gary O'Neil

not sure it needs a masterclass to outwit this guy
the press is supposed to be his big ticket but as you pointed out, it's a bit rubbish
what else does he bring?
genuine question

Yeah it definitely gets bypassed quite often. We don't seem to conceded loads from that though it's more stupid mistakes playing out from the back. I think he's happy enough with the risk of the press being bypassed, trouble is we don't look that dangerous other than a couple of goals that have come from it. We definitely give away more goals than we score from the high press.

Yeah it definitely gets bypassed quite often. We don't seem to conceded loads from that though it's more stupid mistakes playing out from the back. I think he's happy enough with the risk of the press being bypassed, trouble is we don't look that dangerous other than a couple of goals that have come from it. We definitely give away more goals than we score from the high press.

but what else does he bring?
innovation at set pieces, a cleaver throw-in, overload down one side of the pitch?
anything?

Strange argument. You called Iraola an "untested amateur.. who couldn't organise a team to look coherent for more than 20 minutes", which is simply rubbish.
And no, I wouldn't take Joey Barton, as he's a knob.
When has the team performed well for more than 45 minutes?
I mean untested at this level, it's a huge step for anyone. We saw it last season with GON and he passed it. Now we've reset and in my opinion we've taken an even bigger step backwards than when Parker got himself sacked. We're the lowest scorer's in the division and that's not because we've been unlucky, we rarely shoot, create very little and don't look at all dangerous.
We totally agree on Joey Barton though.

When has the team performed well for more than 45 minutes?
I mean untested at this level, it's a huge step for anyone. We saw it last season with GON and he passed it. Now we've reset and in my opinion we've taken an even bigger step backwards than when Parker got himself sacked. We're the lowest scorer's in the division and that's not because we've been unlucky, we rarely shoot, create very little and don't look at all dangerous.
We totally agree on Joey Barton though.
Agreed .
There isn’t a game where we have performed well for more than 45 minutes this season . Infact there isn’t a game where we have deserved to win.
People will harp on about the run of games we had . We still have to play Villa, Newcastle and both Manchester clubs . Most of those will rip us a new one with ease.

We create barely anything . Mistakes will happen in this league but those mistakes are highlighted more when you don’t create anything and those mistakes always seem to cost us .

So so true

It’s why I get the string inclination that things just aren’t going to work out as they currently are

Under Howe we also surrendered space but we at least always posed a threat at t’other end, clear forward movements and partnerships that had clearly been drilled to death on the training field

Under the new chap we seem to have next to no incision in the forward areas, yet we still gift the freedom of the park

I have v limited insight, but to my untrained eye I fail to envisage how this can ever be a recipe for success
The space we surrendered under Howe was normally at full back when they got caught forwards. If one of the centre backs had to go cover Suman and latterly Lerma would fill in at centre back. It didn’t always work but it worked enough.

Iraola has 0 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats this season (not including Liverpool away)
In the equivalent 8 games last season, O'Neil had 0 Wins, 1 draw, 7 defeats.

Masterclass
I'm not saying O'Neil is a tactical genius, but didn't we expect a little bit more from Iraola? Some kind of improvement? Attacking intent? We've scored 6 goals this season. Underwhelming to say the least.
People kept saying the season started against Everton, Wolves, etc. We've managed to look 2nd best in those two games as well.

I'm not saying O'Neil is a tactical genius, but didn't we expect a little bit more from Iraola? Some kind of improvement? Attacking intent? We've scored 6 goals this season. Underwhelming to say the least.
People kept saying the season started against Everton, Wolves, etc. We've managed to look 2nd best in those two games as well.
Yes - I agree. I was hoping for more too, but the guy has been in charge for 9 league games. It's way to early to judge him, especially considering that he's said he's trying to get us to play in an entirely different way to last year.

I'm certainly not going to get drawn into slagging him off and calling for him to be replaced, in the same way that I didn't call anyone a PE teacher last year (apart from my lads PE teacher, that is).

This team...or a significant percentage of them...if Iraola is sacked...will have achieved getting a hat -trick of managers sacked....
Parker...O' Neil...Iraola...
...a double hat - trick of managers out of DC...if you add in Howe, Tindall and Woodgate..
....player power....means to an end of getting the perfect choice of manager for their career.....and a comfortable existence along their quest to end up at Old Trafford.
The PL..its idiosyncratic make -up.

It definitely hasn't gone well but it could all change very quickly. If Iraola manges to get them to click, then things could easily start to turn. You're right in that it has been very underwhelming on the whole and confidence is shot but it wouldn't surprise me if O'Neil gets sacked before Iraola.

Well yes, this part did make me smile. O’Neil talking about how different the squad is with £100million spent.

We had two new full backs and a youngster making his first step up from the Championship. The rest played under O’Neil.
And without lerma, probably weaker

;