Gary O'Neil

You can’t blame him for going on the TV to milk how his tactics won the game.

Regardless of your opinion of him he kept us up and his reward was to be sacked by zoom call at 7am. The same charlatan way the chuckle brothers dispensed with some of our finest playing servants. The cowards way.

Anyone worth their salt would behave impeccably in the lead up to and at the game and then Lord it politely afterwards and that’s what he has done. Fair play. Sticking two fingers up at the board with honour.

No issue with him doing that.

We are trying a change for the better. A very radical change with a squad maybe not bought with it in mind and certainly not balanced. Again we don’t have to look far to see why this is….

They either ride it out which may mean going down and coming back or they lurch wildly again in a different direction hoping there’s a manager out there who has developed a formation with seven left wingers in it.

Rock and hard place spring to mind. Expect the latter of those two solutions sometime before Xmas. If it’s Jesse March as is rumoured they are talking to then this forum could get even more entertaining.

Listening to O'Neill explaining how he 'went about Bournemouth'..in some detail....I realised how much I don't know about the modern game...he comes across as a genius...totally lost me....
He is not particularly articulate but not many of them are tbf....
Should I be impressed really ? I don't know....but he did beat Man City...got us our first win at Spurs and a Win and clean sheet v Liverpool.
I really find it hard to align him with any negativity ..and I don't think any Forumites have any solid base for criticism...it's quite bizarre that they have...based mainly on 4 'on the beach' games at the end of last season....the players doing !
The players he inherited from Parker were pretty unimpressive...even I could see that...and I don't think Iraola can be blamed for the recent catastrophic signings by our hierarchy.
But..it's a funny old game..and things can change quickly.

They should have asked him why he made such horrendous team selections for the last 5 games of the season and walked himself out of a job? The fella was talking like he is a tactical mastermind, but was instrumental in getting himself fired and has acted like it was a complete shock and unfounded.
Survival was achieved after a mammoth 7 games in April - players relaxed in may. If the club really based that decision to axe GON on those games then we really are in trouble.

I believe the decision was taken when GON was appointed given other choices weren’t available until the summer - hence length of contract.

Max would have loved Gary as manager and his down-to-earth manner fits the old afcb way. Bill thinks differently and took a punt on AI.

Listening to O'Neill explaining how he 'went about Bournemouth'..in some detail....I realised how much I don't know about the modern game...he comes across as a genius...totally lost me....
He is not particularly articulate but not many of them are tbf....
Should I be impressed really ? I don't know....but he did beat Man City...got us our first win at Spurs and a Win and clean sheet v Liverpool.
I really find it hard to align him with any negativity ..and I don't think any Forumites have any solid base for criticism...it's quite bizarre that they have...based mainly on 4 'on the beach' games at the end of last season....the players doing !
The players he inherited from Parker were pretty unimpressive...even I could see that...and I don't think Iraola can be blamed for the recent catastrophic signings by our hierarchy.
But..it's a funny old game..and things can change quickly.
As you say, “quite bizarre” is a good description of a lot of the negativity. Obvious he is a very bright coach - interestingly he talks a lot about adaptability to the opposition strengths given the quality in the prem; many fans want a defined style - imho not always possible in the prem

Bill has quite clearly said he listened to the board on AI. He took the punt on their recommendation.

There's an irony there isn't there. You were banging on for all of last season about how incompetent the board were because they appointed the successful Gary O'Neil rather than appointing a decent coach from abroad. Not only did they do this they appointed the very one you had earmarked as the one for the job. It seems that them finally doing what you wanted them to do all along is what's going to finally get them sacked.

Mind you you wanted Howe to be strupped of power and when they did that he walked.

Not that good at this Neil are you?

Critics of GON - just watch the clip on sky when he talks about preparing for 4vs 3 match ups and how it led to their equaliser on Saturday. Good glimpse of Gary’s coaching ability. Didn’t look tedious or boring.

He has contradicted himself tbh - once said it was his decision and then it was the view of the football people. Not sure what the real story is.
He has stated that the football people identified the new manager and made the case for a change but it was Foley that pressed the button there and then and said not to wait around.

Critics of GON - just watch the clip on sky when he talks about preparing for 4vs 3 match ups and how it led to their equaliser on Saturday. Good glimpse of Gary’s coaching ability. Didn’t look tedious or boring.
I think any manager worth thir salt will know we have a giant hole in the central midfield defensive area.

He was well aware that Lerma has left, and that he hasn't been replaced.

With a bit of pace around him Lewis Cook can get turned inside out with ease, and he was.

If we still had Lerma available I dare say we may well be on about 9 points, not 3.

It was obviously well thought out planning and tactics based at beating us. His players learnt that in two weeks. Our gaffer has been in charge since the summer and still can't get the players to understand the high press.

He has contradicted himself tbh - once said it was his decision and then it was the view of the football people. Not sure what the real story is.
He said it was their decision but ultimately by sanctioning it it was on him. Taking responsibility Iike any good owner.

There's an irony there isn't there. You were banging on for all of last season about how incompetent the board were because they appointed the successful Gary O'Neil rather than appointing a decent coach from abroad. Not only did they do this they appointed the very one you had earmarked as the one for the job. It seems that them finally doing what you wanted them to do all along is what's going to finally get them sacked.

Mind you you wanted Howe to be strupped of power and when they did that he walked.

Not that good at this Neil are you?
Hilarious interpretation out of your own head.

I thought (and still do) that there are better coaches out there than GON. I didn’t think he could keep us up but got that wrong and admitted that on here. I also said if he kept us up he deserved the right to start this season.

I’d identified Iraola and De Zerbi and a couple of other coaches abroad as the type of people we should be looking at along with Russell Martin in this country if we wanted to replace Eddie Howe eventually with another coach that could perform miracles with limited resources. I hadn’t interviewed any of them though to see if their style would fit.

Anyone that was brought in needed a balanced squad, a replacement for Lerma and players that fitted their system. Anyone that didn’t didn’t stand a chance.

I wanted Howe to change some of his coaches and recruitment team off his own back to add more quality. Not have it foist on him in a public demotion.

You keep living in your own head though Del. A nice cosy place where you are always right.

Hilarious interpretation out of your own head.

I thought (and still do) that there are better coaches out there than GON. I didn’t think he could keep us up but got that wrong and admitted that on here. I also said if he kept us up he deserved the right to start this season.

I’d identified Iraola and De Zerbi and a couple of other coaches abroad as the type of people we should be looking at along with Russell Martin in this country if we wanted to replace Eddie Howe eventually with another coach that could perform miracles with limited resources. I hadn’t interviewed any of them though to see if their style would fit.

Anyone that was brought in needed a balanced squad, a replacement for Lerma and players that fitted their system. Anyone that didn’t didn’t stand a chance.

I wanted Howe to change some of his coaches and recruitment team off his own back to add more quality. Not have it foist on him in a public demotion.

You keep living in your own head though Del. A nice cosy place where you are always right.

It's not in my head Neil it's on here on every thread day after day. What you wanted is what happened and it has so far been a spectacular failure. If he can perform miracles with limited resources he shouldn't need your excuses about an unbalanced squad. He's got lots of attacking players and can't get any of them to perform. Most of them have proven they can make an impact here or elsewhere but not in his system. He's also got enough midfielders to put a competitive side out.

The board you have constantly slagged off identified De Zerbi and Iraola too. They've also had a new owner come in who has completely changed the focus of recruitment overnight.

Personally I couldn't care less if they all get sacked. I don't think they are the root cause of all our problems and I don't think it will magically sort everything out if they go.

Lol, you constantly banged on about change to Howes set up yet you didn't actually want change to Howe's set up? Sorry what?

Btw I'm not always right. I fully supported the decision to sack O'Neil for Iraola. I thought it made loads of sense and was the right thing to do. That seems very wrong, it won't cost me my job but if things don't improve it will cost Hughes his job - maybe harsh but that's football.

;