Gavin Kilkenny

I think Kilkenny will be too important to loan out in the first half of the season. Until Brooks and Cook are back he is going to be a very useful backup. If he stays we’ll see him in the Carabao too. Keep for now and re-assess in January

He's in the exact same situation Brooks was at this point last season. They say lightning doesn't strike twice and all that jazz, but why not

He's in the exact same situation Brooks was at this point last season. They say lightning doesn't strike twice and all that jazz, but why not

I get your sentiment and I would love Kilkenny to break through but Brooks had impressed in the championship. Kilkenny has come from no where.

From his preseason friendly displays, I can see two possible outcomes for him imminent. He's done enough to earn the Pugh '5th winger' role in the squad from last season. That could potentially mean a route to the first team opens up since Danjuma is an unknown quantity, Stanislas will miss large chunks of the season through injury and we don't know which Ibe will turn up this season.

Or he could be sent out on loan and told to make an impression like Surridge did last season.

I don't think he'll be kicking his heels with just the youth teams all season this time around. Personally I hope it's the first option but suspect it will be the second.

The biggest compliment you can give this lad is that the team has always looked better during pre season when he has been playing. He’s exactly the type of attacking player we lack, we have pace in abundance going forward but when teams sit back on us we struggle to break them down. His ability to manipulate the ball in tight areas seems to be on a different level, put him straight in the squad.

People are raving about Odofrhm or however you spell it but to me, despite some great bits, he looked like a player taking a step up in a friendly who might get caught out when it was deadly serious.

Kilkenny on the other hand looked born to it. Never got caught, never gave it away.
Everyone rightly pointed out that Ibe played well the night before but Kilkenny was better yesterday. It would be great to see him in and around the team. He offers something different than our other speedster wingers. Craft.

Agree with this. Of the new and u21s yesterday, Kilkenny and Billing looked the real deal.
Gavin was allways technically good since a early age.he now sees to be working hard to fullfill his potential.watching mark travers break through also must have inspired him.

is he a right winger?
Fletch on commentary said he’s a no. 10 but can play all across the midfield too.

Eddie on AFCBTV compared him more to Marc Pugh than Ryan Fraser, saying Kilkenny’s game is more about manipulating the ball in tight spaces and using his football brain rather than relying on pace and crossing ability.

People are raving about Odofrhm or however you spell it but to me, despite some great bits, he looked like a player taking a step up in a friendly who might get caught out when it was deadly serious.

Kilkenny on the other hand looked born to it. Never got caught, never gave it away.
Everyone rightly pointed out that Ibe played well the night before but Kilkenny was better yesterday. It would be great to see him in and around the team. He offers something different than our other speedster wingers. Craft.

Completely agree, however he definitely gave it away a few times vs Lyon; which isn't a problem at all. If he never gave the ball away he'd be Lionel Messi. Also think you're being a tad harsh on Ofoborh, thought he looked great in all his appearances.

What impressed me the most with Kilkenny was his willingness to not only track back, but to get stuck in with some tackles. This is actually what I think a lot of us were impressed with in Brooks last season, in a similar kind of pre-season fixture. Kilkenny also proved you don't need bags of pace to be deadly when counter attacking, he carried the ball forward quickly and used it intelligently.

Personally, I don't think we should loan him out at all. He'd do well to get used to our playing style, instead of sending him out to some football league team.

Completely agree, however he definitely gave it away a few times vs Lyon; which isn't a problem at all. If he never gave the ball away he'd be Lionel Messi. Also think you're being a tad harsh on Ofoborh, thought he looked great in all his appearances.

What impressed me the most with Kilkenny was his willingness to not only track back, but to get stuck in with some tackles. This is actually what I think a lot of us were impressed with in Brooks last season, in a similar kind of pre-season fixture. Kilkenny also proved you don't need bags of pace to be deadly when counter attacking, he carried the ball forward quickly and used it intelligently.

Personally, I don't think we should loan him out at all. He'd do well to get used to our playing style, instead of sending him out to some football league team.

Don’t get me wrong about Ofoborh. He did really well and has come on leaps and bounds. My point was more at times he looked like a guy not quite up to a champions league opponents (caught on speed of thought). Hardly a criticism, so does Gosling. Kilkenny on the other hand looked at home.

They are only friendlies though, which is the caveat.

The new Iniesta, that is his nickname amongst the players now.
If he only half as good, we have a great player on our hands.

I'd love to see him given 25 mins alongside Lerma against Sheff U.

;