Good news thread

A lot of 'bird' fans on this thread so its as good a place to ask as any.
Mrs B recently retired, and now enjoys doing some voluntary work in the New Forst. What is the best phone app for identifying bird songs/chirps?

A lot of 'bird' fans on this thread so its as good a place to ask as any.
Mrs B recently retired, and now enjoys doing some voluntary work in the New Forst. What is the best phone app for identifying bird songs/chirps?

don't use it myself, but I think 'merlin bird id' is a good 'un

edit - have used the merlin app now - its incredible!

Last edited:
Cardinals are out and about here in Pa and the males are a beautiful red. Reminds me to get my hummingbird feeder out
Yep. We have cardinals all winter, and they really look stunning against the snow backdrop.
Orioles, hummingbirds and grosbeaks are back, so all accounted for except the blue bunting, and that's fairly rare anyway. Have heard the Pileated woodpecker, big buggers at 18 inches tall, sound like a jackhammer ... but they are a rare sighting, once/twice a summer if you are lucky.

Triumph and tragedy in equal amounts. Five perfectly healthy chicks fled the nest today leaving behind one dead, one moribund and one tiny one still being fed but unlikely to make it. Nature can be cruel as well as joyous but it's worth noting that blue tits deliberately lay a large number of eggs in the knowledge that some of their offspring won't survive.

Not only have we got World Champion Chris Billam Smith, we have another Bournemouth born world champion. Mike Newby is Undisputed World Shin Kicking Champion. He won the title at the Cotswold Olympiks, there was a 3 minute section on Points West this evening. He did have a go at the cheese rolling earlier in the week but that went downhill very quickly : )

Last edited:
Triumph and tragedy in equal amounts. Five perfectly healthy chicks fled the nest today leaving behind one dead, one moribund and one tiny one still being fed but unlikely to make it. Nature can be cruel as well as joyous but it's worth noting that blue tits deliberately lay a large number of eggs in the knowledge that some of their offspring won't survive.
Seems like overall a good result Stan. Was delighted also to see this adult parenting on our garden fence this afternoon too.
546A2665.jpg

I’ve seen both sides today. Jackdaws feeding their young in the field outside our house and a carrion crow going into a collared dove’s nest and taking all five chicks.

A victory for the unspeakable who enjoy running down the inedible
Tally ho!
The SNP's Patricia Gibson described the government as a "weak, lily-livered husk" which "doesn't even have the confidence to deliver its own manifesto commitment". She added that Scotland was "shackled to a corpse that can not act".

And there was I, never thinking I'd ever agree with the SNP over anything. Willy-waving at its absolute worst.

Just checking out the Poole Harbour Osprey live webcam- three chicks seem to be thriving- absolutely stunning birds. Probably fledging towards the end of July???

;