Home matches / points

What has probably happened is that the club has significantly reduced the number of tickets available to points holders. That frees up the number available to sell to people with at least one home point on Cherry Tuesday.

I can see the point of that, they want to increase the pool of people who go to games. That has two benefits: newbies (for want of a better word) probably spend more per match in the shops and bars; and it acts as proof of concept for investment in a new, larger, stadium.

But it is a bit rough on people who go regularly but don’t have a season ticket.

So all games drop down to one point. That would include anyone who attends a more season game. Has the club said how many tickets will go on sale on a Tuesday?

Do ST Holders still get the home points if re- selling Sts on website?
Due to health problems I cant manage every match.

No, you only get the point if you attend. However, home points are only relevant if you’re thinking of not renewing the season ticket the following season.

Edit - So it was on sale to 16+ point holders then dropped down to 10+ points and it’s immediately sold out.

It’s great that they’re opening it up to more people, but it seems harsh that going to 15 of 19 games last season means little, anyone unable to get on the website during a 3 hour window during work hours will have missed out… which was the whole point of the points system.

Last edited:

Edit - So it was on sale to 16+ point holders then dropped down to 10+ points and it’s immediately sold out.

It’s great that they’re opening it up to more people, but it seems harsh that going to 15 of 19 games last season means little, anyone unable to get on the website during a 3 hour window during work hours will have missed out… which was the whole point of the points system.
Completely agree. This is ridiculous. There are no more spaces available (probably less given the expanded corporate section) so they clearly want more new fans.

There's nothing to say that these 'new' supporters won't be of the demographic that currently watch games.

Going to be interesting to see what they do for away games too.

I can never understand the stupidity of people saying that because a game hasn't sold out it shows there is no need for a bigger stadium.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the last time we sold out a friendly was for Real Madrid and that was ten years ago as we stepped up from the third tier.

Rather ironic with the timing of the above posts, listening to the Hibernian commentary and them reminding Hibs season ticket holders to claim their free tickets for one of their home Pre season games.

Also worth noting that attending these home friendlies does not guarantee you a ticket to a PL game. It simply means you can be part of the mad scrum of people fighting for tickets when they are released to 1 pointers.

Looking at seat sales in that first hour its blatantly obvious the club have held back a larger number of seats than they are stating for 'cherries tuesday' (when anyone with 1 point plus can get a ticket) They say its a limited number but its more than likely several hundred or more.

Few PL games have sold out this quickly.

So attend 9 games last season and you're potentially stiffed because 5000 newbies went to a friendly.

Every PL game has always sold out. The club are clearly trying to increase the database without increasing capacity.

With the points system people had the chance to work their way to the top, stay there by sheer loyalty, perhaps have the luxury of sitting near friends and family.

It's now a bear pit, a feeding frenzy and again another board fudge the pressing issue of increasing capacity.

Charging £18 because they know those without a point will attend to , well, earn a point. They've also added that attending 2 ladies matches and development team matches will also earn points meaning people can get to 7 points without having to attend a first team match, ever. Getting tickets is going to become much more competitive.

Jim has also mentioned a number of times that a supporter has the chance to secure 7 home points by attending all the home friendlies, woman matches and U23 games. It’s touted as this fantastic never seen before opportunity for zero pointers to get themselves up the points ladder.

However, as far as I can tell having 7 points is no better than having 1. Home games sell out before they reach 7 points, and any other tickets kept for later sale (E.G for Cherry Tuesdays) only require 1 point to qualify. So having 7 points or 1 point, it makes no difference, you’re still part of the mad scram.

Some may suggest it’s a sly strategy to increase income from unsuspecting customers, who by the time they realise their extra points are worthless have already spent the money securing them. My guess is that it’s actually just a poorly thought out approach that has not been thought through, and is ultimately trying to solve for something (lack of supply) that can only be solved for one way (increase supply).

I like Jim and I like a lot of what the new owners are doing, but there are some things that just don’t make sense.

Does this mean fans currently on maximum home points, have to purchase all friendly, women's and development tickets to keep the maximum points for next season.

Does this mean fans currently on maximum home points, have to purchase all friendly, women's and development tickets to keep the maximum points for next season.
That’s a good point.
No pun intended, I think you could be right.

Reactions: DJ
That's a good question! I'm on a maximum of 19 points and have no desire to go to any of the pre-season friendlies as I'm saving my cash for the League matches.

Yes, without those 7 points you will find yourself shunted way down the points total for future releases and face the real prospect of not getting a ticket.

Bloody outrageous.

;