How many languages does Fletch need to liaise in?

That geordie like Hartlepool accent can never be turned, 30 years in Bournemouth he hasn't moved an inch in accent.
You don't actually get your defined accent from parents like some believe you get it from peers peak age 7-11 which is normally at school. I've met parents with South African accent but the kids have English accent and Southerners with northern accent parents.
I think the you mimic your parents myth should be put to bed. It's the environment. Dialects are interesting subject though because this a small country and probably has more than any other.
For instance I think only other place with a clear southern accent to people from Bournemouth is Southampton and then when you get to Portsmouth it gets more London/eastern like, but if you go just west of Poole up to Dorch there's a strong west country twang.

That geordie like Hartlepool accent can never be turned, 30 years in Bournemouth he hasn't moved an inch in accent.
You don't actually get your defined accent from parents like some believe you get it from peers peak age 7-11 which is normally at school. I've met parents with South African accent but the kids have English accent and Southerners with northern accent parents.
I think the you mimic your parents myth should be put to bed. It's the environment. Dialects are interesting subject though because this a small country and probably has more than any other.
For instance I think only other place with a clear southern accent to people from Bournemouth is Southampton and then when you get to Portsmouth it gets more London/eastern like, but if you go just west of Poole up to Dorch there's a strong west country twang.
Dats y all da kidz b chattin lyk fkn melts cuz dey on tiktok all dae lisnin 2 roadmanz speekin in tungz fam u get me brap brap.

Agree with most of this , but you surely pick up a twang /sayings/dialect mannerisms from your family too ? I have a Sarrrf London hint to my accent - large part of my family lived there going back several generations but I never have …
Yet my younger brother doesn’t, he has the “ southern “ accent of Bournemouth.

A friend who is Irish has a Danish wife, she speaks English with an Irish twang, she even says "to be Jaysus" and "the little fecker" "scuttered" instead of drunk.

I dated a monkey hanger in the 90's. Although, she's lived down here for 30+ years, her accent also hasn't moved an inch.

Proper Dorset and rural Sussex have distinctly different intonations. Many people think I have a London accent, but I left London at the age of one, 67 years ago!

Certain other areas in Hants and Surrey seem to also have the 'pure' southern accent.

Interesting how Portsmouth seems to have that London twang, as you tend to also find throughout Kent (from people I've met anyway).

People from Poole seem to have that west country twang a fair bit, more so than Bournemouth, which is interesting given the towns are literally right next to each other.

I've always considered Bournemouth to have it's own 'culture' seperate from the rest of the county... country bumpkin, farm, countryside simpleton/yokel stereotypes.Perhaps no massive surprise as it was previously Hants... although that was before I was born.

Last edited:

;