Ian St John RIP

When Liverpool played at Watford in the Fa Cup , either 1967 or 1970 - there was a religious billboard in the town with “ What shall we do when the Lord cometh? “ written on it and some Scouse wag scribbled “ Move St John to inside right “ on it :grinning:

Last edited:
When Liverpool played at Watford in the Fa Cup , either 1967 or 1970 - there was a religious billboard in the town with “ What shall we do when the Lord cometh? “ written in it and some Scouse wag scribbled “ Move St John to inside right “ on it :grinning:
Yes remember a few like that.....especially on Merseyside....one come to mind
JESUS SAVES.......But Hatley puts in the rebound

Yes remember a few like that.....especially on Merseyside....one come to mind
JESUS SAVES.......But Hatley puts in the rebound

I thought the original was on a Jesus Saves poster on a Church noticeboard, to which had been added 'St John nets the rebound'

R.l.P Ian St John,I loved Saint and Greavsie late 80s,I'm not old enough to have seen either play so it was an eye opener for me to find out what great players they were.
I can always remember them taking the Mickey out of Scottish goalkeepers,very funny.
Such a shame about Jimmy Greaves health as well.

Years ago I went to watch Hibs play Motherwell in the League Cup.

Hibs were winning with a few minutes left.

Many Hibs supporters left thinking the game was won.

Ian St John then scored a hattrick in 2 minutes 30 seconds.

Hibs 1 Motherwell 3 final score.

Lesson - Never leave early !!!

Always enjoyed watching S & G on the telly.

Both had a bit of the devil about them.

RIP.

I'm almost sure the player buttoning his coat was Bobby Graham..one of the players who came into the side occasionaly before 68 and was tried out in the early 70s when Ian St John was fading out. He went to Coventry after .

Last edited:
R.l.P Ian St John,I loved Saint and Greavsie late 80s,I'm not old enough to have seen either play so it was an eye opener for me to find out what great players they were.
I can always remember them taking the Mickey out of Scottish goalkeepers,very funny.
Such a shame about Jimmy Greaves health as well.

What's the time? Nine past Haffey - was the best Scottish goalie joke.

I was at Wembley for the 9-3 match, Haffey was the Scotland third choice goalie.
St John played two weeks before signing for Liverpool. One of my first Christmas football annuals had a great action picture of him playing for Motherwell. His haircut was pretty cool for 1960 as well. RIP

Ian St John used to support the Alliss Merlo celebrity golf day at Ferndown GC. I chatted to him a few times. He was a lovely guy and happily signed a few bits for my collection. RIP Ian.

That game against Liverpool brings back memories. I was at the game and Keith East was unlucky not to score.

Of our team that day Terry Gulliver, David Stocks, Ronnie Bolton and Kevin White still live locally. Prior to lockdown I used to see Terry before every home game.
Eddie Rowles lives in Colchester, Keith East in Epsom and Ken Pound near Romsey.

Last edited:

;