Is it our fault?

Topfarrier

UTC Legend
I think as a fanbase we have to accept some of the responsibility for this mess....

Parkers safety first approach was accepted last season because we were winning games and we're paying the price for it now.....Gon has adopted the same approach and its failing miserably although it seems almost like the players are now programed to drop deep to defend what we have so it might not be entirely Gon's fault.

We bizarrely accepted and supported someone with no managerial experience replacing Parker....in fact we welcomed him with open arms...what was it... 80 odd per cent wanted him on a poll on here?.......maybe we deserve this season.

We don't really have a game plan at all, other than the obvious.

We need to have the mentality to score first, and then add another, or at least approach games with that mindset.

At the moment it appears to be, hope we don't concede and if we still haven't conceded after 70 mins, go for the draw.

It's the entirely wrong way to approach games.

I remember back to the HT talks from Howe, where he would generally address any first half issues and the team often came out after the break looking an entirely different animal.

Haven't seen anythig from O'Neil to suggest he has that type of philosophy or ability to change things.

We don't really have a game plan at all, other than the obvious.

We need to have the mentality to score first, and then add another, or at least approach games with that mindset.

At the moment it appears to be, hope we don't concede and if we still haven't conceded after 70 mins, go for the draw.

It's the entirely wrong way to approach games.

I remember back to the HT talks from Howe, where he would generally address any first half issues and the team often came out after the break looking an entirely different animal.

Haven't seen anythig from O'Neil to suggest he has that type of philosophy or ability to change things.
What did we expect from O'Neil?.....we accepted Parkers dull safety first garbage last season.

There doesnt seem to any tactics. One week at Everton and Dyche has got his style across to his players. Hit the box , hit the back post and have someone brave enough to attack the ball and eventually one will go your way. I hate it but it works. I have absolutely no idea what our game plan , what our tactics are and what the players objectives in the game sre. The new signings look decent but we'll lose their skill , drive and ambition if we continue to play whatever it is we're trying to play.

After the first few games we expected a turnaround, and we seemed to have got it.

Been downhill ever since.

I think we expected him to steady the ship, which he did.

We then expected him to stamp some sort of authority, or ethos into the team and the performances.

He was hamstrung by what was quite an ordinary squad 3 weeks ago.

Bit soon to judge after all the signings, but he needs to get our players to put the bloody white thing in the back of the net.

We have scored 1 goal since Novemeber.

Ultimately we were left a squad in the first season of the championship that was superb. Most of them still playing now.

Had we decided on a strategy, a style of football that was attacking and found a coach in Europe or the Uk to build this around adding the correct players for the gaps we would have been fine.

My huge frustration is that this was all in our gift, and it was a gift that Eddie left. We are still making the same mistakes though of adding random expensive players without a style or a coach that’s proven. Madness to do it once but we are on our fourth go!

I do blame the fans to a degree as we have such low expectations and rarely let our feelings be known. Simply content we are not in the bottom division despite the huge wealth we deploy. A fan base that hasn’t grown because we didn’t build a stadium so still a lot of older people judging us in the context of history rather than the reality which gives our decision makers and coaches a very soft ride.

TBH. GO took advantage of the offer made to him and who could blame him at the time?

Surely the blame for the current situation and league position lies firmly at the feet of the board and the new owners who allegedly installed a person with no managerial experience? Unfortunately, it now looks a rather surreal and embarrassing appointment with the run of results we have seen since last year?

The bigger question is how much longer are they going to allow this all to continue?

It’s the fault of that fan in the leather jacket with eyes bulging out of his head, or whatever it was Eddie Mitchell said, for not turning up and getting similarly irate with GON the last 6 weeks and calling him out on the pitch. That’s how we get change around here.

Signing players wily nily for Millions without enough research and in many cases injured or unfit is a bloody sin as I see it...and if it's done (and I don't know for sure, tbf) on the whims of, or championed by, a few self-appointed experts from this Forum....it's even more a sin.

We don't have any say in who the club signs. We cannot decide who the manager picks. We have no chance to apply tactics.

We turn up, week after week, mostly selling out home and away and, by our support, influence the team in the only way possible.

Is it our fault? No way.

It might be my fault.
This season, for the first time I’ve not gone through my usual pre match debauchery routine.
This involved me flagellating myself with a whip made from the hair of Phil Boyer.
I mislaid the whip last Summer & have failed to relocate it.
I’m sorry.
Desperately sorry….:cry:

Signing players wily nily for Millions without enough research and in many cases injured or unfit is a bloody sin as I see it...and if it's done (and I don't know for sure, tbf) on the whims of, or championed by, a few self-appointed experts from this Forum....it's even more a sin.
How on earth do the experts on here influence what players the club sign?

How on earth do the experts on here influence what players the club sign?

I don't know exactly...but they try to knowing someone at the club surely reads the threads....
...and it's maybe more than a coincidence that some of those suggested over the years have materialised..!
I did say in my post that ( "i dont know for sure" ) !

I very much doubt anyone at the club reads this forum. They might check social media (in fact they will, not might) but this gnarly corner of the internet for is too stuffed full of Old Cherries to be of interest to them.

I hear all the angst in this forum.
Yes, I am one of the "other 100" which doesn't post regularly. There are several reasons for that, none of which I need to share here though.
Supporting a football team is a deeply emotional commitment for a true fan, we rise and fall on the success or otherwise of the team. It is a relationship - just like having a wife, husband or lover, there are great days when everything is sunny, and days we wonder what we said or did wrong because everything is so dismal.

ErikthViking - you are right of course and we all know that we do not influence anything at this club unless we withhold our ticket cost - and we won't do that because we are afterall, true fans.

We anguish on here because we are disappointed - our relationship with the team is in one of the dismal periods I referred to, and we don't have any control over how to change it so that we all feel good again.

I suggest that we perhaps just lower our expectations a little - it removes some of the pressure. No, I don't mean that we give up, we just expect a little less of the team each time they play an opponent who on paper is better than we are - currently that is 18 other teams!

The manager, the coaches and the players don't go out there to play poorly - and the owner certainly isn't here to lose his money, I have supported this team since early 1961 and have been part of more dismal days that I can recall; it doesn't mean that I don't hurt when we lose games we should win, but I accept that mistakes cost us goals, and goals cost us points.

I can't talk about Mr. O'Neil I have never met him, or even seen him live - I don't get to games because I live 4,000 miles away and only sometimes do I see the televised game. I do know game tactics however and this manager seems to have a plan different from what I would play, but there again he is the manager and I am not. It is up to him and the players to instill that plan and execute it. I see some progress but not enough consistently, and yes I am disappointed.

Contrary to some posters, I do not look forward to next year's Championship - I want us all to fight like hell for every point and stay up even if it is 17th place this season.

We have recently increased the quality in the squad and I just hope that we now have enough time this season to make it count.

I am in all the way on Mr. Foley's business plan and have faith that he knows what he is doing and has the acumen to make the right decisions when he feels he has to.

Thanks for reading this.

I very much doubt anyone at the club reads this forum. They might check social media (in fact they will, not might) but this gnarly corner of the internet for is too stuffed full of Old Cherries to be of interest to them.

That maybe so....but perhaps, instead then, they could study Brighton's recruitment policy by analysing their comings and goings of recent seasons and compare.

;