It's snowing

I'm in Canada and and there is no snow here on the Sunshine Coast. Temperature is 5.4 degrees C and rain is forecast for later, i.e. no sunshine :(

All you get on the news today.
Brexit not important anymore it seems.
Transport nearly at a stand still. Haulage firms unable to deliver. People stockpiling food and water. It's a useful exercise to have before Brexit.

Anybody else driving up today , I have rung our hotel and the snow is melting in Cardiff. Not totally sure which route to take, there is supposed to be more snow in the Reading/Oxford area, but don't really fancy the B roads across Dorset and Wiltshire.

Safe travels all.

The Purbeck Hills look delightful with about 2".

My plants don't look quite so delightful though.

Right now half of me loves snow, the other half hates it.

Good old British spirit again, people helping each other out.

One driver walked eight miles to get to the safe haven of the pub on the A30

Just eight members of staff stayed awake all night to look after up to 150 stranded drivers who found shelter from the snow and ice at the famous Jamaica Inn on the A30.

The historic pub and hotel had only 10 of its 36 rooms booked for Thurday night (January 31) before the snow fell but by the early hours of Friday there were between 120 and 150 people crammed in every available space.

Charlotte Barron, assistant manager, told Cornwall Live: “All 36 rooms were full, we set up 15 makeshift beds in the restaurant, five in the lounge as well as blankets and duvets on the floor.

“It was actually a lovely atmosphere – we brought out all our board games and complete strangers were playing against each other. A lot of people made friends – probably for life – with one room being occupied by five people who didn’t know each other.”

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/jamaica-inns-eight-heroes-look-2495032

Good old British spirit again, people helping each other out.

One driver walked eight miles to get to the safe haven of the pub on the A30

Just eight members of staff stayed awake all night to look after up to 150 stranded drivers who found shelter from the snow and ice at the famous Jamaica Inn on the A30.

The historic pub and hotel had only 10 of its 36 rooms booked for Thurday night (January 31) before the snow fell but by the early hours of Friday there were between 120 and 150 people crammed in every available space.

Charlotte Barron, assistant manager, told Cornwall Live: “All 36 rooms were full, we set up 15 makeshift beds in the restaurant, five in the lounge as well as blankets and duvets on the floor.

“It was actually a lovely atmosphere – we brought out all our board games and complete strangers were playing against each other. A lot of people made friends – probably for life – with one room being occupied by five people who didn’t know each other.”

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/jamaica-inns-eight-heroes-look-2495032
Was a baby born in the stable out back?

Something else of the British culture you would struggle to understand. The country grinds to a halt, loving every minute of feeling how hard done by we are, yet the rest of the world carries on. 2 inches of snow or less in Upper Parkstone is really important.

You call what you get snow? Lol

We don't have the infrastructure to deal with even the smallest scattering of snow over here. Our roads are not very straight or level unlike the other side of the pond. Nobody learns to drive on snow because it's infrequent. People use zero common sense when it happens. The public transport, rail etc is unable to cope. And our media talk about a small snow flurry like it's the harbinger of the apocalypse. The weather is all we talk about at the best of times, but when it's snow the entire population is whipped into this frenzy. I can definitely see why it seems so odd to anyone else.

;