Jaidon Anthony

I also like the look of him in the more central positions. He’s a very intelligent footballer with good vision and a very good weight of pass. He carries the ball well too but sometime I feel like he lacks that explosive pace to be an out and out wide man. Most of his good work for us in the wide areas has come from his ability to interlink with an overlapping full back, rather than raw ability to beat a man. He always looks more comfortable coming infield.

I also like the look of him in the more central positions. He’s a very intelligent footballer with good vision and a very good weight of pass. He carries the ball well too but sometime I feel like he lacks that explosive pace to be an out and out wide man. Most of his good work for us in the wide areas has come from his ability to interlink with an overlapping full back, rather than raw ability to beat a man. He always looks more comfortable coming infield.

Agree. He's also quite clever positionally in a defensive sense. Cutting passing lines off etc. I think his skill set makes him very versatile, which should always be a good thing but can sometimes lead to becoming a jack of all trades and master of none.

The fact we've managed to extend his contract is great.

Probably an underutilised player for us this season. Need to find a way to get him more involved because he is capable of the sublime. You can see why he was linked with Arsenal.

he always looked better playing in front of JZ so he'll have remodel his game somewhat, playing more centrally may be the answer
at 23 he has a bright future

He always seems to be able to score goals too - I think if we can strengthen defensively (full backs) it strengthens the case for him getting more minutes.

He’s been struggling for game time because of the forms of Christie, Tav (before his injury) and Dango. Christie has the experience and more recently the fitness to play consistently in a relegation fight whereas Anthony would have been more of a risk to play especially after the Zemura exile. I don’t think GON is doubting his ability but he has relied on experience since January really.
Would be interesting to see that now Tav is injured and Vina seemingly isn’t 90mins fit yet to see him start at wingback now we seem to be playing a back 3 as standard. Might be the only way he starts because Christie has been so good

If you go through to the original article, it's just a journalist listing eight different wingers he thinks could be good for Rangers. Nothing in it. Doubt they could afford him anyway.

I worried when I saw this thread jump to the top of the forum.

Had a decent first PL season but is going to have to take a Daniels-esque step up to be a consistent part of the team next season with all the incoming competition. I hope he can do it, would be a shame to see one of the first graduates from the improved youth setup (even if he joined late) end up sidelined.

He had a few glimpses last season but in the main he rarely looked good enough to be a starter at this level imo. Really seems to struggle without JZ behind him. Not sure he’s good enough for us at this moment tbh.

He had a few glimpses last season but in the main he rarely looked good enough to be a starter at this level imo. Really seems to struggle without JZ behind him. Not sure he’s good enough for us at this moment tbh.
I'm going to politely disagree with this... I thought he had some great performances, scoring some valuable and great goals for us. Towards the back end of the season he was utilised as a fullback and 'did a job', but hardly where his strengths lie... and never really going to showcase himself there...

In the last home game he was pushed more central and attacking and I felt he did really well, setting up Semenyo for his first PL goal...

Of course not the finished article but given he only really stepped up to first team action in the Championship 2 season's ago, I still think he has a lot to offer, with the right coaching...

Let's not be too quick to write him off... He's a great player IMO...

Last edited:
I'm going to politely disagree with this... I thought he had some great performances, scoring some valuable and great goals for us. Towards the back end of the season he was utilised as a fullback and 'did a job', but hardly where his strengths lie... and never really going to showcase himself there...

In the last home game he was pushed more central and attacking and I felt he did really well, setting up Semenyo for his first PL goal...

Of course not the finished article but given he only really stepped up to first team action in the Championship 2 season's ago, I still think he has a lot to offer, with the right coaching...

Ket's not be too quick to write him off... He's a great player IMO...
And in Iraola he probably now has the kind of manager who will be able to help him to improve. Apparently, much like EH, Iraola enjoys individually coaching the players and getting the very most out of what he's got. I could definitely see Anthony improving in the areas where he might currently be lacking, if the new head coach decides to give him that opportunity.

I wouldn't write him off just yet either.

And in Iraola he probably now has the kind of manager who will be able to help him to improve. Apparently, much like EH, Iraola enjoys individually coaching the players and getting the very most out of what he's got. I could definitely see Anthony improving in the areas where he might currently be lacking, if the new head coach decides to give him that opportunity.

I wouldn't write him off just yet either.

I think JA is a clever player who could be a real asset for a manager like Iraola. Possibly even in a different position.

I reckon a top coach could get more mileage out of Jaidon yet. He has quite a well rounded profile: decent enough technical ability, covers various positions, good work rate in and out of possession, and positional / tactical awareness of when team mates are making a run.

Sure he's not going to have Pep Guardiola beating his door down for a transfer any time soon, but as a utility player here I think there's a place for him.

Edit, as others have said really.

Without preempting what might happen when we’ve finished recruiting I wonder if JA might be a prime inter club loanee to L’Orient ? I wouldn’t want to lose him but some week in week out games in France could really develop his game. I wonder if in fact that is one of the reasons for our friendly against them - we see their best players and they see who they might like to take on loan ? I guess it depends on the size of our squad and the competition for Jaidons position but I really rate him and feel he is the better prospect than JZ.

Not writing him off at all, said that I don’t feel that he’s good enough yet. Think he very well could be but probably only if he develops by playing regular football at a decent level, just don’t see him getting that this coming season with us. Would also be interested to see him utilised in a more central position though, feel doesn’t really have the dribbling ability or raw pace in wide areas to trouble his full back at this level but he’s a clever player, good at picking up pockets of space, got a good creative pass in him and a decent finisher too.

;