Jaidon Anthony

He had a few glimpses last season but in the main he rarely looked good enough to be a starter at this level imo. Really seems to struggle without JZ behind him. Not sure he’s good enough for us at this moment tbh.

Still has room to grow imo. Whether he'll be good enough to be a regular, rather than a squad option... only time will tell.

Hr does seem to posses excellent technical ability and intelligence. Probably from his Arsenal pedigree. 2 things which are hard to learn, at least as far as being effective at this level, so has s solid base to build on.

The players were put through a series of assessments, including an intense 1600 metre run, as staff analysed the fitness of the squad, with Anthony benefitting from the work he’s done over the summer period.

Speaking to afcb.co.uk, Anthony revealed more about his break: “We had a few weeks off and I had a little programme, trying to stick to it as much as I could.

“The sports science and medical team set a programme for every player of things we can do to try and keep fit, little drills and it is down to you to do them and keep in shape, ready to come back and impress.

“I also hired a couple of coaches to train me as well over the break so I could keep sharp and come back in a good place, so hopefully I’ve done that.

The players were put through a series of assessments, including an intense 1600 metre run, as staff analysed the fitness of the squad, with Anthony benefitting from the work he’s done over the summer period.

Speaking to afcb.co.uk, Anthony revealed more about his break: “We had a few weeks off and I had a little programme, trying to stick to it as much as I could.

“The sports science and medical team set a programme for every player of things we can do to try and keep fit, little drills and it is down to you to do them and keep in shape, ready to come back and impress.

“I also hired a couple of coaches to train me as well over the break so I could keep sharp and come back in a good place, so hopefully I’ve done that.

Just think he lacks that dynamism and pace to be a top winger

Well at least he has tried to keep on top of his fitness during the break and hopefully will be sharp and ready when the season starts.

Sometimes after the Summer break some players can be a little ‘rusty’ on return before opening games.

Last edited:
So JA trains on ownsome,and I've also seen that other players use commercial gyms.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the players are given training programmes to do on their own, why not use the facilities at the stadium under the watchful eyes of the staff?

So JA trains on ownsome,and I've also seen that other players use commercial gyms.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the players are given training programmes to do on their own, why not use the facilities at the stadium under the watchful eyes of the staff?
Presumably they can do their individual training whilst on holiday

Would you want to have to drive through Bournemouth every day if you could afford not to?

So you're saying that pretty much the only few weeks they have off in the year as a holiday/break they should come into work?

Hiring his own coaches?? That's dedication. Hoping he has a good season. His first wasn't bad given his lack of starts.

Hiring his own coaches?? That's dedication. Hoping he has a good season. His first wasn't bad given his lack of starts.

Shows a great attitude for sure.

I expect the reason you'd hear of pro's from 30 years ago throwing up or near to in pre season was due to basically getting pissed, eating crap and doing no exercise every day for a month or two in the close season.

Some form of rest/periodisation of intensity is most definitely needed, but doing nothing for more than a week or two as a pro athlete is pretty lazy/unprofessional imo.

Think going back a few years they got other jobs during the Summer break.

Now with the pay they are on they don’t need to and can go away have a break and come back to go abroad to a training camp before the season starts.

How football has changed over the years and in some ways not for the better.

I'm sure that you know this already, but referees face the same challenges.
We run as far and often farther than most players, we engage in short and long distance sprints, and have to be calm, collected and objective at the end of that when making decisions[ this requires match fitness.
Speaking from experience if I took the winter off (we play football in the summer here in Canada), I wouldn't pass my fitness tests come the pre-season... this is a mandatory requirement of course.
It is essential that some form of structured training continues every week of the off-season in order to perform during the season.
I applaud those players who don't use pre-season to get fit, I sure know a lot of amateur referees who use their first few games to get fit... and everyone then suffers from their poor performance.
I found that I lost my "edge" after about three weeks of not training. At the elite level of officiating that is totally unacceptable.
Good on you Jaidon... keep up the dedication to your job.

Good they have kept in shape but only 4 weeks between Everton and return to pre season for non international. Crazy schedule and even worse for internationals

I'm sure that you know this already, but referees face the same challenges.
We run as far and often farther than most players, we engage in short and long distance sprints, and have to be calm, collected and objective at the end of that when making decisions[ this requires match fitness.
Speaking from experience if I took the winter off (we play football in the summer here in Canada), I wouldn't pass my fitness tests come the pre-season... this is a mandatory requirement of course.
It is essential that some form of structured training continues every week of the off-season in order to perform during the season.
I applaud those players who don't use pre-season to get fit, I sure know a lot of amateur referees who use their first few games to get fit... and everyone then suffers from their poor performance.
I found that I lost my "edge" after about three weeks of not training. At the elite level of officiating that is totally unacceptable.
Good on you Jaidon... keep up the dedication to your job.

Yeah, I guess it takes all sorts. But you'd imagine those that are involved in high level sports would have a decent attitude towards physical exercise, rather than seeing it as some kind of punishment, too hard work. I guess the difference with football compared to say swimming or athletics, is that many are drawn to it for the football/game side. When at school most have plenty of energy even if diet not great, but once you become professional you're expected to focus on diet, fitness more to reach peak performance, which some may find a pain in the ****************.

Whereas athletics, swimming has no game side and has always been about peak performance... or rather who is the quickest, most stamina .although I guess when at school not many are hyper focused on diet :D

I recall reading Andrea Pirlo' book and he detested the physical training part of the game, and some coaches gave him dispensation to do hardly anything compared to the other players. Guess he's a bit of a special case and iirc barely covered much ground - obviously he had elite tier intelligence, plus Italian follow generally slower tempo than PL.

As you say, after a couple of weeks performance drops off, and training becomes tougher initially. Even a week can feel harder depending on person, lifestyle etc.

Doesn't have to be anything crazy either.20 mins to an hour several times a week, depending on what it involves. Not a big sacrifice if you're involved with professional sports.

Last edited:
Absolutely devastated to wake up this morning and find he has gone out on a season loan. Always want our players to de well but not the team he has gone to.

Hope to have Jaidon back next season and automatic place in the the team

Would like to know the reasoning behind it being Jaidon

He lost his best mate to Italy!

Really sorry to see he has gone to Leeds albeit on loan. This other chap had better be good.

Absolutely devastated to wake up this morning and find he has gone out on a season loan. Always want our players to de well but not the team he has gone to.

Anthony has progressed well. However, in all fairness, his current ceiling is the Championship where he will perform admirably I'm sure. His loan to Leeds will improve him. We are in the PL where the pace of the game is unrelenting. One has to be on top of your game for 90 minutes. Jaidon was not doing this. He was drifting in and out of the game. He will return a better player. We need players who can compete with the best. Hopefully we have brought in players that can do this to avoid us being in a continuous fight (as we are at the moment) to stay in the division. We should use Brentford and Brighton as bench marks as they seem to have bedded themselves in very well in the PL and scoring goals. We, at the moment, don't seem to be able to do this.

The reasoning behind it is simple.....Leeds insisted that we couldn't sign their player without Anthony being part of the deal.......we had to persuade Jaidon to go.

;