Jarred Gillett

Obviously it’s Brighton so it’s funny, but City have got away with numerous pen shouts the last few times I’ve seen them. How is that 2nd one not a pen?! Seems the powers that be have decided they will win it this season.

It seems so cavalier ......... looks like a clear foul, play goes on, VAR confirms no foul, ref casually waves arms in the traditional "safe" sign.

Watching City dismantling Brighton….but never a free kick for Foden’s first goal and two legitimate penalty appeals blindly turned down!
Corruption killing the game
Made me laugh wolves fans saying the same after yesterday. Hell of a thing when the The Premier League feel it necessary to get refs to make sure we win. lol.

Watching City dismantling Brighton….but never a free kick for Foden’s first goal and two legitimate penalty appeals blindly turned down!
Corruption killing the game

Said the same on another thread. I didn't think the Ake handball was a handball but it was more of one then any given against us I can remember. I wanted Brighton to lose as well.

Obviously it’s Brighton so it’s funny, but City have got away with numerous pen shouts the last few times I’ve seen them. How is that 2nd one not a pen?! Seems the powers that be have decided they will win it this season
Definitely agree that it's all a farce. I wonder if it comes down City winning or Man United qualifying for Europe, I wonder which they would prefer.

Personally I think all this talk of corruption and big club bias gives the referees and officials far too much credit.

You all really think that they are so good in their roles that they can manipulate everything the way they are?

You sure it’s not a bit of general incompetence?

How can any of them be amazing at their jobs when the laws keep swapping and changing so much that no one really knows the laws anymore. How can they be amazing at their jobs when they are told to lean on the technology so much, but those running the technology are often those even less qualified than the one on the pitch.

Personally I think all this talk of corruption and big club bias gives the referees and officials far too much credit.

You all really think that they are so good in their roles that they can manipulate everything the way they are?

How can any of them be amazing at their jobs when the laws keep swapping and changing so much that no one really knows the laws anymore. How can they be amazing at their jobs when they are told to lean on the technology so much, but those running the technology are often those even less qualified than the one on the pitch.

I don't think it's this masterful manipulation of the outcome of games but I do think it's a conscious possibly purposeful bias towards certain sides.

Don't blow if you see something easy to ignore for one side and blow if you see a hint of it at the other, e.g. a Man City player slips in a good position outside the box, the referee gives a free kick and there's no VAR review to overrule. Brighton player goes down in the box, the ref ignores it and VAR decides it not's "clear and obvious" and the decision stands. At the other end, you have VAR pulling all sorts of bizarre interpretations of rules to create the desired result.

It doesn't require a great deal of talent to just adjust your thresholds for fouls and cards based on the sides and the likes of decisions resulting in penalties or red cards can result in wildly different outcomes.

Foden does seem to win a lot of cheap free kicks - maybe it's because he keeps screaming in the refs faces.

TBF Pedro did used to go down easily for us but that was a penalty yesterday.

Maybe they think it's easier just to not give one when the game is over but just creates so many problems for themselves by being so inconsistent.

There's a good article here about what went on during the PL match fixing in the late 90's when a few dodgy folks fixed it for the floodlights to fail straight after a team scored - https://www.givemesport.com/8809758...light-drama-impacted-arsenal-liverpool-games/

While I do think VAR mistakes generally come from human error or unconscious bias, if anyone (such as billionaire owners from corrupt regimes) wanted to fix games in this day and age, VAR would be the way to do it. And earlier this season we had the huge coincidence of Darren England officiating in the UAE 48 hours before he made his horrific VAR error in the Spurs v Liverpool game.

There were a number of instances last night where Gillett’s decision making and body language showed he was, at least to some extent, predisposed towards the “better team” and “better players”. He appears to be almost in awe, almost imposter syndrome.

So no corruption for me, just pure subconscious bias.

They don’t help themselves by admitting in newspaper articles that they are all vying to referee the so-called “ golden games “ featuring the big clubs and therefore tend to give them the 50/50 or soft decisions in games v the great unwashed lower down the league .
But refs have always favoured the bigger sides for as long as I remember….
Ian Rush only had to fall over in the box for Liverpool to get a penalty every time and Fergie would be sending and receiving text messages from the ref in the week before a big game which naturally put the pressure on them ….

Absolutely insane level of officiating today. The contact on Christie finished inside the box, and started on the line. Just like the Newcastle penalty against us.

With current handball laws, it’s never a penalty for them in a billion years. Horrendous call. To not step in and check the referees decision is a disgrace.

Even the dive given against Christie, maybe it wasn’t a foul, but I thought there was contact. To give a dive for that is very strange to me.

Barely gave them a booking all game either.
It's the best a man can get.

I think that there is a ‘human’ side to decision making and Referees are anxious not to stir the wrath of the big clubs for fear of reprisals and bad publicity…Mourinho and Ferguson were masters of mind games and sarcastic remarks about officials…it must be on the minds of referees that Pep…Jurgen or Mikael will rubbish them publically?

The PGMOL are funded to provide officials who have a consistent understanding of the laws of the game and how to apply them fairly and consistently.
The less qualified should not be re refereeing the game their job is to assist the on field officials by providing information.

#showpgmoltheredcard

I think that there is a ‘human’ side to decision making and Referees are anxious not to stir the wrath of the big clubs for fear of reprisals and bad publicity…Mourinho and Ferguson were masters of mind games and sarcastic remarks about officials…it must be on the minds of referees that Pep…Jurgen or Mikael will rubbish them publically?
Or on the touchline.

Where else would you get away with leaping and yelling in someone's ear who has no control over a decision?

;