Jefferson Lerma

Was Lerma involved in a headbutt incident at the WC...? Interesting comments from D.Murphy just on TalkSport... Forgetting that it's TS, Murphy didn't seem to think it was a good buy 'at all'... ill disciplined, bad attitude, and nowhere near as good as what we currently have in our midfield... A lot of money (too much money) for someone who will spend as much time being banned, as on the pitch (effectively)...

I have to admit, I am concerned about his discipline record and hope Eddie is able to work his magic and prove folk wrong... It is a lot of money tho...!!!

Lerma will hopefully find the PL ever so slightly less strict on tackling and physicality than La Liga, although we're quickly heading in their direction with the lack of contact being allowed by some English officials. Something we'll have to work through with him, expect some yellows along the way.
And probably some reds

Was Lerma involved in a headbutt incident at the WC...? Interesting comments from D.Murphy just on TalkSport... Forgetting that it's TS, Murphy didn't seem to think it was a good buy 'at all'... ill disciplined, bad attitude, and nowhere near as good as what we currently have in our midfield... A lot of money (too much money) for someone who will spend as much time being banned, as on the pitch (effectively)...

I have to admit, I am concerned about his discipline record and hope Eddie is able to work his magic and prove folk wrong... It is a lot of money tho...!!!
To be honest I'd rather trust Eddie's judgement over Murphy's

Damn, damn, thrice damn !!!

I wish someone had advised Eddie that Lerma is a hard man.
How Eddie doesn’t already know, and still wants him beats me !

To be honest I'd rather trust Eddie's judgement over Murphy's

Agreed, but I actually think Murphy is one of few pundits that talks sense and tells things (more often than not) how it is...

If I've read his record correctly, 17 yellows in 34 games, doesn't do much to dispel his discipline record. Having said that, Im looking forward to seeing him line up for us...

The key to getting the best out of Cook is having the right partner for him in midfield.

Gosling was given that job for the second half of last season because he’s a willing runner and positionally disciplined, but he’s not a great tackler and at times has looked scared of taking possession in deep midfield positions

Lerma sounds like the man for the job which should mean we get better at winning the ball back and give Cook more licence to play further forward.

I doubt Murphy had ever even heard of Lerma until news of our bid was announced. I'd rather trust the opinions of the Spanish journalists who've actually seen him play!

TS talking more nonsense. It was Wilmar Barrios with the headbutt on Jordan Henderson. Lerma had a fairly quiet game against England

TS talking more nonsense. It was Wilmar Barrios with the headbutt on Jordan Henderson. Lerma had a fairly quiet game against England

just to be clear, its not TS talking "nonsense". Its an individual on TS.

I'm delighted with this signing - have bored myself on this site chattering about the need for a DM for at least two seasons.

Now here he is - and assuming Eddie has scouted him carefully and he's actually the biz, he could make a big difference to our results. Our biggest problem has been the tendency in midfield to surrender the ball, putting the back three/four under pressure. Lerma's job, I hope, will be to intercept, hold the ball for crucial seconds and recycle to Lewis Cook, Brooks and Co. Dare I mention Kante? ... he's the model.

Looking forward to seeing Lerma asap. Well done Eddie and the club for staying the course with Levante.

Note: Dan Gosling had a fine game against Marseille and was one of the few who performed at Forest. Has the pressure of incomings had its effect on him??

Think dan continued his form last season. Well off the pace this time last year but excellent from ecenber
The difference with Lerma to typical defensive midfielder (I would hope) is that he already has the technical attributes to play at this level too.

The example above of Keane, Vieira, Kante etc is a good one, but these were / are all good technical players way above the traditional British enforcer. I'm expecting Lerma to at least be at the same level on the ball as Surman, then having the superior defensive game too.

Surman is excellent on the ball in many respects and is a superb outlet ball for our defenders. He’s a good passer too. Hope Lerma adds physicality to these qualities. Mind you, Lerma will be passing square too if there is no movement upfront!

must admit I am excited by his signing, should add another dimension to our play. His disciplinary record needs a bit of work. I can take players getting booked for fouls as long as he doesn't gob off like Harry used to do and pick up unnecessary cards.

The disciplinary record is in Spain. Does anyone have a comparison in the officiating in Spain vs England? I am guessing (just guessing) that the PL is a much more physical league than La Liga but could be wrong. He might just fit in fine.

Despite the price tag he’s still only 23. I think Eddie will be on his case about his prior discipline from the outset. We can play tough AND smart, I’m sure of it.

The one thing I would hope is he can move the ball a bit quicker than our current midfielders. Gosling and Arter especially take too much time on the ball and this allows the opposition to regroup.

With Lerma and Rico coming from Spain, a league where the majority of teams play like Betis did and press much higher compared to English sides, I'm hoping they'll be used to distributing it quickly. Even if that quick distribution is still a sideways pass!

Good thread this.

I'm in the excited camp - I reckon this could be a great signing. Our championship side were great at attacking in waves in a real swashbuckling style. We continued this to an extent when we got promoted but learnt the hard way that you can't just try to outscore the opposition in this league when they have that extra quality that can really hurt you if you give too many chances away.

I think we've tended to be slow in our build-up play partly because we have had to become more risk averse and play safe. If we set up properly with a decent defensive midfielder covering the back three or four then we can use our devastating pace and/or more creative midfielders to attack without worrying as much about the safety first option.

What I'm saying is that we are definitely going to win the league.

Exactly, which one is a successful manager and which one sits on a sofa.

Except when he was criticising Kane taking corners for England under Hodgson. Did anyone say then that he was sat on a sofa and Hodgson had managed many prestigious teams?

As ever. Pundits are geniuses when they agree with us and sofa merchants too scared to manage a team when they don’t agree with us. :)

I think it signals a long term formation change...that’s the shift from Eddie. 4-4-2 is his safety blanket but the fact he keeps trying to get away from it also signals he knows it has little place in the modern game. A proper holding midfielder ...or two if Cook sits...opens up full backs being able to stay forward or four forward players having little defensive responsibilities. He didn’t have that player that could drop into the back when team is short and head and defend like a centre half . He arguably does now...but let’s see the lad first before we get carried away!

;