Jefferson Lerma

It appears that I am not permitted to make other comments on this site without being pestered about my previous comments on Jefferson.

Let me make this clear. I have researched this young man......Jefferson is a very tough guy that has fought his way "tooth and nail" out of the "dog eat dog" Colombian football league. Along the way, he has been subject to extreme racial abuse, that is a fact. He has also been badly injured a number of times in "payback" for his own aggressive tactics.

He behaves in fact, like a wolf......His skill set is not in question......however his effectiveness was based in an environment where tough, "marginal" play was tolerated. In other words, he is "a street fighter", just like Roy Keane was.

Unfortunately, The Premier League will not tolerate "street fighter" tactics anymore, because the value of Premier League players is such that they will not allow him to threaten assets that are worth tens of millions of pounds. Clearly, we have recently seen that Jefferson appears "out of his element" while trying to adjust to a league that is much stricter on him.

Can Eddie tame the wolf without "defanging" his capabilities? I am not sure. He is not good offensively in midfield and will have to prove his defensive worth without resorting to aggressive play. I would have thought that his future would be better served in a warm climate environment where he could comfortably speak his own language and hopefully mellow out.

Presently, the facts are thus......The Cherries are the second lowest fouling team in the League with only 8.7 fouls per game, of which Jefferson contributes about 20% thereof. I am happy to give him time, but.....he costs a lot of money. If a Spanish team is willing to pay us "Big Cash" for him, I think he would be a lot happier in a Hispanic environment. That would free up a lot of cash to hire a midfielder that plays a lot more in the B'mouth way.

From the games I've watched I've not seen an overly agressive side to Lerma. For me he is calm and collected, very different to a player like Arter for example. The cards I've seen have been due to calculated risk or inconsistent refereeing rather than recklessness. I think he is an excellent footballer and fits into our philosophy rather well. Sorry.

Just about all the players have some flaw in their overall package! I was a bit concerned about Lerma at the start..but he has performed as well as the others generally and added a dimension to our play in the middle! If Eddies happy and picks him we have to get behind him....I think at the end of the season...it will be a thumbs up for Jeff ! Next season could see him really pulling it out as a key Asset to our progress!

I think he has been an excellent acquisition. I think he is considerable step up from Arter. He is good in the air and tough in the tackle.

I could see him being chased by Manchester City, in the not too distant future, as a natural replace for Fernandinho, who will soon be getting past his best.

:utc:

From the games I've watched I've not seen an overly agressive side to Lerma. For me he is calm and collected, very different to a player like Arter for example. The cards I've seen have been due to calculated risk or inconsistent refereeing rather than recklessness. I think he is an excellent footballer and fits into our philosophy rather well. Sorry.

Spot on Red Sky....Lerma is always in complete control....for all his bookings he hasn't come close to getting a red.....as for our poor misguided poster Fronkie...it doesn't matter whether or not he has seen Lerma play but rather whether he understands what he's looking at.

Not having any of our players compared to Roy Keane who is a thug and cowardly supposed hard man!...I despise him more than any other ‘footballer’ ever...Lerma a good player for us who will only improve next season and beyond...I don’t agree with the original post...football has its own language anyhow...

I don’t really disagree when any of the above posts. I’m wondering if Jeff is just trying us out to see if we fit him. His partner and daughter still live in Spain as I understand it so perhaps he’s keeping his options open.

Seems a sensible lad to see how the first year goes given the culture change he is enduring, on and off the pitch. Been an amazing excellent start imho.

Lerma strikes me as an intelligent chap with traditional values. I’m sure his family and his kids’ education are very important to him. I don’t know what age his kids are but there are certain ages where it is very disruptive to uproot them and plonk them into a new educational system where everything happens in a different language. It could affect their entire future negatively. The fact that he still chose to come to us, knowing the sacrifices he would have to make with regard to time spent with his family, just shows how determined he is to forge the best possible career for himself and the best future for his family. It makes sense for him to test the waters here for a while before subjecting his whole family’s future to such upheaval.
From what I’ve seen he seems to have adapted well to life on the south coast and to playing in the Premier League.
A nice holiday with the family ( as mentioned above ) and a preseason devoid of transfer speculation and uncertainty will probably do him the world of good.

Lerma strikes me as an intelligent chap with traditional values. I’m sure his family and his kids’ education are very important to him. I don’t know what age his kids are but there are certain ages where it is very disruptive to uproot them and plonk them into a new educational system where everything happens in a different language. It could affect their entire future negatively. The fact that he still chose to come to us, knowing the sacrifices he would have to make with regard to time spent with his family, just shows how determined he is to forge the best possible career for himself and the best future for his family. It makes sense for him to test the waters here for a while before subjecting his whole family’s future to such upheaval.
From what I’ve seen he seems to have adapted well to life on the south coast and to playing in the Premier League.
A nice holiday with the family ( as mentioned above ) and a preseason devoid of transfer speculation and uncertainty will probably do him the world of good.
A cracking post!

I like Lerma a lot. He seems to be having fun here and he plays like a bull in a china shop. I don't think he's particularly aggressive or mean-spirited on the pitch: a lot of his yellows seem to come down to an exuberance that he'll learn to temper with time. Sure, he tends to ping passes around a little faster than most players can control (!) but again, it's something that I'm pretty confident he can fix. One of the first names on the team sheet right now.

I find it a little worrying his family haven’t moved here, he’s been here 8 months. He’s got a new born baby which arrived about 2 months ago it can’t be easy being in a different country with no family.

Let’s hope all is well

Great team asset.

Think he's all the attributes to be a club legend if we can persuade him to stay long term. Unlucky to join in the summer intake with Brooksy & imho flying a bit under the radar in some of our supporters eyes. Reminds me a bit of Marvin Bartley.

The bookings were a worry, but actually he's taken one for the team time and again & yet has had the intelligence to avoid a red card.

Street fighter maybe, but streetwise he definitely is

Sometime reputations precede a player. Bit unfair but when you come here with a reputation of getting carded it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Pundits know so little about him they’ll pick on one stat with nothing to explain why. He isn’t a dirty player and the cards I remember are when he stops a dangerous looking break and why is he the one stopping the break? Because positionally he is better than other midfielders in our team and has a better engine

And this is why I'll always dig you out on it Fonkle, you are completely wrong about him and I can't even begin to understand why you have come to the conclusion you have.

There are far, far more violent players in the Premier League and as somebody else posted, nothing has been overly aggressive, he's just taken one for the team when needed and been booked due to inconsistent refereeing.

I know this fronkle is on the wind up but it surprises me that he's picked Lerma to have a pop at because he's such a likable player. In all the years I've been watching football, no matter what league, fans will always love any player who gives it everything and is not scared of putting a tackle in. Sure, Harry Arter got some stick in the early days but that was because he kept getting booked and sent off for mouthing off. Lerma hasn't really been getting booked for stupid stuff, just a committed player.

A lot of his bookings have been 'taking one for the team' by stopping a quick break after a team mates mis=placed pass.

;