Jermain Defoe

No thanks.

Edit: On second thoughts, if this is move to pacify the Americans owners who seem to want us to sign big players, and it means Eddie will be able to sign his own players afterwards, then fine.

He is, or was, one of the best poachers in the game. If nothing else, he would be a wonderful mentor for some of our younger players.

70 per week for one year, plus 6m signing on fee = 9.64m. With a goal bonus and survival bonus on top, call it 10m. Sounds a lot for one season? But what is the going rate for a proven Premier League goal scorer with a solid fitness record?

In finishing 9th instead of 16th, we gained about 13m extra in end of season prize money alone.

I do just hope that a) it's not a long term deal, b) all the correct relegation clauses are in place should the worst happen (I imagine so given how he's leaving Sunderland), and c) that it doesn't upset the balance in the squad having someone on those wages. Yes we had Wilshere, but he was being indirectly paid more than the squad, not directly like Defoe.

Only Kane (54), Aguero (440, Lukaku (43), Sanchez (37), Vardy (37), Costa (32) have score more goals in Premier League over the last 2 seasons than Defoe (30).

Also I've seen a lot of comments on various forms of social media that we need so more experience Defoe would give us that. All our forwards will benefit from working with him and probably our defenders, and would you be happy going into the start of next season with 3 strikers if Wilson's still out injured.

Great player no doubt but who is negotiating these deals as not a great track record to date?
Millions of pounds wasted just because they've got the keys to the sweet shop maybe.

Depends which report is correct if either are.

£130,000 a week on a 3-year deal.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3629405/england-striker-jermain-defoe-agrees-three-year-130000-a-week-deal-with-bournemouth-after-sunderland-relegation/

Remember Afobe was supposed to have cost around 9m and he can't even kick the ball properly. 10 goals in 1.5 seasons.

Anyone think Defoe will score less than 10 next season? Seems like pretty good value to me...

simonhpieman - 23/5/2017 13:15

Remember Afobe was supposed to have cost around 9m and he can't even kick the ball properly. 10 goals in 1.5 seasons.

Anyone think Defoe will score less than 10 next season? Seems like pretty good value to me...

Afobe's goals per game record was better than Defoe's.

Guardian football writer

David Hytner @DaveHytner
I'd be v surprised if Defoe did not end up at Bournemouth. He's been offered £20m over 3 years, incl signing-on fee. Not bad for a 34yo!

Druss_the_Legend - 23/5/2017 13:35

abts - 23/5/2017 13:17

Afobe's goals per game record was better than Defoe's.

I think you need a new calculator mate :hmmm:

Afobe scores every 242 mins, Defoe every 222 mins.

I'm not sure how many pens Defoe took, but if there were a few in there it might mean Afobe's record was better in open play.

Defoe's stats this season:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/866966942472687616

Afobe's stats this season:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/866969092414218240

Spending £20 million on a three year contract for a 34 year old who's similar in style, but significantly worse in output, to a player we already have seems really, really, dumb.

....a lot of money riding on his fitness and desire to still be banging them in?...but IF that is what Howe wants then I support it

;