Jermain Defoe

It's the back line that needs stiffening ? This slump is quite concerning and all the talk of EH moving on to a "BIG TEAM " might be unsettling , to me Boscombe is always my BIGGEST team !

I'm not so sure about that really. Too old and expensive, not really Howe's style. In rely to Alchemist.

MB1980 - 30/4/2016 17:27

I'm not so sure about that really. Too old and expensive, not really Howe's style. In rely to Alchemist.

Glenn Murray and Sylvain Distin would disagree with your view of Eddie's style.

The Alchemist - 30/4/2016 17:31

I'd be amazed if either of them were on more than 50% of Defoes wage.

MB1980 - 30/4/2016 17:32

Distin is supposed to be might be one of our biggest earners. Doubt an experienced PL player like Murray was cheap either.

Defoe might have only one year left in him sure so think of it as a one year loan paying his wage so nothing carried forward if we ever got relegated.

Makes way too much sense to me.

The Alchemist - 30/4/2016 17:40

MB1980 - 30/4/2016 17:32

Distin is supposed to be might be one of our biggest earners. Doubt an experienced PL player like Murray was cheap either.

Defoe might have only one year left in him sure so think of it as a one year loan paying his wage so nothing carried forward if we ever got relegated.

Makes way too much sense to me.

Fair enough mate, each to their own. Personally I wouldn't go near someone at that age on that wage, with no future resale value.

I know a good site where we can find out what they're currently earning :hihi:

ChiknJorge - 30/4/2016 18:19

we don't need more strikers. we've invested more than enough on the frontline for next season

This. Centre back and centre midfield is what we need. And yes, he's too old.

ChiknJorge - 30/4/2016 18:19

we don't need more strikers. we've invested more than enough on the frontline for next season

Murray, Rantie, Tomlin and Iturbe will all go.

That leaves us with Wilson, Afobe, King and Grabban - all versions of differing quality of the same player.

Defoe has the game intelligence (and finishing) to add something different to the mix.

We will not let 4 strikers/attacking players go and not replace at least one of them.

eddie tried to sign him last summer and potentially also in january (he told us himself)

why wouldn't he again?

it's a yes for me (AS WELL AS central midfield and defence) guaranteed goals - and our younger strikers could learn so much from his experience

Wilson, Afobe, King and Defoe would be interesting front four but I'm not convinced Defoe is the right player to be honest. Too old and too expensive for us now.

So we were happy to pay £16 million plus wages if Iturbe had worked out yet Defoe would be too expensive ?

I think maths lessons are needed for some on here.

The Alchemist - 30/4/2016 20:39

So we were happy to pay £16 million plus wages if Iturbe had worked out yet Defoe would be too expensive ?

I think maths lessons are needed for some on here.

I'd rather pay that for the right player in his early twenties who had the potential and ability to be top class, than someone in their mid thirties who's past his best and will have zero value for future transfers.

I think Wilson and king are potential injury risks given their style of play. Callum played a lot with injury last season too so still think we need options upfront if lose Murray. Defoe makes sense as a signing if wages sensible .

It's a yes from me,I am a massive fan,even if he wasn't a regular starter,imagine having him come off the bench in the final stages of a game.
I am not sure Sunderland will go down yet though....

;