Jermain Defoe

To still be playing in the EFL at 39 is impressive. For comparison Eddie Howe hit his tenth year of management at that age.

Was a bit of a dream to get him back and a huge disappointment that he had no interest in fitting in with the team.

To still be playing in the EFL at 39 is impressive. For comparison Eddie Howe hit his tenth year of management at that age.

Was a bit of a dream to get him back and a huge disappointment that he had no interest in fitting in with the team.
Yep. It would have been a bit of a fairy tale if he'd had one last great ( and important ) spell here and then retired. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and his career has very much just fizzled out. It was a shame that it didn't work out for him in his last spell here, for whatever reason.

Imho the main trouble was that Defoe was spoon fed chances at Sunderland, most attacks geared to getting the ball to him in the box. However, we didnt play like that - as glen murray found to his cost. Thus likes of Wilson Grabban moussett king and solanke were a better fit.

Maybe he would do better in a SP team?

Jermaine was another striker who didn’t fit in to how Eddie Howe wanted to play.

Before he signed for us he scored 15 goals in the Premier League for a struggling Sunderland side.

Also was a regular scorer for other clubs he played for and his country.

First time around on loan at AFCB when Harry Redknapp was West Ham manager, remember the night when we the supporters asked Harry at a meeting if we could have the lad on loan, the rest is history.

Glenn Murray is the other striker, we have spoken about before, scored goals in a club where he fitted into their style of play, but not with Eddie at AFCB.

Last edited:
Horrible signing. Made absolutely zero sense, was such a bad fit for us that it was painful to watch at times. I remember there was one game in which he only touched the ball about four times. Problem was that the way we played under Eddie, the main forward had to have the ability to run the channels and stretch the opposition. He just couldn’t do this at his age. I’m not entirely sure that this one was on Eddie though, I remember Peak 6 at the time were very keen to recruit marquee type signings, hence Wilshere and Defoe.

Horrible signing. Made absolutely zero sense, was such a bad fit for us that it was painful to watch at times. I remember there was one game in which he only touched the ball about four times. Problem was that the way we played under Eddie, the main forward had to have the ability to run the channels and stretch the opposition. He just couldn’t do this at his age. I’m not entirely sure that this one was on Eddie though, I remember Peak 6 at the time were very keen to recruit marquee type signings, hence Wilshere and Defoe.
I agree with much of that. Really didn't see the point in signing him. At least after his goal away at Palace were able to sing '"We've got Jermain Defoe, he scored one in a row"

I was sad to see it didn’t work out for him second time around but I’ll always remember the memories of him from his first stint with us. A poor season was transformed on its head by a young 18 year old who was electric in and around the goal. He terrorised defences in his time with us and anyone at Oxford or Reading will testify to the buzz around the crowd when he touched it. Being the same age as him I also met him in the pitch for my 18th birthday and he was a pleasure to speak to then. Best of luck in retirement Jermain, you brought a spark to season 00/01!

I was sad to see it didn’t work out for him second time around but I’ll always remember the memories of him from his first stint with us. A poor season was transformed on its head by a young 18 year old who was electric in and around the goal. He terrorised defences in his time with us and anyone at Oxford or Reading will testify to the buzz around the crowd when he touched it. Being the same age as him I also met him in the pitch for my 18th birthday and he was a pleasure to speak to then. Best of luck in retirement Jermain, you brought a spark to season 00/01!

Always remember the great night at Cambridge, too

…I was at Stoke when he came on for the second half and headed in our consolation goal,the first of his ten in a row…I was also at The Manor ground Boxing day to see him score a worldy beating a few defenders and lobbing it into the net…he was a brilliant prospect back then…I also had the pleasure of watching him for Spurs and they loved him at White Hart Lane…best wishes JD and thanks for the memories…I also was at Selhurst to see the spectacular lob v Palace unforgettable

Always remember the great night at Cambridge, too

I think he scored on 6-7 , not sure, of games on the bounce for us. Harry R has just suggested that because there are goal keeping coaches and coaches for other areas on the pitch, Defoe should become a goal scoring coach,... I think we could do with a few more.
UTC

I think he scored on 6-7 , not sure, of games on the bounce for us. Harry R has just suggested that because there are goal keeping coaches and coaches for other areas on the pitch, Defoe should become a goal scoring coach,... I think we could do with a few more.
UTC
Ten games, Cambridge was no 10

Jermaine was another striker who didn’t fit in to how Eddie Howe wanted to play.

Before he signed for us he scored 15 goals in the Premier League for a struggling Sunderland side.

Also was a regular scorer for other clubs he played for and his country.

First time around on loan at AFCB when Harry Redknapp was West Ham manager, remember the night when we the supporters asked Harry at a meeting if we could have the lad on loan, the rest is history.

Glenn Murray is the other striker, we have spoken about before, scored goals in a club where he fitted into their style of play, but not with Eddie at AFCB.

Remember that night with the atrocious weather.
It was ,I believe that it was about the new stadium and in remembrance of Ken Dando (IIRC) who had fought for the new ground.
JD had already played for us and HR pressured into letting us have him for the rest of the the season.

;