Jon Moss

i think this is a tactical, psychological move. A pretty basic tactic very successfully used by the likes of Ferguson and Mourinho over the years was to create an "us against them" siege mentality.

If that's what the club is trying to do then hey ho. Every 1% counts in our situation.

With respect WTF has that got to do with it?

Players go down too easily every week to win fouls. If refs don’t like it, they have a very obvious response within the laws of the game. Give a yellow card to the offender. They can even take retrospective action and ban players who buy penalties or get opponents sent off.

This is a different matter entirely. Trying to justify what Moss has said because our players occasionally play act is laughable. It’s whataboutery of the highest order.

Whatever Moss thinks about our antics on the pitch, his comments are a disgrace and Dan is totally right to call him out on it.

It has everything to do with it... It's exactly the same argument that was had around Lerma and his reputation proceeding him... If we've become known for out 'antics', then Refs will of course start to ignore fouls they are not sure of, believing we've made a meal of things... and I'm not trying to justify anything... I'm trying to add both sides of the coin into what is probably quite a biased argument on this thread...

Don't get me wrong, like I said in my actual post. Moss was sh*t and we certainly didn't get the rub of the green when it came to his decisions, but I'm sorry, it's very naive to think that constantly going down under very little contact, screaming, and then lying there cos you're too embarrassed to suddenly get up when you realise you're not getting your foul, isn't going to eventually p*ss the ref off, and go against you later in the game...

Moss called Franno over to talk to him about something... I have no idea what but my guess it was to do with the niggly sh*t that was starting to become frequent...

Nowhere did I say that other teams don't do it... But in my book just because X does it, doesn't mean we should... and you can't argue that the players I've mentioned, don't go down at the drop of a hat...

It's just something that bugs me, whoever it is... and I would love to see retrospective cards been handed out for conning the ref, even if it was for our players... It needs to stop.

It has everything to do with it... It's exactly the same argument that was had around Lerma and his reputation proceeding him... If we've become known for out 'antics', then Refs will of course start to ignore fouls they are not sure of, believing we've made a meal of things... and I'm not trying to justify anything... I'm trying to add both sides of the coin into what is probably quite a biased argument on this thread...

Don't get me wrong, like I said in my actual post. Moss was sh*t and we certainly didn't get the rub of the green when it came to his decisions, but I'm sorry, it's very naive to think that constantly going down under very little contact, screaming, and then lying there cos you're too embarrassed to suddenly get up when you realise you're not getting your foul, isn't going to eventually p*ss the ref off, and go against you later in the game...

Moss called Franno over to talk to him about something... I have no idea what but my guess it was to do with the niggly sh*t that was starting to become frequent...

Nowhere did I say that other teams don't do it... But in my book just because X does it, doesn't mean we should... and you can't argue that the players I've mentioned, don't go down at the drop of a hat...

It's just something that bugs me, whoever it is... and I would love to see retrospective cards been handed out for conning the ref, even if it was for our players... It needs to stop.

No you are missing the point.

It’s obvious we go down too easily. No one could credibly defend that.

It’s different to the Lerma example because that’s just an example of a decision the ref got wrong. It’s frustrating for us but we’ve had them go our way too.

If what Moss has said is true, then he has shown disrespect to his profession.

Please don’t confuse these two separate issues. I don’t really disagree with anything you say about our play acting. I totally disagree with how you can use this to defend Moss’ alleged comments.

If you want to start a thread about our ‘antics’ or add to the many existing threads by all means. I might agree. But at least call out for Moss for being disrespectful and unprofessional here.

Absolutely agree with this and sunday we were arch purveyors of it. You could hear Rico screaming when he went down at the other end of the pitch and then get back up and carry on. Smith was no better. Players, including ours, are happy to jump into the referee's face and shout the odds. All of this is unprofessional. If Jon Moss told Gosling he was having a mare then a, he wasn't far wrong and b, Gosling should have stepped it up, but he didn't. Whining like this in the press doesn't help. Battle harder, win games, that's the only way to deal with criticism, whomever it comes from

Its on the National news now about Afcb reporting Moss...and Gossers contribution.

All that will do is bring more attention on us and more problems. The opposition players and fans will embrace it.
We really are having problems managing ourselves in this league of late....
The players transmitting in the press/media has to stop...
We need to Zip it.....and get back to the Heads Down, swaggering football that got us where we are . Thats how Sheffield are in 5th position!
And of course Moss has to be dealt with if he is showing any bias towards us...but thats Eddies job to represent our case.

Last edited:
I don’t see why Dan would say this if it didn’t happen and should be easy to check with officials micked up.
Dan must be pretty confident otherwise he’d face serious sanctions for going public .... he’s a decent grafting bloke.
Sadly though I do think we’ve a reputation of going down easy .... Wee man used to do it a lot , H Wilson does too and Callum always looking to refs to no avail

Some of the ref performances we've had in recent months would still be being discussed now if they happened to a bigger team. Because it's a club like us, they're swept under the carpet/barely highlighted.
Nail/head.

I've got a mate who supports Arsenal and he finds it pretty funny how I constantly harp on about how hard done by we are when it comes to officiating. Obviously he doesn't see it and has never really experienced it except in the odd isolated game - certainly not with the frequency we do.

My main concern re VAR was that it needs someone "impartial" to initiate a VAR check on something which means when we play a "big" club, incidents against us that are not given or given incorrectly won't necessarily be checked because it's at the whim of wallies like Moss.

My only regret with the Gosling incident is that our position is going to make this sound like sour grapes.

Let me try and put this another way.

If Moss said “I’m not giving you a free kick for that because you lot have been rolling on the floor all afternoon” then that’s a justifiable comment to make given our conduct.

Surely you can see the difference between that and “You’re having a mare and going back into the relegation zone”.

And anyway, you are all assuming it was our antics which caused him to say this. It’s far more likely he’s just an arrogant and unprofessional man and in which case his suitability as a top flight ref should be questioned.

If Moss said “I’m not giving you a free kick for that because you lot have been rolling on the floor all afternoon” then that’s a justifiable comment to make given our conduct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just say it's alright for a referee not to give a free kick even if he thinks it is one?? :oops:

I'm not sure there's any situation where that becomes ok...

Surely you can see the difference between that and “You’re having a mare and going back into the relegation zone”.

And anyway, you are all assuming it was our antics which caused him to say this. It’s far more likely he’s just an arrogant and unprofessional man and in which case his suitability as a top flight ref should be questioned.
Sorry but it would not be alright for him to say that either. His job is to give decisions not give excuses.

Why did Moss run halfway up the pitch to talk to Ramsdale while play was stopped, there was no goal kick or time wasting involved..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just say it's alright for a referee not to give a free kick even if he thinks it is one?? :oops:

I'm not sure there's any situation where that becomes ok...
No not quite what I meant. I mean more in ‘benefit of the doubt’ situations I could understand him leaning the other way.

If you want to start a thread about our ‘antics’ or add to the many existing threads by all means. I might agree. But at least call out for Moss for being disrespectful and unprofessional here.

If true, which I have no reason to doubt Gosling, then absolutely, Moss is being disrespectful here... It goes to show that Refs feel like they need to banter with players too much... I

I hate to quote rugby but it is the ONE thing I like about the game... 2-way respect... But it needs to be 2-way...

Players can't get the faces of refs and abuse the crap out of them, and then expect the utmost respect back

If you're daft enough to read any of my ramblings on here you might know that I see parallels between managing/refereeing a football match and managing (refereeing!) a classroom.

I'm sure this whole thing is not a conspiracy or anti-Bournemouth but this is how it goes... all schools will have systems on how to alert and guide teachers with regard to challenging children. I'm sure referees discuss challenging players and team's approaches. The best teachers will incorporate those strategies positively into their lesson and like the best referees exude control and confidence. Invariably this works best from a platform of good relationships and mutual respect. Think Oliver and Dean.

Less capable ones (sadly most of the rest) will jump straight on the first sign of a problem and the child/player will justifiably say they never had a chance - the person in charge was expecting a problem - he knew a dive or bad tackle was coming - and quickly found one. The lesson/match degenerates into a cycle of negative and reactionary responses.

The really poor practitioners will make things even worse by trying to exert their "authority" (quite the opposite of course) and enter into ill-advised verbal exchanges - I give you Jon Moss.

We've got a few quite reasonable "alerts" on some of our players and referees have seen what they were expecting to see. We're now in the headteacher's study and a good school leader would see this as a golden opportunity for some much needed dialogue - scope for improvement on both sides if you like. I have no idea if the PGMOL work that way but I think it's what is needed here.

It would do both sides no harm to hear some home truths and to see ways they could improve... and to gently ease the incapable Jon Moss into retirement.

If true, which I have no reason to doubt Gosling, then absolutely, Moss is being disrespectful here... It goes to show that Refs feel like they need to banter with players too much... I

I hate to quote rugby but it is the ONE thing I like about the game... 2-way respect... But it needs to be 2-way...

Players can't get the faces of refs and abuse the crap out of them, and then expect the utmost respect back
But as long as referees are totally unaccountable and not required to explain their decisions post match that'll never happen.

Get that mic broadcast like on the rugby and we might get somewhere.

;