Jordon Ibe

AFCBade - 7/7/2016 13:17

Liverpool should be made to sell him much cheaper if they want a sell on clause. £15m fee now should reflect value today and tomorrow. Today he is worth less than Ritchie but his potential pushes up the transfer price.

This.

Plus by going in big straight away it stops other clubs tentatively getting involved. They either have to put up or leave him to us which narrows the field down. A bit like the Mings manoeuvre.

kirsikka - 7/7/2016 13:48

AFCBade - 7/7/2016 13:17

Liverpool should be made to sell him much cheaper if they want a sell on clause. £15m fee now should reflect value today and tomorrow. Today he is worth less than Ritchie but his potential pushes up the transfer price.

This.

Plus by going in big straight away it stops other clubs tentatively getting involved. They either have to put up or leave him to us which narrows the field down. A bit like the Mings manoeuvre.

Hopefully Ibe avoids doing the other "Mings Manoeuvre" :crazy:

AlGard - 7/7/2016 13:41

The Alchemist - 7/7/2016 14:32

abts - 7/7/2016 13:13

Ritchie is unlikely to get any better than he is now. Ibe has huge potential. If he has one good season or gets in the England squad then we'll double our money on him easily.

The biggest factor is that Ritchie DID NOT WANT to be here. Shrewd business imho. Sold Ritchie probably at his optimum whilst getting Ibe who has alla the attributes we require and has so much room to get even better.

As with any youngster though, can Eddie unlock that talent ?

Unlock the potential. Exactly.
New team, new ideas and training methods.

I am excited by this possibility.

A Liverpool friend I spoke to just now said he could be another John Barnes. Stand by for frustrations, but it will be out weighed by brilliance.

He is going to get fat and start rapping ? :grin:

I admit I have an untrained eye. But I watched a lot of Liverpool matches early last year, and I never understood why Ibe fell out of favor with Klopp. The kid hustles. Any player with heart thrives at Bournemouth. To pay 15m for a 20 yo who wants to be here is better than 12m for a 26 yo who doesn't. I loved Ritchie, but that ship has sailed.

I think this is a very shrewd, tremendously great signing.

(If he flops, I look forward to being teased like the Josh King "not fit for the shirt" stuff. :)

Esquared1 - 7/7/2016 14:46

I admit I have an untrained eye. But I watched a lot of Liverpool matches early last year, and I never understood why Ibe fell out of favor with Klopp. The kid hustles. Any player with heart thrives at Bournemouth. To pay 15m for a 20 yo who wants to be here is better than 12m for a 26 yo who doesn't. I loved Ritchie, but that ship has sailed.

I think this is a very shrewd, tremendously great signing.

(If he flops, I look forward to being teased like the Josh King "not fit for the shirt" stuff. :)

Teased.......what a quant little word.

I wasn't a massive fan when played for Derby, but I may have been kicking back at how the media fawned over Derby like they do all formerly successful clubs.

Felt he'd improved when LFC played us and he does strike me an EH signing. So fairly happy with this.

Can't decide if £15M is too much, mainly cos prices are becoming a bit skewed by the new TV deal cash

AFCB Lost in Brum - 7/7/2016 16:35
Can't decide if £15M is too much, mainly cos prices are becoming a bit skewed by the new TV deal cash

Of course it's the new TV deal. Everybody has gone up 30% along with the deal.

Let us look at the AFCB side of 82 with today's TV deal.

Andy Crawford 7 million
Tony Funnell 12 million

Actually, a fun post would be to cost AFCB players from year gone by at today's prices.

Al - I think we have to assume that we're talking 'at today's prices and assuming they were playing for us now in the PL'.

Ted Mac would have to be the most expensive, surely? £25M?

My favourite player, Ian Bishop. £18M.

Reminds me of the excitement when we beat a dozen or so other clubs to sign Conal Platt. : )
I hope he makes more impact : )

Seems like a good signing. Didn't play great last year but obviously has a higher ceiling than Ritchie. You pay for potential and I think he's pretty comparable to Ritchie at the moment, so paying 3m for potential isn't bad, especially with Eddie's knack for improving players. As kirsika said though, hopefully there's no buyback clause.

Liverpool negotiated both buy-back and sell-on clauses in the £15million deal they
have struck with Bournemouth for Jordon Ibe .

The 20-year-old winger has been given permission to hold talks with the South Coast outfit after the Reds accepted the Cherries’ offer.

Ibe must decide whether to head for Bournemouth in search of regular first-team football or stay and fight for his place at Anfield.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-fc-negotiate-buy-back-11584337

If accurate then I find the deal a whole lot less appealing. A glorified loan. Still, what do I know.

I've long been impressed by Ibe. For me he is already a better player (albeit different) than Ritchie so fingers crossed this goes through.

AlGard - 7/7/2016 15:41
Let us look at the AFCB side of 82 with today's TV deal.

Andy Crawford 7 million
Tony Funnell 12 million

Apparently Mansfield can't now afford the other half of the £2million they paid for Trevor Morgan so he's coming back...

...and I thought it wouldn't get better than that :emoticon:

ohhhhhtokelorantie - 7/7/2016 16:24

guess the ibe chant would be the same as we sung for danny ings?

"jordan, jordan ibe
jordan, jordan ibe!"

(to the tune of daddy cool)

I'd have liked the surname to be two syllables (Aye-bee) as Poison Ivy is then perfect. I've thought that since that under 16s(?) game at Dean Court.

*picks up jacket and shuffles off*

kirsikka - 7/7/2016 19:19

If accurate then I find the deal a whole lot less appealing. A glorified loan. Still, what do I know.

Depends on the fees involved, if they have 50% sell on of plus £15million, then that would be disappointing in comparison to 15-30%.

If they can buy him back at any moment for £15million then again slightly disappointing but if the buy back is £20million and rising every year then again, it's less so.

We've made these kind of deals work before, remember John Spicer... :grin: (perhaps not the best example...)

;