Kieffer Moore

Absolutely not. A striker is now top of the list. We have adequate options in central midfield - Lerma, Cook, Billing, Kilkenny, Brooks, Christie, Pearson can all play there. It’s all well and good having a ball carrying midfield as @Topfarrier says but they can only carry the ball so far without an out and out striker on the pitch to finish it off and if Solanke gets injured we are up the creek without a paddle. Lowe is a decent option agreed but need other options to lean on should he get injured before strengthening arguably our strongest position!
Couldn't agree more. We could handle an injury to pretty much anyone else in our squad except Solanke. Lowe up top would be an option for 1 or 2 games but we would fall off a cliff if it was any longer. A mobile CF who can hold up the ball as well as spin behind is critical to everything we do. Otherwise we look like Arsenal did today, toothless.

No issue with us building for the future with other signings, but if we fail to get cover for Solanke while the window is still open then we've only got ourselves to blame if we end up struggling.

Having said that, not sure Moore is the right option (but is still better than nobody).

Kieffer Moore is brilliant for Wales. He is one of the players I worry about when we are against him. The only problem is we are really poor at set piece deliveries. If Surridge was 5 million, then Moore for 10 million is a very reasonable price.

People severely underrating Lowe on this thread imo. He has the attributes to do a similar job to Solanke if given a chance. He scored 14 goals last season playing centre forward for a very conservative Swansea side.
I am not underating him, he seems like a good player in the making.
I would also like to see C Saydee given a chance because what I have seen so far of him looks good. He reminds me of Lukaka.
All these young players just need some game time to fit in.

Absolutely not. A striker is now top of the list. We have adequate options in central midfield - Lerma, Cook, Billing, Kilkenny, Brooks, Christie, Pearson can all play there. It’s all well and good having a ball carrying midfield as @Topfarrier says but they can only carry the ball so far without an out and out striker on the pitch to finish it off and if Solanke gets injured we are up the creek without a paddle. Lowe is a decent option agreed but need other options to lean on should he get injured before strengthening arguably our strongest position!
We don’t have adequate options in terms of players who are comfortable playing the number eight role, we have many players who can play as a six or a deeper lying central midfielder but our system uses two advanced midfielders. We are over stacked in terms of central midfielders but aside from Billing (and Marcondes who does not seem to be trusted) we do not have a single one who is naturally suited to the system that we play.
Lowe is a more than adequate back up option for Solanke. I agree that another striker should be high up on the list, but at the top should be that right sided number eight who can play alongside Billing.

Why don’t we simply train and coach Marcondes so he is better? That’s what the coaching team are for.

IMHO it is almost always better, and usually cheaper and less risky, to train up your existing staff who show promise than to recruit externally.

Many of us are talking about having a backup striker for Solanke, just in case he is injured or hits a very dry spell. Ok, but how about looking at this a little differently?

I've read your comments about Jamal Lowe filling that spot but I believe that he is better suited to be out wider, wouldn't we would all like a goal-sneak like Callum Wilson or a young Jermaine Defoe?

Yes, I know that I grew up with Boyer and McDougall but in some respects our style of play today is similar to what it was in the 70's.

How would you feel if we put Lewis Grabban in the 9 spot and Dominic Solanke in the 10? Grabban has many of the attributes of both Callum and Ted McDougall, and we have seen Solanke perform the Boyer role admirably over the last two seasons.
Instead of the wingers from the 70's we now have wing-backs, and we seem to have a couple of those already in Anthony / Stanislaus and Christie / Marcondes.
Our midfield would comprise a defensive midfielder and a player who can hold up play and create openings for the forwards.
This I suggest, widens the pitch for us so that we are a little less reliant on having to either instigate play through the midfield or become predictable down the wings and in effect gives us a Plan B... I've read many of you over over the years yearn for that.

Anyway that is my musing for a frigid afternoon here.
Oh, and yes it would indeed be difficult to get Grabban, but I'm looking for a full-time player not a back-up who plays only in emergencies!

Why don’t we simply train and coach Marcondes so he is better? That’s what the coaching team are for.

IMHO it is almost always better, and usually cheaper and less risky, to train up your existing staff who show promise than to recruit externally.
I think he should play. But if he’s not trusted at the moment for whatever reason then we need to find somebody who is with the right attributes.

Personally, I can’t see it, not even at £5million. Even at that price it would double our outlay on transfer fees over the two years we’ve been in the Championship on what is ultimately a reserve team striker.

Yes we need cover for Solanke but I doubt it’ll come at that price on someone with an ever decreasing resale value, it just doesn’t fit the model we’ve been working to.

If it was a loan and then we chuck millions at Cardiff from the Sky income following promotion, then that’s the only way I can picture it without a change of tact in the background.

Personally, I can’t see it, not even at £5million. Even at that price it would double our outlay on transfer fees over the two years we’ve been in the Championship on what is ultimately a reserve team striker.

Yes we need cover for Solanke but I doubt it’ll come at that price on someone with an ever decreasing resale value, it just doesn’t fit the model we’ve been working to.

If it was a loan and then we chuck millions at Cardiff from the Sky income following promotion, then that’s the only way I can picture it without a change of tact in the background.
A loan with option to buy would be the only way this could happen.

just seen he is 29, thought he was younger, so 5 million is about right, 10 million far too much.

that is what the sun “article” implies / loan fee and transfer at end of season with promotion in the bag

I am surprised by the link and agree with your sentiment. However Moore has always looked excellent playing for Wales, and so I dont think he would be a 'reserve' striker. I am not sure what we are supposed to do here. We clearly need another striker in the squad, and we want one who is decent. I think Moore fits the bill, especially as he brings something different.

10m, based on a loan and promotion, would not be bad business, depending on what the deal is if we don't go up. We have done something similar with Christie if I recall correctly?

It seems a pretty astute way of boosting the squad, whilst remaining financially prudent.

That said Moore, should be nearer 5/6m perhaps. I dont know what he has left on his contract though?

a championship Chris Wood?

seen him described as a cart horse and a donkey but some of his goals have been class the last few years; his Cardiff form’s dipped after having his head turned last summer but could add a new dimension to our attack, is powerful attacking crosses and has a poacher’s instinct - more to like than not like for a few million

;