King keeps Wolves from the door...

Decent show considering the injuries. Fine debut by Mepham, Solanke OK, though indecisive.

How did Gosling get MOM?? Usual energy - and usual messy touch and poor distribution, so that yet again our midfield put the defence under pressure needlessly. As MOTD has just shown, Ake put on a top show and should have got the award.

Should King have taken the second pen? Moments earlier he was getting help from JT for cramp. His shot was half-hit, a poor effort. He should have passed the chance to Fraser, even Ibe or Solanke.
What you have to remember is that MOM awards are made by sponsors who often have no clue as to football performance. I never take them seriously and I suspect most players don't either.

The amount of ground Gosling covered was incredible. I’m quite impressed the match sponsors noticed that. His ability on the ball was rubbish! I’d give Aké as MOM. I can’t complain about anyone giving the award for Gosling as different people do appreciate different qualities

Solanke on target and made the keeper work and gets abuse by some....Ib misses yet another shot off target and people think the new messiah has turned up. So many lost possessions again today. He wouldn;t even make the bench but for injuries.

Mepham was great, you can see why Eddie signed him Solanke runs the line up front and was unlucky with the shot and also 2 great headers.

Ake MoM by a country mile. So much class.
What a ridiculous comment. Solanke's chance was a sitter and he should have buried it, Ibe's was barely even a half chance but nearly a wonder goal created entirety of his own making. Am really starting to get fed up of the treatment of Ibe from certain sections of the 'supporter' base, yes he is frustrating but for goodness sake support the boy and give him credit when he makes a positive contribution. The constant groans and snide remarks really don't help matters, if you're not going to support the team during the 90 minutes then stay at home!!

And we continue to see the same comments that Ibe will come good. That Ibe has it in him. If we all just BELIEVE.

How many years is one player going to be given the chance for? He ran out of chances 2 years ago. Some on here really need to accept that he's not our level and move on. No matter how nice the guy is.

As for the comment about him punching holes in the defence..

To me Ibe is in the same camp as Solanke, Gosling, Surman, Rico, Mings, Pugh, Mepham, Daniels, Mousset...they don’t play when everyone’s fit.

Without injuries you would only see Ibe in the few cup games we have before we go out with a whimper.

The question is with all of these to me is are they good enough to be squad players and how good a reserve team is it possible for a club of our stature to have. Will a top class winger come and be a reserve all the time behind Fraser for example. We have seen this problem with full backs over the years in the Prem.

My personal opinion is Ibe is as good a reserve winger and impact sub as we will get, unless we turn up a brilliant championship winger...maybe Mahoney although he can’t always get in Birmingham’s side.

Attention to Ibe is drawn by the people that hurl abuse everytime he loses the ball...the same people that shout ‘unlucky weeman’ when Fraser does it.

He has many points of improvement don’t get me wrong but he is our fourth choice winger. Maybe people think we have come further than we have!

Because he didn't have a good game? Constantly lost the ball. He has a shot that hits the bar and you think he had a decent game? FML.

Constantly lost the ball? I suppose you're classing the run into the box for the 1st penalty and the shot that hit the bar as two of those occasions. Ibe tries to make things happen, it doesn't always come off. You are alone in saying he was poor yesterday.

To me Ibe is in the same camp as Solanke, Gosling, Surman, Rico, Mings, Pugh, Mepham, Daniels, Mousset...they don’t play when everyone’s fit.

Without injuries you would only see Ibe in the few cup games we have before we go out with a whimper.

The question is with all of these to me is are they good enough to be squad players and how good a reserve team is it possible for a club of our stature to have. Will a top class winger come and be a reserve all the time behind Fraser for example. We have seen this problem with full backs over the years in the Prem.

My personal opinion is Ibe is as good a reserve winger and impact sub as we will get, unless we turn up a brilliant championship winger...maybe Mahoney although he can’t always get in Birmingham’s side.

Attention to Ibe is drawn by the people that hurl abuse everytime he loses the ball...the same people that shout ‘unlucky weeman’ when Fraser does it.

He has many points of improvement don’t get me wrong but he is our fourth choice winger. Maybe people think we have come further than we have!

The problem Neil is that for much of the first half he was holding his hand up to say sorry rather than getting involved in the game, 3 times in as many minutes fast breaks broke down because the ball went to him and he stopped, then got dispossessed.

The reason they dont say the same to the Weeman was typified yesterday when he got surrounded by 3 players, was on the floor, fought to get the ball back, won it then laid the ball off and was down the wing in a shot. The Weeman gets stuck in, he makes thinks happen while things happen around Ibe and when he gets involved it mostly comes to an end.

I would LOVE him to come good. All of our players and everyone who dons the shirt and badge are heros. I dont shout abuse at any player but I might hang my head and curse during a match, thats just natural.

Ibe has not improved, if anything hes going backwards. At the moment, the fact that Pugh moving on has moved him up to our 4th best winger shows that we do need to strengthen. We have come further than playing Ibe. There are many players out there who are better and while Stan is still on the books we have to accept his time out injured. The gulf between our 3rd 4th wingers and David Brooks/Ryan Fraser should not be so great. Especially in a position that you routinely rotate and give everyone plenty of chances. Its not like being a backup centre back who knows that only injury will see them in the side. Wingers get their chances.

Last edited:
Constantly lost the ball? I suppose you're classing the run into the box for the 1st penalty and the shot that hit the bar as two of those occasions. Ibe tries to make things happen, it doesn't always come off. You are alone in saying he was poor yesterday.

Yes, no one else at the ground felt the same way as me....

PS...I love the way you mention the couple of times people are talking about in 90 mins of football? A run and a miss?

Thats all you hope for from a player? 89 minutes of giving the ball away and 1 minute of taking a shot and missing?

Meanwhile Solanke chases down, gets stuck in, gets a shot away on target forcing a save and gets pelters on here. Its a funny old game...

The problem Neil is that for much of the first half he was holding his hand up to say sorry rather than getting involved in the game, 3 times in as many minutes fast breaks broke down because the ball went to him and he stopped, then got disposed.

The reason they dont say the same to the Weeman was typified yesterday when he got surrounded by 3 players, was on the floor, fought to get the ball back, won it then laid the ball off and was down the wing in a shot. The Weeman gets stuck in, he makes thinks happen while things happen around Ibe and when he gets involved it mostly comes to an end.

I would LOVE him to come good. All of our players and everyone who dons the shirt and badge are heros. I dont shout abuse at any player but I might hang my head and curse during a match, thats just natural.

Ibe has not improved, if anything hes going backwards. At the moment, the fact that Pugh moving on has moved him up to our 4th best winger shows that we do need to strengthen. We have come further than playing Ibe. There are many players out there who are better and while Stan is still on the books we have to accept his time out injured. The gulf between our 3rd 4th wingers and David Brooks/Ryan Fraser should not be so great. Especially in a position that you routinely rotate and giver everyone plenty of chances. Its not like being a backup centre back who knows that only injury will see them in the side. Wingers get their chances.

You may be right and a winger will be on our shopping list if so in the summer. I just think for a fourth choice winger (and he is that for s lot of the faults you talk about) who never gets a run to establish himself so only ever comes in fits and starts he is not as bad as some people suggest.

Nobody is saying he should start in the first team when Brooks, Weeman and Stan are fit.

You may be right and a winger will be on our shopping list if so in the summer. I just think for a fourth choice winger (and he is that for s lot of the faults you talk about) who never gets a run to establish himself so only ever comes in fits and starts he is not as bad as some people suggest.

Nobody is saying he should start in the first team when Brooks, Weeman and Stan are fit.

Fair enough, maybe I expect too much from someone who made the seasons squad. Missing Wilson, Brooks and the Cooks is tough to overcome.

Solanke did well to create the chance but his attempt at goal was poor for a top level striker.

Stanislas has been way below his best this season.

Clyne doesnt push forward very much to work an overlap with Ibe.

Ibe has shown better awareness recently though from a low start point. His work rate seems higher also.

Onwards and upwards.

Conversation between Ake and Gosling in training;

Your so sh#te.. dear Gosser, dear Gosser!
And your so Brilliant..Oh Nathan..oh Nathan!

Then they toddled off for a cup of tea....ignoring all the boring, average 6s and 7s !

"I wish I could be like them"... said Gosser.

" No No ! ..we have to get the balance right to keep me above them....
..its called Teamwork...my best Bud! " said Nat.

Last edited:
Ibe is improving slowly I feel and certainly doesn't deserve the grief he's getting on here from the usual source. In two abject team performances against Liverpool and Cardiff he was probably our stand out player and yesterday he wasn't that bad either. He's starting to release the ball earlier rather than run into dead ends. I think Jim nailed it above when he said his awareness and work rate is improving both of which I feel have been his major faults. I'm pretty sure he headed the ball yesterday as well.;)

Ibe is improving slowly I feel and certainly doesn't deserve the grief he's getting on here from the usual source. In two abject team performances against Liverpool and Cardiff he was probably our stand out player and yesterday he wasn't that bad either. He's starting to release the ball earlier rather than run into dead ends. I think Jim nailed it above when he said his awareness and work rate is improving both of which I feel have been his major faults. I'm pretty sure he headed the ball yesterday as well.;)

You sure about that RH? Can I get the minute in to the match please... ;)

;