Kings Park Drive - Parking

Thanks Jon.
Today I e-mailed Liz Finney to highlght the issue and made the suggestion that perhaps the club could reserve sufficient parking spaces (close to the stadium) for blue badge holders and if they haven't been filled say 1hr before k.o. then they become available to anyone else. The main reason for this suggestion is that IF there are insufficient close places in the south car park to accommodate ALL the Blue badge holders the unfortunate ones will have no alternative but to miss the match now that close street parking is not an option & currently we do not have a park & ride facility.
A park and ride scheme is something that might alleviate some of the issues.

Dear All
I have been writing emails to both the council and Police on this matter given the Social Media ratification by the Police.

For those who are not part of the AFCB disability group on FB
The council plan to make these restrictions last the minimum of a year but could extend to 18 months. We have a local councillor who is behind us on this matter.

Following an email from the council today linking me to a road works site ( yes that is correct they have pushed this through on a road works order. )

The link to the documents are below. you should note that the order is NOT sealed OR dated to make it a legal document. Also note the start date 13.8.2019 not 3 matches ago!

Attachments

• thistlebarrow-rd-2019-mn_a67dda7570.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 23
  • thistlebarrow-rd-2019-order_b7eb387090.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 13
I see the small car park opposite the old fitness first centre by the golf course is now 3 hours maximum

RH,

Thanks for that. I parked there Saturday and never noticed that. Might even have to stop parking on the double yellow lines in there as well!!!

RH,

Thanks for that. I parked there Saturday and never noticed that. Might even have to stop parking on the double yellow lines in there as well!!!
Hi DR, I just noticed it when I walked back after the game. I always park further up the road.
I have no idea if they monitor and enforce the 3 hours or if it is just a "polite"notice to discourage long term parking. Might be worth checking if there are any other notices there.

Oh dear, this isn't going to go away.
Yesterday I went to Dean Court at 11am & spoke to 2 stewards who advised me that a large section of the car park was allocated to Blue badge holders but suggested that my Dad arrives early.
My Dad arrived at 12:07 to be told disabled section full, he asked at what time to be told approx 45mins ago hence 11:20 (2hrs 40 mins before k.o.)
Liz Finney has not as yet replied to my e-mail of 13/8/19 nor has anyone else from club enquiries (19/8/19) even though this e-mail received an automated reply "We aim to respond to your enquiry within 1-2 working days" 7 days and still waiting!
On leaving the ground yesterday those that had parked on the road had ALL received a parking ticket. Taxis and other cars were still entering the road and picking people up then doing 3 point turns without any official intervening.

All in the catch-all name of 'safety'. Decision made by the Safety Advisory Group, probably none of whom have issues around parking.

I'm struggling to see how they identified a risk arising from parking along that road.

They always seem to come at the traffic/parking issues from the wrong angle.
To me the biggest problems are not so much parking in KP Drive itself, but allowing taxis, car pick ups etc to arrive as everyone is trying to leave the area. That is a recipe for chaos. Taxis also come down Thistlebarrow road to pick up which causes problems.
I have always thought that all traffic in the area needs to be stopped for 10 mins post end of game to allow all pedestrians to exit the ground and cross roads to get past QP lights/underpass etc. Most other clubs have this kind of arrangement.
They also need a designated taxi drop off/pick up area that is out of the normal traffic area but don't ask me where that could go.

Yesterday there were cars parked both sides in Thistlebarrow Road from the east end from Littledown Avenue to the end where you turn left to the stadium.

The restrictions were from west end from Littledown Avenue both sides down to the stadium.

So wouldn’t it make more sense to have single parking from the east and west ends with the junctions with Littledown Avenue?

Then emergency vehicles and general traffic can pass through safely.

Yesterday there were cars parked both sides in Thistlebarrow Road from the east end from Littledown Avenue to the end where you turn left to the stadium.

The restrictions were from west end from Littledown Avenue both sides down to the stadium.

So wouldn’t it make more sense to have single parking from the east and west ends with the junctions with Littledown Avenue?

Then emergency vehicles and general traffic can pass through safely.

Of course it would but that would be called common sense.

T...They also need a designated taxi drop off/pick up area that is out of the normal traffic area but don't ask me where that could go.

My caveat for this post is that I haven't been down Thistlebarrow Road on match day for years but....

Seeing as it's a natural loop, making Thistlebarrow Road one way on match days and having only taxis queue there might work.

If they came in via the most easterly end, and left by the westerly, a gap could be left for emergency vehicle access to the ground.

HOWEVER, as I said, I haven't been down Thistlebarrow Road on match day for years and have no clue how it works, or not currently.

My caveat for this post is that I haven't been down Thistlebarrow Road on match day for years but....

Seeing as it's a natural loop, making Thistlebarrow Road one way on match days and having only taxis queue there might work.

If they came in via the most easterly end, and left by the westerly, a gap could be left for emergency vehicle access to the ground.

HOWEVER, as I said, I haven't been down Thistlebarrow Road on match day for years and have no clue how it works, or not currently.
Thats certainly possible and pre match could be a good option, but post match with the sheer volume of people walking down there I wouldn't favour any traffic movement until 10 minutes after the game ends.

Would help traffic flow if they made the road across the park by the cafe one way in the other direction. Cars parked there would leave quicker and it provides an extra route out from the car parks onto Ashley road.

I am in no position to comment on our accessible parking arrangements. I'd only suggest that it begs the question as to what other clubs do? And could we learn from them?

Plenty of inner city stadiums are 3, even 5 times larger than us, and have fewer on-site car parking spaces than we have, and less nearby available road parking.

They also have far more foot traffic entering/leaving games, and often have stadium surrounding road closures in place for a period after the final whistle to help that foot traffic.

Either these clubs have similar frustrations mentioned here but on a larger scale, or they have some good policies and processes in place (and more Police and officials perhaps) to manage it all?

From our experiences, I would say I've been disappointed with Premier League provisions for disabled fans. I think, in our first season up we had more wheelchair spaces at Dean Court than Old Trafford. Although they do have the best wheelchair accessible meeting room and it's open and advertised to visiting w/c users. Unlike the Emirates, they have one but like to keep it to themselves. Very few have one, although we do.
I've just realised, I could go on all night about our road trips but I'll try and stick to accessible parking. Not a lot of clubs have as many spaces as us,there's very few at Everton and Liverpool and an hours wait to do the first mile coming home. Burnley, smaller crowd and pride themselves as a "friendly, family club". Paid £10 to use one of their disabled places, right next to the ground and not many of them, it took even longer to do the first mile. Went to book the next year and they wanted £20 for a Disabled parking space, we declined. Luckily, our club run the Magic Bus to all aways now. Chatting to visiting w/c users from other clubs, that's another thing only a few Prem clubs do and that includes all the Big 6.
Villa park, absolute gridlock coming out, if you use their spaces. We were in with their w/c users, not ideal but it was all good natured. Only 8 visitors w/c spaces, believe it or not, that's adequate for some Prem clubs, A.F.C.B. had sold them by teatime on the first day of sale.
Overall, I think our tinpot club compares well with others in the division. I don't think it can ever be perfect, after all, you're taking someone sat down on a wheeled chair, through a mass of thousands all walking tightly together. Then you're one of the first in your car but at the back of the queue when you want to move.
Our club does a lot of things right but, as in life. they'll never do anything perfectly
: )

The key to managing traffic is to a) maximise the use of public transport: b) ensure that those coming by (their own) car to the immediate surroundings of the ground do not all arrive and leave at the same time; and c) managing private car, taxi and minibus drop off and collection to minimise disruption to other road users.

;