Kit Sponsor

Also disproportionately hits the smaller clubs
AFCB, Brentford, Fulham, Leeds, Palace, Southampton, West Ham, Everton and Newcastle. Only Everton was a sort of big club when the deals were signed.

I've not included crypto or other investment companies in the list.

I guess the puritans will be happy.

Where do you draw the line? Is the tobacco ban a secret plot to hit the smaller clubs? Perhaps we should relax all the rules and allow Colombian cocaine cartels to advertise on there just so football clubs can boost player wages by a few quid.

Former England and Arsenal footballer Paul Merson says it "sickens" him when he sees former players and managers in gambling adverts.

Merson is campaigning for betting laws to be changed as part of an upcoming government review.

Last year he made a BBC documentary about his gambling addiction and the industry, saying adverts are a "major trigger".

"I see people in adverts and they are rich," Merson said.

The 53-year-old Merson, who had a 21-year league career, added: "I could understand it if they were a League One or League Two player and had not earned much from the game, but the people doing the adverts are multi-millionaires.

"Do they need the money? Do you need that extra £50,000? It sickens me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60667575#:~:text=Former England and Arsenal footballer,of an upcoming government review.

And legendary England goalkeeper Peter Shilton, a recovered gambling addict, branded whistle-to-whistle a “token effort”.

He added: “Football used to be a beautiful, family game. You can’t watch it now without seeing a betting advert.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/betting-firms-dodging-football-ban-29313686

Last edited:
Where do you draw the line? Is the tobacco ban a secret plot to hit the smaller clubs? Perhaps we should relax all the rules and allow Colombian cocaine cartels to advertise on there just so football clubs can boost player wages by a few quid.

Only you could create a false equivalence between the legal and highly regulated gambling industry and international crime.

Where do you draw the line? Is allowing stocks shares or crypto allowed? What about beer? Maybe we should ban games on Sundays.

Only you could create a false equivalence between the legal and highly regulated gambling industry and international crime.

Where do you draw the line? Is allowing stocks shares or crypto allowed? What about beer? Maybe we should ban games on Sundays.

It's an exaggeration to highlight that there is already a line that has been drawn that means that clubs don't get as much revenue as they otherwise would. Tobacco advertising is not allowed on football shirts in the UK. Alcohol advertising is banned in much of Europe and heavily restricted in the UK, which is why it no longer appears on shirts.

It's not false equivalence because it already happens. To answer your question I would ban betting advertising completely. Sod football clubs and their revenues.

It's an exaggeration to highlight that there is already a line that has been drawn that means that clubs don't get as much revenue as they otherwise would. Tobacco advertising is not allowed on football shirts in the UK. Alcohol advertising is banned in much of Europe and heavily restricted in the UK, which is why it no longer appears on shirts.

It's not false equivalence because it already happens. To answer your question I would ban betting advertising completely. Sod football clubs and their revenues.

I haven't seen any evidence that there's any legislation banning alcohol advertising on shirts. It's just piss water lager companies aren't raking it in any more.

So the line is everything that currently banned, alcohol and gambling?

Cypto fine, credit cards fine, stocks and shares fine, sponsors that share ownership with murderous regime owners are fine, ad infinitum?

Also I think you'll need to explain again how having shirt sponsorship having parity with standard UK law is the same as the same as allowing drugs cartels as sponsors.

I haven't seen any evidence that there's any legislation banning alcohol advertising on shirts. It's just piss water lager companies aren't raking it in any more.

So the line is everything that currently banned, alcohol and gambling?

Cypto fine, credit cards fine, stocks and shares fine, sponsors that share ownership with murderous regime owners are fine, ad infinitum?

Also I think you'll need to explain again how having shirt sponsorship having parity with standard UK law is the same as the same as allowing drugs cartels as sponsors.

It is banned in European competition, which is probably why firms have stopped advertising it on shirts. Alcohol firms spend the best part of £1bn a year on advertising their piss water so I don't think your assertion that the bottom has fallen out of the market is particularly accurate is it.

Yeah that's where the line is. There has to be a line, which I emphasised by making the deliberately outlandish comparison with drugs cartels, so it's a matter of making the argument for and against everything that people might want to advertise. Where is your line? Just one big free for all?

I suppose it'll add a bit of spice when Burnley sponsored by Britain First play Brighton sponsored by the Peadophile Information Exchange.

Where is your line? Just one big free for all?
Ultimately it should be up to the clubs, and seen as this was agreed amongst the clubs currently in the Premier League, I don't get the argument that it hurts smaller clubs more - they obviously don't see it that way?

I am sure that AFCB offering replica shirts without the sponsor on them was a good commercial move and perhaps raised a little more revenue than they may have previously?

Ultimately it should be up to the clubs, and seen as this was agreed amongst the clubs currently in the Premier League, I don't get the argument that it hurts smaller clubs more - they obviously don't see it that way?

Like with other aspects of football I suspect that clubs are trying to do the absolute minimum that will prevent government from getting directly involved. I reckon the clubs would still have tobacco all over their shirts if they could get away with it.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/blackburn-rovers-shirt-sponsor-2022-24116763

Like with other aspects of football I suspect that clubs are trying to do the absolute minimum that will prevent government from getting directly involved. I reckon the clubs would still have tobacco all over their shirts if they could get away with it.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/blackburn-rovers-shirt-sponsor-2022-24116763
Yes I agree in part, but the "Premier League" is a product that they are trying to sell globally. It may not just be the UK government that they are concerned about.

It is banned in European competition, which is probably why firms have stopped advertising it on shirts. Alcohol firms spend the best part of £1bn a year on advertising their piss water so I don't think your assertion that the bottom has fallen out of the market is particularly accurate is it.

Yeah that's where the line is. There has to be a line, which I emphasised by making the deliberately outlandish comparison with drugs cartels, so it's a matter of making the argument for and against everything that people might want to advertise. Where is your line? Just one big free for all?

I suppose it'll add a bit of spice when Burnley sponsored by Britain First play Brighton sponsored by the Peadophile Information Exchange.

If it were only because of Europe then it would only apply to 6 teams in the whole of England and even those teams could have either a separate sponsor or no sponsor in Europe.

More likely the year on year decline of lager sales and rising brands not wanting to bracket themselves with Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters and the like. Even those brands are trying to distance themselves from their old image.

Pleased that you're cool with human rights abuse but draw the line at a flutter.

Whatever is legal in the UK is what should apply to football leave it to the club to decide if they think it's ethical or not.

I'll leave you to your peadophile, cartel and hate group fantasies which definitely didn't include your personal prejudices about the people that live in Burnley and Brighton.

Last edited:
If it were only because of Europe then it would only apply to 6 teams in the whole of England and even those teams could have either a separate sponsor or no sponsor in Europe.

More likely the year on year decline of lager sales and rising brands not wanting to bracket themselves with Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters and the like. Even those brands are trying to distance themselves from their old image.

Pleased that you're cool with human rights abuse but draw the line at a flutter.

Whatever is legal in the UK is what should apply to football leave it to the club to decide if they think it's ethical or not.

I'll leave you to your peadophile, cartel and hate group fantasies which definitely didn't include your personal prejudices about the people that live in Burnley and Brighton.

They still pump millions into advertising in football don't they just not on shirts.

Sorry when did I say sportwashing by murderous regimes was cool? And I'm the one that apparently creates other people's points of view for the sake of arguments.

Lots of things are legal but have advertising restrictions. It is legal to buy and sell tobacco but it is not legal to advertise tobacco. Alcohol is legal but there are lots of restrictions on how it can be advertised. Are you advocating lifting the restrictions on tobacco, alcohol, junk food advertising then?

I can see you are struggling with my way of making a point again. It's deliberate exaggeration.

;