Kris Temple Twitter Re January - AFCB

What we know for sure is that the hindsight on here is 20:20 and that whoever he picks will be the wrong decision if we concede any goals.

For the record I'd 100% be going with Travers if my opinion is worth anything.

Was thinking imagine the uproar if he puts Woodman in almost right away and keeps him there most of the season... Parker better get promoted and hope Woodman repays his faith or will be a backlash for sure.

If Parker is intending on integrating Woodman, he better hope Travers makes few howlers in the next few games, to soften any ill feeling. Won't be a popular decision otherwise and many (at least on here) will be watching every move Woodman makes.

Is Woodman an upgrade on Travers ?

Looking at his profile, this is the 7th time he's been loaned out by Newcastle.If he was any good , why can't he keep hold of the No.1 jersey & why does he keep getting loaned out. Looking at his stats he's only ever played 4 league games for Newcastle.

IMHO , I believe he's been brought in as an upgrade to Nyland , as 2nd choice behind Travers rather than 3rd choice at Newcastle.

Is Woodman an upgrade on Travers ?

Looking at his profile, this is the 7th time he's been loaned out by Newcastle.If he was any good , why can't he keep hold of the No.1 jersey & why does he keep getting loaned out. Looking at his stats he's only ever played 4 league games for Newcastle.

IMHO , I believe he's been brought in as an upgrade to Nyland , as 2nd choice behind Travers rather than 3rd choice at Newcastle.

Stats

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/136466/History/Freddie-Woodman

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/362806/History/Mark-Travers

Strengths

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/136466/Show/Freddie-Woodman

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/362806/Show/Mark-Travers

Think sides can telegraph what we are going to do from a goal kick.

We nearly always just get the ball out to a defender and have a slow build up.

What would be good sometimes is a quick long ball down field for our forwards to latch onto and catch the opposition defence out.

Element of surprise than touchy, touchy, slow football that most of us know what’s going to happen.

Maybe with our new signings we may get that, especially from Cantwell if he shows the form we know he can.

Also Phillips is considered to have more “ traditional “ defending attributes, so if he plays he might have more instinct to play longer balls out if necessary, to someone like Cantwell who can then weave his magic …

Also Phillips is considered to have more “ traditional “ defending attributes, so if he plays he might have more instinct to play longer balls out if necessary, to someone like Cantwell who can then weave his magic …

For what its worth he is listed as 'no-nonsense' cb on FM22. Note high bravery, aggression, heading, jumping etc. That said his passing stats are decent for a cb and 'ball playing' defender is his 6th best role and passing ability is still high (its all out of 20)..

Which isn't too suprising as I guess liverpool wouldn't have a totally limited cb in their squad.

Concentration also high, so indicates won;t be prone to silly mistakes, switching off. Compsure also good, so happy with ball at his feet. Looks decent, particularly for this level.

roles.pngphillips stats.png

For what its worth he is listed as 'no-nonsense' cb on FM22. Note high bravery, aggression, heading, jumping etc. That said his passing stats are decent for a cb and 'ball playing' defender is his 6th best role and passing ability is still high (its all out of 20)..

Which isn't too suprising as I guess liverpool wouldn't have a totally limited cb in their squad.

Concentration also high, so indicates won;t be prone to silly mistakes, switching off. Compsure also good, so happy with ball at his feet. Looks decent, particularly for this level.

View attachment 7175View attachment 7174

Goal opportunities from set pieces?

I will always hold my hands up and say I don't know enough about goalkeeping to form a proper informed opinion (and I think the vast majority of supporters are the same whether they admit it or not). I've heard people suggest Travers could improve on commanding his box, positioning and distribution. It's down to Parker and his team to decide but if Woodman is better he should play.

I find it very interesting to see the number of our ex keepers who appear on tv having been taught the game by Mossy...he was fantastic, I wonder where he is now and if he still runs 'Between the Sticks.
UTC

Kind of what I was getting at in another post/thread. Like you say, no room for sentiment. Woodman may have stronger attributes that Parker regards as more important to the team and chances of promotion, or may simply be a better all around keeper. Understandable that many on here want Travers to remain as number 1, particularly as he's seemingly played well and 'one of our own'... but theres always room for improvement.

Could be something thats not obvious to us fans, like communication, presence etc or something like that that puts a little bit of unease into defensive unit at times. Of course I'm speculating, but could be something not overly obvious from our perspective that Parker feels needs to be addressed. His objective is promotion, his job and future career revolves around his teams achievements, so I doubt he's motivated to make unpopular decisions for the sake of it.

Whatever it is it'll have to be exceptional as Travers has conceded the joint fewest goals in the league.

;