Last week of the Transfer Window.

Only two clubs in the whole of Europe have a lower net transfer spend than us over the last couple of seasons I believe ie we have bought in millions more than we have spent. There should sure as hell should be enough to get three more players in, if not serious questions should be asked about the running of the club.
Our income has dropped considerably in last 2 years, including covid related. Clearly our wage bill was unsustainable, hence getting bego,wilson, ake etc off the books
I applaud the club if they're rebalancing the books, by getting rid of high earners and replacing with the likes of Pearson. Not sure what serious question you want to ask? Think touch of reality needed on your side

Only two clubs in the whole of Europe have a lower net transfer spend than us over the last couple of seasons I believe ie we have bought in millions more than we have spent. There should sure as hell should be enough to get three more players in, if not serious questions should be asked about the running of the club.

I can answer those questions in advance of them being asked. The wage bill was around £110m.

I can answer those questions in advance of them being asked. The wage bill was around £110m.
Then the question that needs to be asked is how was the wage bill allowed to get to such an unsustainable level that we literally have to sell every asset we have just to survive? Relegated sides over the last few years bought in nowhere near as much income in transfer fees as us and still seemed to survive.

Our income has dropped considerably in last 2 years, including covid related. Clearly our wage bill was unsustainable, hence getting bego,wilson, ake etc off the books
I applaud the club if they're rebalancing the books, by getting rid of high earners and replacing with the likes of Pearson. Not sure what serious question you want to ask? Think touch of reality needed on your side
If we are going into our second championship season with this as our full squad then questions absolutely have to be asked. If we bring in the three more that we appear to be after then I’d say that we should be satisfied with that.

Then the question that needs to be asked is how was the wage bill allowed to get to such an unsustainable level that we literally have to sell every asset we have just to survive? Relegated sides over the last few years bought in nowhere near as much income in transfer fees as us and still seemed to survive.
Because thats the nature of the Premier League and teams wanting to be part of it.

This can't have come as a surprise surely?

Hardly sold every asset we still have brooks, solanke, billing, Stacey, possibly lerma, seems a calculated strategy to keep certain players.

Yes, I wonder what could be different about finances in football in the season we got relegated. It's a mystery.

Yes, I wonder what could be different about finances in football in the season we got relegated. It's a mystery.
Does that 110m wage estimation take into account relegation wage reduction clauses and the wages we took off the books with sales before last season started.....what was our wage bill at the start of last season?

Does that 110m wage estimation take into account relegation wage reduction clauses and the wages we took off the books with sales before last season started.....what was our wage bill at the start of last season?

No but even accounting for them the loss last season is going to be eye-watering when the accounts come out. Hence the need to show a large profit on transfers.

I think the ever decreasing parachute payments mean that what might have been ok last year wont suffice this season.

The club lost £60 million in the last PL season. That's £60 million when we were getting the PL tv money. A relegation wage reduction isn't going to even cover that, never mind the reduced tv income.

I hope we sign some players this week. We'll likely need them if we're going to make a tilt at promotion. However, it hinges on the largesse of Max.

But we more than
The club lost £60 million in the last PL season. That's £60 million when we were getting the PL tv money. A relegation wage reduction isn't going to even cover that, never mind the reduced tv income.

I hope we sign some players this week. We'll likely need them if we're going to make a tilt at promotion. However, it hinges on the largesse of Max.
But we covered that 60m with player sales.....our wage bill at the start last season was obviously a lot lower than our PL years and we've since reduced that massively with the sales of King Bego and Danjuma....

Don't forget we owed a whole heap of money to other clubs in transfer fees - our transfer debt was £77 million and IIRC a large amount of that was falling due last season. Let's say the £60m covered that leaving us £17 million for this season.

That means our wage bill last season had to be covered by the £42m parachute payment + Championship tv money.

Relegation clauses were rumoured to be 30-40% so let be generous and take the higher of them.

That takes us down to about £65m wage bill. Then start taking out the players that were sold/released (although only 60% of their wages) and you're still going to struggle to get it down to break even.

At the same time don't forget to add in the incomings - Pearson, Wilshere, Carter-Vickers and Riquelme.

Then there are the other costs of running the club. About £8 million a season in that last PL year. Partially offset by some commercial income but you're still looking down the barrel of another loss.

Now move onto this year and we have that £17m transfer debt to find. That's most of the Danjuma £21.5m gone although it does leave some in the kitty.

Then add in the fact the parachute payment drops by £7m to £35m.

Those two combine to leave us £3.5m short. We'll be lucky if the wages of King, Bego and Danjuma fill that hole. And that would only be to match last season's loss.

As I said, there might be money to spend. But it will depend on Max funding it. Despite all the sales, reductions and players released we'll still be losing money.

Plus, there's still the monster debt owed to Max.

I might have mentioned the state of the finances, but even if there is financial headroom why spend it if there isn't anything considered good value to buy.

This 3 more players stuff is absurd. We have added 3 players in the last week, but still some say we need 3 more. Every team can find players to improve but more often than not that's a replacement.

Extra depth comes at a cost not just a financial cost but also squad harmony. We already have as many if not more players able to play now than we did last season. If you want 3 more, spell out who gets dropped from the squad to make way. For example, I would agree a new striker is valid option, but then you have to remove Saydee. Then you have to identify if you are spending for a 1st choice to push Dom to the bench, and then if not, who is going to be willing to join as back up, at a time when they probably need to be playing to advance their careers.

Overall, the players we have brought in all improve the squad, and with Rogers we now have playera able to slot into nearly every position as cover due to the versatility of this squad. Both of the RBs have been out but we are still picking up points. Three of the first choice central midfielders have been unavailable but still we pick up points.

It has to be one out one in from here.

I might have mentioned the state of the finances, but even if there is financial headroom why spend it if there isn't anything considered good value to buy.

This 3 more players stuff is absurd. We have added 3 players in the last week, but still some say we need 3 more. Every team can find players to improve but more often than not that's a replacement.

Extra depth comes at a cost not just a financial cost but also squad harmony. We already have as many if not more players able to play now than we did last season. If you want 3 more, spell out who gets dropped from the squad to make way. For example, I would agree a new striker is valid option, but then you have to remove Saydee. Then you have to identify if you are spending for a 1st choice to push Dom to the bench, and then if not, who is going to be willing to join as back up, at a time when they probably need to be playing to advance their careers.

Overall, the players we have brought in all improve the squad, and with Rogers we now have playera able to slot into nearly every position as cover due to the versatility of this squad. Both of the RBs have been out but we are still picking up points. Three of the first choice central midfielders have been unavailable but still we pick up points.

It has to be one out one in from here.
According to Kris Temple the club are after 2 more, so they would seem to disagree with you.

According to Kris Temple the club are after 2 more, so they would seem to disagree with you.
They are not about to disclose planned outgoings though, so bear that in mind.

I have no problem with 2 or 3 in, just that others have to make way, nobody addresses this when they unrealistically say 2 more please.

I have updated my squad list to compare to last year as below. For me it already shows we have a deeper squad than last year (obviously depends on opinions of every player) and could, depending on your view let a couple go, knowing we can add in Jan to cover the unknowns rather than spread resources thinly now. Therefore, happy if the club can improve the squad and bring 2 or 3 in, just foreseeing that players will either leave or not be needed in the current group, it's not good for the squad to have players with no hope of playing.

latestsquad-1.png

Your chart shows what we all know, more have left than come in.
I would suggest the wages for each of the players who have come in is around half of those whom they have replaced. Plus some transfer income
We definitely need a striker and another utility player who can play across the top 3.
I don’t think players need to leave to facilitate this.

Your chart shows what we all know, more have left than come in.
I would suggest the wages for each of the players who have come in is around half of those whom they have replaced. Plus some transfer income
We definitely need a striker and another utility player who can play across the top 3.
I don’t think players need to leave to facilitate this.
Agree. We’ve already lost numerous players and only have one senior strikers, we have two attacking mids, one of which is Stan who is likely to be injured most of the time. We are one injury away from having to change system/playing someone in an unnatural position and hoping for the best. It’s clearly not enough. The 14/15 promotion team had two competing players for every position.

Agree. We’ve already lost numerous players and only have one senior strikers, we have two attacking mids, one of which is Stan who is likely to be injured most of the time. We are one injury away from having to change system/playing someone in an unnatural position and hoping for the best. It’s clearly not enough. The 14/15 promotion team had two competing players for every position.
Agreed I think we are 2 attacking players short . One is a striker for sure

;