Latest England squad

Didn't happen during your time though Brian did it. You are a modern Brit.
I most certainly am not....my head is in the previous century....and partly in the century before that..by choice....my comfort zone.
That should be evident by my Nelson reference.

And if that is a cue for folk ridiculing me...then so be it...i'll have to live with that.

Last edited:
I guess thats where @New Old Cherry has a point in some ways. 'Must be something in the water...' in that part of the Balkans. Or rather something culturally, that churns out certain characteristics perhaps more so than other countries.... hesitant to suggest the war back in the 90's as can't recall what Yugoslavia were like before that... but iirc they were a strong team throughout many eras.

Must admit I don't know much about Armstrong (or Modric's character/personality)to know how accurate that comparison is. I don;t follow cycling at all, but I randomly read the Tyler Hamilton book which focused on the doping side of cycling and can't recall thinking now how they are comparible. Armstrong seemed like an extremely driven, aggressive, 'alpha' male, at the forefront of new doping 'tech' who wasn't particularly well liked due to his attitude towards others. I don;t get that impression from Modric at all, so assume you mean on scale of what they achieved/delivered at top level? Should say Armstrong achievements with or without doping were incredible though, given his battles with cancer. And lets face it, from the Hamilton book, it seemed blatantly clear everyone (at least anywhere near the top) of the cycling tour is doping.... differences in times recorded over a short period across the field, and with some cyclists in particular when EPO become prevelent is simply astonishing, so theres no doubt they were (are...) all using it.

You don;t suddenly knock off the times they did from one year to the next by improving diet or training methods lol.
Excellent post !

Yeah, can't recall a point from the mid/late nineties where we seemed to have such a luke warm looking defense.

That said, Maguire has always done ok in the end from what I can recall, despite losing his way at club level.
It was that bad even Steve Cook nearly got a call up.

Yeah, can't recall a point from the mid/late nineties where we seemed to have such a luke warm looking defense.

That said, Maguire has always done ok in the end from what I can recall, despite losing his way at club level.
He has on the whole. I don't think he was worth what United paid for him, but think he's been unfairly blamed for a lot of United's problems, which are clearly deeper.

Well the media claim Southgate tried to approach White in May to see if he would be interested in a call up. Given White didn't then make the squad you'd have to assume he made himself unavailable. So doesn't sound like Southgate is the one with the problem.

Indeed.

Especially where it's a position we're so obviously weak in.

He would walk into that 11

Must admit don't know much about him. Is he 'that' good then... not that competition is at an all time high in that position.

What about Tomori at Milan? He's an absolute beast. Strong, fast, decent on the ball.

Surely time for him to be integrated into the starting 11, but I suspect Southgate rates Maguire fir his presence/leadership skills and familiarity.

But he's hardly played at ckub level and seems a more limited player than Tomori (and White, but that situation seems more complex at present).

Somink ain't right in the whole Big Picture with Eng - ger- land...ever E fing is Overstated in the Press and Online and Underwhelming in the Outcomes in the Fields.
We needs to go back to the beginning. ..pumping a pigs bladder across the fields from one village to another...like thems did from Wareham to Corfe a few yesterday's back.....
One of my ancestors 'Jugger Budden' from East Creech played in those affrays...he could turn on a cowpat and affect a 'hedge lob' from a great distance. .'croft turns' were his speciality which involved going wide around a barn leaving scrumpy tanked substitutes caught up in the nettles and brambles left of mid field !
He never got selected for England though....there was a giant from The Fens in the wild north of Cambridge Shire... Mangler Mawkinson, who could do it all better and cover the distance in half the time..plus Jugger had a tendency to pass back too often....:hmmm:

Last edited:
Must admit don't know much about him. Is he 'that' good then... not that competition is at an all time high in that position.

What about Tomori at Milan? He's an absolute beast. Strong, fast, decent on the ball.

Surely time for him to be integrated into the starting 11, but I suspect Southgate rates Maguire fir his presence/leadership skills and familiarity.

But he's hardly played at ckub level and seems a more limited player than Tomori (and White, but that situation seems more complex at present).
Totally agree with Tomori.

Has won Serie A and got to the Champs League semi finals!

Well the media claim Southgate tried to approach White in May to see if he would be interested in a call up. Given White didn't then make the squad you'd have to assume he made himself unavailable. So doesn't sound like Southgate is the one with the problem.

All sorts of speculation going on. Apologies if already mentioned, but one of the thoughts was that White doesn’t really like football. Doesn’t watch it at all, so I don’t think he was keen to do his homework and research that was set which was the reason for the clash with Southgate.

Makes perfect sense, which probably means it’s made up rubbish.

HE was tougher with the players than Southgate.
..demanding of British Spirit....his ancestors won Empire battles....my ancestors....yours too I guess.
FIFA have reevaluated world football after Brian's contribution, and the rankings are now as follows:

1) The Roman Empire (27 BCE – 476 CE) ...
2) The British Empire (1601-1997 CE) ...
3) Ottoman Empire (1300 – 1922 CE)
4) Mongol Empire (1206 – 1368 CE) ...
5) Qing Dynasty (1644–1911 CE)

Obviously the Spanish Empire, Second French colonial empire, Abbasid Caliphate, Umayyad Caliphate, Yuan dynasty and the
Xiongnu Empire would be a danger in the knock out rounds of the World Cup.

Southgatihno as I see it doesn't introduce enough fresh talent...and when we come up against the likes of France, Portugal, Croatia etcetera ...there are No Surprise elements for them to deal with....and they know our tedious, one pace, back passing style...so with patience grind us down.
More like Bellingham is the way he must go....but I think he has his favourite clubs he picks from, and thereby ignoring many gems !

But of course I know not what I am rabbiting and ranting about !

;