Latest England squad

there are plenty of English players playing week in week out in PL and other top leagues so that is just plain crap
Yes there are...but not enough of them and with the talent and power needed ..that is the point !

We can review this 'plain crap' when England next play in the Euro Tournament....and see how things have progressed.
I pray that I'm wrong and it indeed turns out to be plain crap.

Last edited:
there are plenty of English players playing week in week out in PL and other top leagues so that is just plain crap
I certainly think there is more than in previous years - particularly in attack .

The defence looks a bit light hence Maguire being picked but only because a lot are just coming through and not had much experience.

We could do with another Harry Kane in a few years though!

It's not so much about the manager or coaches....it's about having enough 'good enough' players to overcome the threat of France alone..a larger populated nation...who nearly always inhabit the final four in the big tournaments... we just don't produce enough because of the limitations caused by the PL nurturing the non - English !

I thought a team like France would be at the bottom of your list of places to emulate.

87% of their cup-winning side were immigrants or children of immigrants with only 3 players having two French-born parents (2 if you don't count French colonies). They were drawn from around 9% of the overall general French population.

I thought a team like France would be at the bottom of your list of places to emulate.

87% of their cup-winning side were immigrants or children of immigrants with only 3 players having two French-born parents (2 if you don't count French colonies). They were drawn from around 9% of the overall general French population.
Well no..not really.... Different type of country..different Culture and History...as it's not an Island....nothing wrong with Immigration in my book IF it's controlled efficiently...I've got plenty of time and respect for France (maybe not for that nosher Napoleon pulling his Bone Apart back along)
The non - elites among the French population are not a bad bunch..normal working class dudes sharing many of the same social values as us Brits...many of them actually despise the EU.
You see, during my visits there I took the trouble to expand my school knowledge of their language and culture to a workable/ usable degree...and was even a EU / European enthusiast for quite a few years before politicians ballsed it all up !

We've virtually already bloody qualified anyway with 13 points so far...so surely he can use the remaining matches to form up a nearly brand new line up to inject some surprise element for the Finals next year....because I tell you summat...that's the only f√cking way we stand a chance of getting to the Semi's or Final ...theck fookin' deadheads he is using now are too stale and sterile in the main....been lucky it was an easy group to qualify from.
I've scanned a few other Forums....and quite a few bods are saying similar things...so I'm not too phased by any 'talking crap' reactions piling in from the usual frosty correspondents !

We've virtually already bloody qualified anyway with 13 points so far...so surely he can use the remaining matches to form up a nearly brand new line up to inject some surprise element for the Finals next year....because I tell you summat...that's the only f√cking way we stand a chance of getting to the Semi's or Final ...theck fookin' deadheads he is using now are too stale and sterile in the main....been lucky it was an easy group to qualify from.
I've scanned a few other Forums....and quite a few bods are saying similar things...so I'm not too phased by any 'talking crap' reactions piling in from the usual frosty correspondents !

Of course others are slagging the England team off. People have slagged off every England team in it's history. Every manager has been described as clueless. If England are playing you can put your house on a bunch of people that are supposedly England supporters slagging them off.

Of course others are slagging the England team off. People have slagged off every England team in it's history. Every manager has been described as clueless. If England are playing you can put your house on a bunch of people that are supposedly England supporters slagging them off.

Exactly why it's a poison chalice of a job.

Not many top calibre managers in their right mind/prime would take the job. But the upsides are that if you do win something, you'll be a legend forever.

I always say that Players are primarily to blame for results not being what the fan desires...they are the ones on the pitch...in England's case so called International standard players.
The manager only picks them and prepares them in a format to win a game - they need to perform that task...going about it with verve and voracity....for their Nation.
Back in the week to week banality of the PL and other leagues the likes of O'Neil, Iraola and Howe similarly have to prepare their alloted charges .. (often these days procured not by themselves but by some Financial f√cking freak in a suit (and I don't mean one of my famous tracksuits ) ..to do the bizz on the pitch...this time for their club and loyal fans...once again with verve and voracity.
I'm not saying managers should not get any blame but it must be viewed a with a slightly more broad - minded approach...being as there are 11 people on a pitch who can change a game...once the manager has done his pick .
You could say, I suppose, that much of the manager appraisal could be based on his acumen regarding substitutions .
It's still mainly about players application though..at the end of it...End Of maybe..Fullstop maybe.

you just said you hadn't heard of 3 of the players someone named that are in the squad right now...?

I always say that Players are primarily to blame for results not being what the fan desires...they are the ones on the pitch...in England's case so called International standard players.
The manager only picks them and prepares them in a format to win a game - they need to perform that task...going about it with verve and voracity....for their Nation.
Back in the week to week banality of the PL and other leagues the likes of O'Neil, Iraola and Howe similarly have to prepare their alloted charges .. (often these days procured not by themselves but by some Financial f√cking freak in a suit (and I don't mean one of my famous tracksuits ) ..to do the bizz on the pitch...this time for their club and loyal fans...once again with verve and voracity.
I'm not saying managers should not get any blame but it must be viewed a with a slightly more broad - minded approach...being as there are 11 people on a pitch who can change a game...once the manager has done his pick .
You could say, I suppose, that much of the manager appraisal could be based on his acumen regarding substitutions .
It's still mainly about players application though..at the end of it...End Of maybe..Fullstop maybe.

The players certainly do come under scrutiny, no one gets an easy ride when it comes to representing England.

Manager/head coach will always take flack though... ultimately their job is to ensure the team performs and they're paid well to do it. It'd their responsibility and reason they're employed.

If they selected a load of 'bad apples' or plsyers that go missing/can't be bothered when it really counts, or allow cliques to take hold (beyond what is acceptable in any situation where big groups of people mix) that's on the manager for selecting them, or not managing them properly. Which to me is a core part of their job... an extremely well paid job.

That's why I think it's a shane redknapp wasn't given the job around the time of tge spurs era, as i think he has the knack of getting players on side, motivated and hes charasmatic in a way footballers respond well to.

Being a tactical genius is less of a concern as long as you're good enough, which all pl level managers are imo. Harry almost certainly wouldn't deploy a more refrained style, that Southgate prefers against stronger opposition.

But as we know, the FA woukd never appoint him, given his rep and everything that was going on.

Last edited:
What I saw the other night was slow build up and non movement up front.
It looked like they were just going throu the motions as they knew the would qualify anyway.

What I saw the other night was slow build up and non movement up front.
It looked like they were just going throu the motions as they knew the would qualify anyway.

Devil's advocate viewpoint.... Harry Kane is a great striker but he's never going to be part of a really successful team because he's not quick enough. Spurs are better off without him and England would be too.

you just said you hadn't heard of 3 of the players someone named that are in the squad right now...?
Well yeah I said that at some point...but I say so many f√cking things..so what ?
It's probably a good thing I ain't heard of em.. so then any hype won't lead to me being disappointed.
The joy of random comments with no filters and complete disregard of going with the flow !

Managers run out of steam and ideas eventually.
Is Gareth at this point? Can he reinject something into the team? Can he reinvent England?
I hope so because he had to take them over and revitalise the squad (got rid of Rooney) but is Henderson, Maguire and Phillips his achilles heel?
A new manager coming in drops those three from the squad, plays Bellingham and Maddison in their club positions and we might progress again.
But Gareth has credit in the bank to go through to the Euros.

;