Leeds United v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Never Taken A Point Away From Elland Road

Spurs on their previous two visits to Dean Court had only taken away 1 point against the Cherries. On Saturday after AFCB had taken the lead and then getting an early goal in the second half, it looked like the London side were going to be disappointed again. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be and our side conceded three goals, Spurs took the 3 points as Gary O’Neil suffered his third defeat in a row. AFCB have a chance to avoid a fourth consecutive defeat in their next game away at Elland Road in Leeds on Saturday at 3 pm. The Cherries visits to play Leeds United have always ended in defeat.

Last season, Leeds United started with the Argentine Marcelo Bielsa in charge of their team, he had been their manager since June 2018. After a run of four consecutive defeats, the last being at home losing 0-4 against Spurs in the February of that season, Bielsa was sacked and his replacement was the American Jesse Marsch. Marsch started off in charge at Montreal Impact, then had spells at New York Red Bulls, RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig. When Marsch took charge of his first Leeds United game they were in 16th place after 26 games with 23 points, the end of the season they were 17th with 38 points.

In the Summer the Leeds club signed nine players, the most expensive three, winger Luis Sinisterra from Feyenoord for £25.4 million, midfielder Brenden Aaronson from RB Salzburg for £24.7 million and midfielder Tyler Adams from RB Leipzig for £20 million. Two players left Leeds for large fees, Raphina joined Barcelona for £55 million and Kevin Phillips joined Manchester City for £50 million.

Leeds started off the 2022-23 campaign well with two wins and a draw and their £26 million striker Rodrigo (signed 2020) had scored four of them. Two leagues games later at the end of August he suffered a shoulder injury against Everton and was out until the beginning of October. The two home wins were against Wolves 2-1 and Chelsea 3-0. At home they have drawn two, 1-1 with Everton and 0-0 against Aston Villa, also lost 0-1 against Arsenal and 2-3 against another London side Fulham. Away up until last Saturday their results have been poor, drawing in their first away game at Southampton 2-2, then in their next three away games they lost 1-0 at Brighton, 2-1 against Crystal Palace and 2-0 at Leicester. Their most recent game was the game at Anfield where they won 1-2, inflicting Liverpool’s first home defeat in the Premier League since March 2021 when they lost 0-1 against Fulham when Scott Parker was manager.

Our last visit to Elland Road was in January 2015 the season AFCB won the Championship. Going into this game Leeds were two places above the relegation zone having drawn three and lost four of their previous seven games since their last win, the Cherries were top. United took the lead through Luke Murphy in the first half. Late into the game with only a few minutes to go AFCB were awarded a penalty after Callum Wilson was brought down by Giuseppe Bellusci. Up stepped Yann Kermorgant to take the penalty, but he hit the bar and a few minutes later the referee blew the whistle and Leeds had won and completed the double, beating us earlier in the season 1-3 at Dean Court.

In all our away games in the league against the Yorkshire club, the Cherries have never won or drawn. Our team have lost all six games, plus one FA Cup game.
In all our games home and away, AFCB have W 1, D 2, L 10.

Leeds United Team News
Players who have been out injured, Adam Forshaw, Leo Hjelde, Archie Gray, Luis Sinisterra and Stuart Dallas.

Leeds United Player To Watch
Rodrigo before his injury was showing good form and finding the net. Since his return he has scored in his last two appearances, although against Liverpool it was a ‘gift’. At the other end, United goalkeeper Illan Meslier was MOM at Anfield.

AFCB Team News
No new injuries reported, so David Brooks, Lloyd Kelly and Neto will be missing.

AFCB Player To Watch
After his MOM performance against Spurs, will be hoping more from Kieffer Moore provided he is given the service.

The Referee
Tony Harrington is in charge of this game, we had him once last season in our 4-0 home win against Swansea City.

Been to Elland Road four times in the eighties, but only two of those were AFCB. Both defeats, although we nearly pulled back level from 3-0 down on one of those occasions.

I expect its changed since then!

Been to Elland Road four times in the eighties, but only two of those were AFCB. Both defeats, although we nearly pulled back level from 3-0 down on one of those occasions.

I expect its changed since then!

Had to watch from leeds end in that 3-2 game. Was getting more and more difficult not to shout out as we staged a late comeback - awful display before that - and I would not have been able to keep quiet if we had equalised!

Binned the rail part of said journey, long drive back now. Travelling up to the mids Friday, premier inn, two hour drive to Beeston on match day. Can't get in the usual haunt as I have an away ticket:throw: so drysalters it is for a pint of slops.

Binned the rail part of said journey, long drive back now. Travelling up to the mids Friday, premier inn, two hour drive to Beeston on match day. Can't get in the usual haunt as I have an away ticket:throw: so drysalters it is for a pint of slops.
Have a good trip.

Never thought I'd miss Cherwell Services after just a month!

Very optimistic we'll be on the Riverside Rocket, both convinced we're well enough for the early start and long slog there and back. First trip to Leeds, sure they're all lovable Northerners, just like Last of the Summer Wine : )

Enjoy, I worked in Beeston up til the summer. Work used to put on a spread at the Drysalters on the last day before Christmas. An honest pub if in an awkward location!

First visit for me also, 3 of us heading south from Glasgow, if we can play for the entire game just like we did for the first 50 minutes on Saturday, then we should fair well. (He says optimistically) Anyway, looking forward to it whatever the outcome UTCIAD

What are the pub options for away fans?

;