Leicester match report

Cherries King Powerless against Vardy amid VAR controversy

I think the day was cursed to begin with. We should have known the day wasn't going our way when one of coaches clonked a tree in Kings Park on the way in, damaging a wing mirror, and required a replacement bus be sent from Weymouth!

Team news filtered through just outside Leicester. On paper it seemed a back 3 of Mepham, Cook and Ake, with Fraser and Smith as wing backs. This was certainly one of the options bandied around, and one I liked the look of. The front 3 of Fraser, Wilson and King hadn't quite got firing yet this season, but perhaps this was the day?

Then to throw us a curveball, the team came out for kick-off and seemed to line-up more in a 4-4-2 with Ake at left back.

The game started fairly brightly for the Cherries, who enjoyed a bit of possession in the Leicester half without really causing problems, but easing our way into the game. To me the formation was interesting if a bit confused, it seemed to fluidly move between a back 4 and a back 3, depending on whether we had possession or not. A back 4 with Ake and Smith pushing forwards when we had possession, then a back 5 with Ake tucking inside allowing Fraser to cover the left flank when Leicester were coming at us.

This kind of tactical fluidity is great when it works, and there's logic to it in helping us cover slightly vulnerable full back areas. And all of Howe's best football down the years has been played in tactically fluid shapes. I can definitely see what Eddie was going for. However… it does require the players to be confident and well understanding of everyone else's movements for it to work.

Just as we were easing into the game, Leicester ruthlessly opened the first chink in our shape just 12 minutes in. Ake and Smith were well advanced up the pitch, leaving just Mepham and Cook guarding the back door, when a Cherries attack broke down. Foxes' left back Ben Chillwell instantly knew what to do, playing a perfect long ball over midfield, dropping it over the shoulder of Mepham and Cook. Vardy timed his run to perfection, no hint of offside (I was right in line!) as he left the two sluggish Cherries centre backs for dead. There was nothing Ramsdale could do as Vardy took his goal so well, lifting it over the onrushing keeper and into the net from outside the box. A simple goal, just superbly and clinically executed. It showed up our system and defensive pairing for its flaws early on.

Bournemouth restarted the game with intent and replied instantly. As Ake and Fraser linked up, Fraser advanced into the final third and slipped Callum Wilson through into the left of the box. Still with a lot of work to do, the Goal Machine produced a nice finish to whip the ball around Schmeichel at his near post, the ball kissing the far post as it went in. Cue relief in the away end, back on level terms, we could settle into the game again! The home end was quietened down, and we’d seen Wee Man and Callum link up again. This had to bode well?

Cherries were looking lively in attack as a series of fouls from Leicester defenders on the edge of the box (right in H.Wilson range) went ignored by referee Bankes. One poor tackle on a Billing burst forward was particularly inexplicable as to why it was missed. Another on H.Wilson was continued with an advantage, the ball falling for Fraser in a rather useless position with little advantage, yet the ref didn't pull play back. Controversy surrounding the officiating was only just beginning.

Lerma was given a very soft yellow card that nullified him for the rest of the game. Having allowed equal if not more forceful poor challenges to go totally unpunished, Lerma was understandably upset with Mr Bankes. Billing was given a more justified yellow, also taking the edge off his game. You had to wonder whether both would make it through the game having gotten booked this early on.

In attack Leicester looked dangerous, their balls out to the flanks always pin-point accurate, their crosses into the box always of good quality. Maddison was at the heart of everything they did well, and we never really got to grips with him. Playing in the acres of space between Lerma/Billing and Cook/Mepham, he made everything look easy as he linked up the play. The ball would be played fairly long into Vardy who would knock it back to Maddison, and then he'd create an opening like clockwork.

A few nervy moments passed as Ramsdale smacked a clearance straight at the on-rushing Vardy, thankfully it all happened too quickly for the Foxes frontman to do anything with it. Then a lovely through ball looked to have sent Vardy on goal, but Cook produced a magnificently timed challenge to prevent a near certain goal.

Unfortunately the pressure told just before halftime, as Cherries central defensive duo was again caught out, and Cook's earlier work was tarred with an error. Vardy in down our left channel where as ever there was too much space, Ake being caught out and nowhere near to help. Cook looked to have the situation under control, closing Vardy down and blocking the low cross. Cook thought it was out for a corner and stopped for just a split-second. The ball was still in play, Vardy knew it and took a second attempt at his drilled cross. With Cook asleep it fired across goal, where Tielemans had also reacted quicker to the ball staying in play, had stolen half a yard on Mepham, and was there to stretch out a toe-punt on the ball. Tielemans' toe-punt bobbling in off the post in slow-motion.

The Half-time assessment was that we were in the game, looked ok in places, but needed to sharpen up at the back. Always difficult when chasing the game.

The next moment of controversy arrived early second half, as a clash between Tielemans and C.Wilson saw the Cherries frontman go down in pain. For moment my heart was in my mouth as I feared something serious in the knee or ankle. From my view I didn't think there was any malice to the challenge, and it didn't even occur to me that a straight red card could be possible. Although why it wasn't even given as a foul, with probably a yellow card, I couldn't fathom. To be honest my main concern was just that Wilson got up ok and hadn't done any damage.

The VAR review came and went, it wasn't until a few minutes later, as various text messages and social media posts filtered around the away end (as these things do in this day and age) that we got to appreciate how nasty the clash was. "BBC and Sky reckon it was a straight red" I heard people say, "look at this twitter clip, it's horrible". It wasn't until I was on the way back that I got to see a replay, but my word, how wasn't it given a red card by the review?

From this moment on Leicester took control of the game and Bournemouth never got going again. It would be wrong to blame the defeat on that poor decision, there are far more productive issues to discuss, but there's no doubt it had an impact.

Another factor in our declining influence on the game was the substitutions. Smith was forced to make way for Ibe at right back / wing back after sustaining a knock. H.Wilson went off for Dom Solanke. Smith was injured and H.Wilson had been quiet so they were both understandable, but unfortunately we only got worse as the game continued.

The shape had gone totally now as Solanke, C.Wilson, King, Fraser and Ibe had no idea where they should all be playing. It was another one of Eddie's "throw lots of attackers on" gambles that we've seen on occasion over the last year. Leicester for their part had an easy job of sitting tight in a well organised shape, waiting for our jumble of confused attacking players to give the ball away. Leicester's counter attacking was excellent, and they could go from the edge of their own box to the edge of ours in seconds. This is hardly new of course, they won the title doing this stuff. We made it easy for them, but they are very good at it.

The game was over as a contest with 20 minutes remaining in a moment Mepham will wish to forget. Frustratingly he'd done the hard bit, under pressure he'd made a lovely well-timed challenge in our box. As he looked up to find a counter-attacking pass, he was hemmed in several blue shirts. Instead of just clearing, he tried to thread the eye of the needle and just ricocheted the ball off a nearby blue shirt on the edge of the box. It happened to be Tielemans who perhaps shouldn't have even been on the pitch. I'm not sure how much Tielemans knew about it but he diverted the ball to Vardy, who instinctively prodded the ball past Ramsdale into the far corner. It went from Mepham's good challenge giving him the ball at feet, to a goal, in about 3 seconds.

There isn't much to write about the closing 20 minutes, an effort from range by Solanke aside we created nothing. If anyone came close to scoring it was our hosts, via counter attacks. That man Demarai Gray spurned a particularly good chance as Ramsdale saved. Surman came on for King at one point, perhaps to free up a bit of space for the other attackers we had on, but he didn't get much foot on the ball. The game was gone.
(character limit)

Last edited:
Brendan Rodgers said after the game that his side were worthy winners and he's quite correct. But while Leicester's all round play was superior and their win justified, all 3 goals were silly and preventable, and will have the Cherries coaching staff tearing their hair out when they break down the footage.

Without wishing to single him out, I felt for Ibe, but he was achingly poor. It didn't help that he replaced Smith, who was one of our better performers. Unfortunately playing down the flank nearest the away fans, he will have heard the sounds of dismay at each poor pass and easily disposed flick. He was a fish out of water in that position and in that situation up against a good side with a healthy lead. He didn't know when to get forward, when to get back, or where to find any Cherries colleagues. I can't help think whatever tiny level of confidence he had left, will have now been totally sapped having heard the stick he was getting. Whilst it was partly justified perhaps, he was on a hiding to nothing being put in that situation by Eddie. I give Jordon credit for coming over and clapping the away end that had just spent 30 minutes moaning at him, it would have been easy for him to disappear down the tunnel, but he's a bigger man than that.

I think it'll be back to basics for Eddie after the international break. Hopefully the time off will allow some injuries to resolve themselves. Hope Smith is ok because another full back issue is the last thing we need. I’d guess Eddie will return to a more normal 4-4-2 next time out with Ake and Cook in their normal partnership, although who the full backs will be we'll have to see. I might bring my boots, having played schoolboy football at right back a bit in the late 90s. I'd probably make a better fist of it than poor Jordon..(sorry!)

Plenty for Eddie to ponder.

Last edited:
Brendan Rodgers said after the game that his side were worthy winners and he's quite correct. But while Leicester's all round play was superior and their win justified, all 3 goals were silly and preventable, and will have the Cherries coaching staff tearing their hair out when they break down the footage.

Without wishing to single him out, I felt for Ibe, but he was achingly poor. It didn't help that he replaced Smith, who was one of our better performers. Unfortunately playing down the flank nearest the away fans, he will have heard the sounds of dismay at each poor pass and easily disposed flick. He was a fish out of water in that position and in that situation up against a good side with a healthy lead. He didn't know when to get forward, when to get back, or where to find any Cherries colleagues. I can't help think whatever tiny level of confidence he had left, will have now been totally sapped having heard the stick he was getting. Whilst it was partly justified perhaps, he was on a hiding to nothing being put in that situation by Eddie. I give Jordon credit for coming over and clapping the away end that had just spent 30 minutes moaning at him, it would have been easy for him to disappear down the tunnel, but he's a bigger man than that.

I think it'll be back to basics for Eddie after the international break. Hopefully the time off will allow some injuries to resolve themselves. Hope Smith is ok because another full back issue is the last thing we need. I’d guess Eddie will return to a more normal 4-4-2 next time out with Ake and Cook in their normal partnership, although who the full backs will be we'll have to see. I might bring my boots, having played schoolboy football at right back a bit in the late 90s. I'd probably make a better fist of it than poor Jordon..(sorry!)

Plenty for Eddie to ponder.

Thanks for the report.

Just a small point, and I might be wrong, but I thought Billing was booked BEFORE Lerma.

:utc:

Good report NSM.

Could you post the marks for the players please?
Ooof, I don't think it'll be pretty..

Ramsdale 6 - not at fault for goals, made some saves, a couple of shaky moments though

Smith 7 - our brightest going forward, our MOM for an hour until injury
Mepham 5 - directly at fault for goals
Cook 5 - directly at fault for goals
Ake 5 - better going forward than he was defensively, oddly

H.Wilson 5 - anonymous without many set pieces to take, needs to contribute more in open play
Billing 6 - put himself about but blunted by early yellow and left big gaps back to the defence
Lerma 6 - as above, also risked a couple of second yellow moments
Fraser 6 - a small bump up for the assist, but did little otherwise

King 5 - really struggling for form
Wilson 6 - a small bump up for hitting the net

Ibe, Solanke and Surman had zero positive influence on the game.

Ramsdale 5 - Thought he was at fault for the first goal, and looked very shaky on the ball. Counted at least 3 times where Vardy almost nicked the ball off him.

Smith 6 - Good going forward and reasonably solid at the back, a step up from recent games. We became much worse when he went off.

Mepham 5 - Mistakes that lead to two goals, but some decent play apart from this. Uncertain partnership with Cook.

Cook 4 - Mistakes that led to two goals. Very slow and lethargic performance, doesn't look fit and looks considerably worse alongside Mepham instead of Ake. Probably needs a rest to get over his long-running groin issue.

Ake 5 - Not a left back; performed admirably but too slow and positioning was a bit wonky. Decent offensive contributions.

H. Wilson 4 - Did nothing of note whatsoever. May seem harsh but if your creative players aren't creating then they may as well not be there. Not indicative of his quality as a player, just one of many who was a bit flat.

Lerma 7 (MOM) - Typically classy performance for most of the game. Good range of passing and tackling, bull**** booking took some of the bite out of his game.

Billing 5 - A few good moments, but a very erratic performance. Didn't protect the defence well enough and always a decent bet for a sending off. Is 3 in the middle still needed?

Fraser 5 - Other than the assist, a ponderous display. Incapable of taking his man on and seems to have forgotten how quick he is. No tracking back either, left Ake on his own in an unfamiliar role.

King 5 - Nothing's coming off for him atm, lack of quality with the final ball and didn't trouble the defence whatsoever. A few decent runs from deep.

Wilson 6 - Well taken goal, but a similar story to King. Far too static, doesn't create many chances for himself. A refresh is needed to get the best out of him.

Ibe 4 - Very poor cameo. Confidence is shot, he gave the ball away too much and his dribbles never come off. Showed a willingness to track back at least.

Solanke 5 - Added some endeavor, but just doesn't trouble the defence enough. Did a decent shot(!).

Surman N/A - Nothing to say. Flavourless performance and an admission of defeat from EH in the last 15. Unfortunately we had no one else to come on in midfield or attack. Where's Kilkenny??

A few comments on and takeaways from the game:
- First half was not a bad performance by any means, away against a very good team at full strength. Unlucky to be behind in the first 45 and we looked reasonably dangerous on the break.

- I thought Leicester in the first half were very lackadaisical at the back, losing the ball cheaply quite a few times, and the Bournemouth of this time last season would have put them to the sword. At the moment our attackers look they've never played together, barring the goal which was a great bit of play.

- First time this season that our defence as a unit has looked bad, which is down to several factors:
  • Moving our best CB to a position he is not comfortable playing.
  • Disrupting our best CB pairing of Cook and Ake.
  • Cook looking fairly unfit (ongoing groin injury well documented)
  • Unfamiliar partnership of Mepham/Cook often caught out by simple plays.
  • A fairly nervy performance by Ramsdale.
- VAR is an absolute shambles, and seems to exist only to disallow goals rather than to rectify refereeing errors. I've always felt that it would lead to more uncertain performances from the referees (as they can simply "rely" on the cameras), and it showed. A red card given is a completely different game and probably at least a draw. The referee in general was awful as well, which didn't help.

- Every team does it, but the "defensive dives" from Leicester really pissed me off throughout. Not a knock against them, as like I said everyone does it, but I was hoping VAR would cut down on these this season.

- Second half performance was pretty terrible, and is the worst we've looked this season by far. Our lack of options from the bench from injuries is starting to show; if we don't get it right in the first half, we are unlikely to be able to turn it around. Bringing on Surman in the last 15 is indicative of this. Surely Kilkenny is worth a token spot on the bench, as a bit of a wildcard?

- I'm not entirely convinced by the duo of Lerma and Billing; while they've both been largely excellent this season, it's a very defensive partnership, and we are desperately missing a third body to come inside and add a Brooksish spark to our attacks. There is a distinct gap between attack and midfield atm (especially with 3 at the back), which the likes of H. Wilson and Fraser should be plugging, but aren't. This isn't a criticism of Lerma and Billing as they haven't really put a foot wrong, more of the players around them tbh. This should hopefully improve once Cook returns, which should give us more tactical options.

- Ramsdale has been solid so far, hasn't lost us points but hasn't really gained us any points either. With Travers performance vs Forest Green, the competition for the No1 shirt could start hotting up fairly soon. We've seen from his time at Wimbledon that Ramsdale can save games on his own, and he's still adapting to this league. Hopefully he stays in for now and gets to show us how good he really is.

- I don't want to see Ake play left back ever again. We have Stacey and Rico sat on their bench twiddling their thumbs, while our best ever player is being tormented by Marc fucking Albrighton. With Smith potentially out now as well, it's time to give Rico a run of games to prove himself, and see if Stacey is up to the Premier League. I have high hopes for both. If we end up seeing a back 3 after the break with Fraser and Ibe as the wingbacks, I'm going to be so disappointed. Back 3 isn't working this season; stick to a back 4 and trust your fullbacks Eddie!

- All of our forwards seem to have lost the clinical edge of last season, and are not linking up well at all so far this season. This is exemplified by the 25+ shots versus Forest Green which resulted in a 0-0- and that was with us actually creating chances. If we're not creating any chances, then what hope do we have of outscoring the opposition, when our strikers are incapable of creating concrete chances for themselves?

- This game was a bit of a write-off in hindsight, as I believe the situation with our injuries at that time was looking particularly grave. Our only options off of the bench were Ibe and Solanke. Within the context of the game I thought we could have done a lot better, especially based on the first half, but there's really no shame in losing away to a good side like Leicester when almost a third of our squad is MIA.

- International break couldn't have come at a better time. Hopefully we'll be seeing the returns of Lewis Cook, Stanislas, Danjuma, Kelly and a fully refreshed Steve Cook. Adding the first 3 alone back into the 18 will give me so much more confidence for future games and our ability to turn games around.

Thanks for the report. Seems pretty fair to me as do your points per player. I'd agree that Ake at LB is bad all round. Firstly, he might've given Vardy a better run for his money for the first goal. Secondly, he's a much better CB than LB and so it weakens two positions. And thirdly, it must've shattered Rico's confidence and I would not be surprised to see him go before the end of today. This isn't the first time EH has effectively told him- anyone but you. Either give him a run of games or at the very least let him go out on loan, because keeping him as a bench warmer "just in case" seems pointless as if he ever did get on he's unlikely to be any good.

Great analysis, pretty much sums up how I feel after that game. Not too gloomy here, we were still in the game at 2-1 and a draw away to Leicester would have been a decent result.

Eddie's reluctance to give Kilkenny a cameo after all he showed preseason is truly baffling to me. Why on earth would he prefer Ibe over Kilkenny as a bench option ? The guy is gagging to prove his worth and when we are losing the game anyway, surely the pressure is off the guy and he can play without fear of cocking up. I cannot imagine for the life of me that he would have managed to contribute less than Ibe did when he came on. Give the lad a chance Eddie !!!

Ramsdale 5 - Thought he was at fault for the first goal, and looked very shaky on the ball. Counted at least 3 times where Vardy almost nicked the ball off him.
confidence for future games and our ability to turn games around.

Thanks, fully agree with all of that.

Thank you for the Report. As always they are appreciated as are the comments of others. I am getting used to poor second half performances at Leicester but even so I found Cookie's post match comments a tad worrying. Just whose 'mindsets' need looking at? I do hope this was just a one-off or at least the annual Leicester ****show.

Football's a funny old game isn't? (and we all have our opinions.)

I completely disagree about it being Ramsdale's fault for the first goal. As I have said elsewhere before, he was on the edge of his box, where you would expect a sweeper keeper to be and was completely sold down the river by Mepham (and possibly Cook, although I'm not convinced about that) to let Vardy in.

Reactions: OBX
Football's a funny old game isn't? (and we all have our opinions.)

I completely disagree about it being Ramsdale's fault for the first goal. As I have said elsewhere before, he was on the edge of his box, where you would expect a sweeper keeper to be and was completely sold down the river by Mepham (and possibly Cook, although I'm not convinced about that) to let Vardy in.

Spot on.

Assuming the plan was to hold a high line then you need your keeper to sweep up the long balls. The reason I put the blame on Mepham and Cook was the pass wasn’t even that deep. It was in the area of the pitch the CB’s should deal with.

Put it another way. If Ramsdale is on his line, Vardy goes 1 on 1 and it’s a much easier finish for him!

;