Lerma plays.....

We do well. Opposite applies. Discuss
While I tend to agree that, in general, if you play your best players in their preferred positions you will do better, It's hard to imagine how Lerma playing on Tuesday would have helped our woeful finishing.

Lerma always gets the crowd going as well. We can't help but love him, and because he generates a bit of a siege mentality which is much missed lately for me. So I would like to see him start, and semi - smash someone in minute 1 (hopefully legally!) and get the crowd cheering.

Last edited:
A fully focused Lerma is an asset to the team…but he needs to cure his rash challenges and understand that his reputation goes against him with rather appalling referees we get week
in and week out…he will get carded more by these incompetent officials and never get the benefit of the doubt…he gets in my team everytime thought because he has quality…I would pick him in a 3-5-2 formation alongside Cook and Cantwell in midfield..with Christie and Davis as wingbacks and Solanke and Dembele up top.
Kelly Phillips & Mepham as three defenders
I think that Stacey and Zemura should be dropped and with Billing suspended this should work after the Derby game when Cook can fill Lerma’s role?

No real logic to my observation but it seems to be a truth. As a defensive midfielder he is less likely to provide the flair and invention we so badly want to see. However his presence does coincide with our better results. He's our best competitive player and never seems to drop in intensity unlike Billing for example. He's never anonymous on the pitch. I think that mentality might then rub off on others. I'm clutching at straws but I think he's our talisman. Go Jeff!

Wasn’t there a spell when someone or other played Lerma in a more advanced position (a number 8 if you like) with some success. I vaguely remember that but am blowed if I can recall the details. Or am I hallucinating?

Wasn’t there a spell when someone or other played Lerma in a more advanced position (a number 8 if you like) with some success. I vaguely remember that but am blowed if I can recall the details. Or am I hallucinating?
JT did and encouraged him to shoot and he got a few goals and did alright. He is better in front of a back four though. Problem is so is Cook. Our problem is Parker tries to shoehorn them both in the side when fit making one of them play in a position that doesn’t suit.

No real logic to my observation but it seems to be a truth. As a defensive midfielder he is less likely to provide the flair and invention we so badly want to see. However his presence does coincide with our better results. He's our best competitive player and never seems to drop in intensity unlike Billing for example. He's never anonymous on the pitch. I think that mentality might then rub off on others. I'm clutching at straws but I think he's our talisman. Go Jeff!

Yeah. I think that it's a matter of overall balance too. Nothing wrong with having a highly effective, but more limited 'destroyer' in his position, provided we have flair/creative players around him.

Guess it depends on how much Parker sees the dmc role as being a playmaker, rather than primary focus on breaking up play, harrying the opposition.

Regardless, I think he's Parkers 1st choice in that position, so expect to see him start today, probably with Cook being pushed forwards in billings absence.

JT did and encouraged him to shoot and he got a few goals and did alright. He is better in front of a back four though. Problem is so is Cook. Our problem is Parker tries to shoehorn them both in the side when fit making one of them play in a position that doesn’t suit.
This could quite easily be solved if we just played both deeper with a number ten in front of them, ironically Billing has put in his best performances for us as a ten and Marcondes himself says that it’s his best position. Unfortunately though Parker has his system and he will not deviate from it at all regardless of personnel. This is his biggest flaw and what is holding us back. Good coaches achieve the healthy balance between confidence in their own methods, and utilising the personnel available to them optimally. Parker is just all about the first point and nothing about the second.

This could quite easily be solved if we just played both deeper with a number ten in front of them, ironically Billing has put in his best performances for us as a ten and Marcondes himself says that it’s his best position. Unfortunately though Parker has his system and he will not deviate from it at all regardless of personnel. This is his biggest flaw and what is holding us back. Good coaches achieve the healthy balance between confidence in their own methods, and utilising the personnel available to them optimally. Parker is just all about the first point and nothing about the second.
It’s also Cantwells favourite position. I agree… have two pivots and let the full backs push on.

;