Lewis Cook

LOL Firstly using stats. Then you list his as 7th behind the subs as well. Marcondes, according to you, was one of the 6 players better than Lewis today. If you needed proof thats utter b0ll0cks...

I said according to Whoscored. It’s not my opinion. My opinion is that he played okay and didn’t really stand out. I do find your rabid desire to defend a player that I didn’t even criticise quite strange though.

Marcondes also got an assist and helped us win the game tbf, so I’m not sure why one player gets showered with praise and another shat on for no real reason.

uTteR B0lLocKssS

I didn't see the game so can't comment directly on his performance but if as others say he is getting back to his best then I for one am delighted.

LOL Firstly using stats. Then you list his as 7th behind the subs as well. Marcondes, according to you, was one of the 6 players better than Lewis today. If you needed proof thats utter b0ll0cks...

Marcondes came on in the 71st minute so it's not a fair comparison.

I said according to Whoscored. It’s not my opinion. My opinion is that he played okay and didn’t really stand out. I do find your rabid desire to defend a player that I didn’t even criticise quite strange though.

Marcondes also got an assist and helped us win the game tbf, so I’m not sure why one player gets showered with praise and another shat on for no real reason.

uTteR B0lLocKssS

So Marcondes comes on and does that but you ignore the hard work and platform that Lewis provided to enable the winner.

Maybe we should play 11 strikers.

I get annoyed because so many people criticise the likes of Lewis and Surman back in the day because they simply don't see what they do to support the team. Lewis wasn't on the pitch to play in goal or take the penalties. Although it might have been better if he had done the latter.

So Marcondes comes on and does that but you ignore the hard work and platform that Lewis provided to enable the winner.

Maybe we should play 11 strikers.

I get annoyed because so many people criticise the likes of Lewis and Surman back in the day because they simply don't see what they do to support the team. Lewis wasn't on the pitch to play in goal or take the penalties. Although it might have been better if he had done the latter.

I’m not ignoring the “hard work” Cook put in, I’m just a little ambivalent to it. I don’t think he played that well; he was fine. He made some tackles and interceptions and recycled the ball; I don’t think he was a patch on any of the performances Surman put in for us when we were in the Championship. Lewis Cook has had a lot of awful injuries and he very obviously has suffered for it.

You can go back years and find posts from me clamouring for Cook in a quarterback role. I’ve always been a big fan of his. Please do not lump me in with those that don’t understand the positive qualities of a mobile, tidy, defensive minded midfielder. Surman was my favourite player. I’d have Cook above everyone else when he’s back to his best, but frankly I don’t think he’s been very good this season. I would have Kilkenny ahead of him on form personally.

I understand your frustration at other fans failing to comprehend a players role in the team; it’s how I feel about Billing. He is grossly underrated. He can have occasional bad games, but he’s probably our best player technically and our most important player (or is it Travers). When he plays well, which is more often than people think, we win.

Regarding Marcondes, you’re the one that brought him up and decided to scoff at him. I think he came on and helped change the game entirely. In his role, I think he played better in 20 minutes than Cook did in his. Sorry if this offends you. You speak of the hard work and platform that Cook provided to enable the winner? Yeah, maybe. Or, for 45 minutes, he was a key cog in one of our most flat displays of the season. Both are opinions that can’t really be proven to be true.

You obviously have very strong opinions on Cook. I don’t dislike him; I’ve been a strong proponent of his for years. Please don’t assume any criticism I direct his way to be some kind of blinkered, dim witted hatred.

I’m not ignoring the “hard work” Cook put in, I’m just a little ambivalent to it. I don’t think he played that well; he was fine. He made some tackles and interceptions and recycled the ball; I don’t think he was a patch on any of the performances Surman put in for us when we were in the Championship. Lewis Cook has had a lot of awful injuries and he very obviously has suffered for it.

You can go back years and find posts from me clamouring for Cook in a quarterback role. I’ve always been a big fan of his. Please do not lump me in with those that don’t understand the positive qualities of a mobile, tidy, defensive minded midfielder. Surman was my favourite player. I’d have Cook above everyone else when he’s back to his best, but frankly I don’t think he’s been very good this season. I would have Kilkenny ahead of him on form personally.

I understand your frustration at other fans failing to comprehend a players role in the team; it’s how I feel about Billing. He is grossly underrated. He can have occasional bad games, but he’s probably our best player technically and our most important player (or is it Travers). When he plays well, which is more often than people think, we win.

Regarding Marcondes, you’re the one that brought him up and decided to scoff at him. I think he came on and helped change the game entirely. In his role, I think he played better in 20 minutes than Cook did in his. Sorry if this offends you. You speak of the hard work and platform that Cook provided to enable the winner? Yeah, maybe. Or, for 45 minutes, he was a key cog in one of our most flat displays of the season. Both are opinions that can’t really be proven to be true.

You obviously have very strong opinions on Cook. I don’t dislike him; I’ve been a strong proponent of his for years. Please don’t assume any criticism I direct his way to be some kind of blinkered, dim witted hatred.

I guess Surman, Marcondes and Cook are different players. Cook is a hard-tackling defensive midfielder, playing in a deeper role alone. Surman more of a passing deeper midfielder who played alongside another deeper midfielder: Arter/Gosling. Marcondes is an attacking midfielder. It's therefore hard to define which is best. Easier to say which formation is better for us and which players fit best into that formation.

The midfield, including Cook, was largely absent or ineffective for most of the game. The win was brilliant and the last 10/15 minutes showed real spirit. But for most of the game no one shone. Cook was average at best for most of the game as was Billing. He looked better once we started playing on the front foot rather than the back, as did the whole team. Cook has had some brilliant games in the past (when he never gave the ball away, remember?) maybe we were more adventurous then? I’d say the last 15 minutes he looked back to his previous best. But I’d stress, again, that this was a team out of sorts and not just him.

Cantwell was the only player in the middle who actively sought out the ball, for most of the game.

Edited to add. This is about SP getting the best combination of players on the pitch. Some players work well together, others get in each other’s way. There have been times when it seems players are in the same place.

You bring Kilkenny up and say you would have played him ahead of Cook. Kilkenny was at fault for the goal in the cup, his passes were wayward and his control of the deep midfield has not been up to it recently when hes had the chance.

Its easy to dismiss a tackle on the edge of the box, clearing up danger and making things look easy. I think you do a disservice to Cook to suggest he didnt play well until late or that Marcondes played better in the time he was on the pitch. Its all about opinions, we see what we see.

I think that alongside Travers, Lewis was the reason we were still in a position to win in the 95th minute. Some of his work in the box to then bring the ball out and set up attacks while surrounded by tangerine shirts was prime Cook.

Edited to add. This is about SP getting the best combination of players on the pitch. Some players work well together, others get in each other’s way. There have been times when it seems players are in the same place.
Bit harsh to blame Scotty for that when he has obviously been on here and acted on the advice given by many to play two No. 8s even though it stands to reason that if you play two players in the same position they will end up standing on each other's toes;)

You bring Kilkenny up and say you would have played him ahead of Cook. Kilkenny was at fault for the goal in the cup, his passes were wayward and his control of the deep midfield has not been up to it recently when hes had the chance.

Its easy to dismiss a tackle on the edge of the box, clearing up danger and making things look easy. I think you do a disservice to Cook to suggest he didnt play well until late or that Marcondes played better in the time he was on the pitch. Its all about opinions, we see what we see.

I think that alongside Travers, Lewis was the reason we were still in a position to win in the 95th minute. Some of his work in the box to then bring the ball out and set up attacks while surrounded by tangerine shirts was prime Cook.

I head to brunch and Kilkenny walks in and sits next to us :bag:

It was better from Cook, best we've seen in a while, probably in part because he was in a more natural position. Not sure I'd go over the top in the praise, but I was pleased he held his own. There were issues yesterday but they were elsewhere in the side.

Think I said on here last week that with Lerma out I'd tend to pick Pearson away (slightly more destructive) and Cook or Killkenny at home (slightly more creative).

Well what interested me about yesterday was that Lewis looked more capable in that combative capacity than he has done in a while, having looked lately rather shy of getting up and down and getting stuck in. A bit of confidence maybe?

I would keep Lewis in there for Forest with the other two on the bench in case of need. Try and keep some continuity and momentum going.

The midfield, including Cook, was largely absent or ineffective for most of the game. The win was brilliant and the last 10/15 minutes showed real spirit. But for most of the game no one shone. Cook was average at best for most of the game as was Billing. He looked better once we started playing on the front foot rather than the back, as did the whole team. Cook has had some brilliant games in the past (when he never gave the ball away, remember?) maybe we were more adventurous then? I’d say the last 15 minutes he looked back to his previous best. But I’d stress, again, that this was a team out of sorts and not just him.

Cantwell was the only player in the middle who actively sought out the ball, for most of the game.

Do you think Pearlo should be given a go?

;