Lewis Cook

Might bode well for Cook that Southgate seems to have settled on this 3-4-3 system, similar to how we've played a fair bit this season since Xmas. If hes looking for midfielders doing well in that shape for club, Cook is up there.

GARYafCb - 27/3/2018 22:15

Lewis Cook
He’s gonna captain England

That should give the song a couple more years.
It fits well but he's already captained England.

maybe
Lewis Cook
Our 1st to play for England

DJ - 27/3/2018 22:00

AlGard - 27/3/2018 21:49

Please don't anyone say the VAR was wrong for the penalty.

Arguably it is. It's suppose to be used for "obvious" stuff and using a freeze frame to show that one player accidentally placed his foot on top of another players foot whilst sprinting isn't obvious.

It also took over a minute and a half to go from "corner" to "penalty" and that's not even including all the delays and scuffles post penalty award (you know the stuff that won't happen when VAR is introduced because there will be no arguments).

It's a mess.

clear and obvious ? Player had lost control of the ball and was going down before his foot was caught.

DJ - 27/3/2018 22:14

Neil Dawson - 27/3/2018 22:12

How did he look?

He didn't touch the ball for ten minutes. Played the left hand side of a midfield three, so did lots of tracking back and covering the left wing back and making runs down the channels.

He was ignored a couple of times when he was in a good position in space.

Would agree with this, but he did cover angles and offer options really well, but those are the sort of things that often go unnoticed

Went to the game tonight - gambled that Lewis might be in the squad given the late call up for the England squad vs Brazil and his form. Thought he did well given play was a bit disjointed will all the subs and was unlucky his cross didn’t get to Rashford. Maybe the Euros is a more likely tournament given a lack of game time.

Was at the far end of the stadium to the penalty incident. I thought it looked a pen but we had got away with it until the VAR decision. Similarly Ashley young tackle first half late looked very high but got away with that.

AFCBade - 27/3/2018 23:35

Went to the game tonight - gambled that Lewis might be in the squad given the late call up for the England squad vs Brazil and his form. Thought he did well given play was a bit disjointed will all the subs and was unlucky his cross didn’t get to Rashford. Maybe the Euros is a more likely tournament given a lack of game time.

Was at the far end of the stadium to the penalty incident. I thought it looked a pen but we had got away with it until the VAR decision. Similarly Ashley young tackle first half late looked very high but got away with that.

I'm jealous. I don't know you but I'm glad one of 'us' got to see the first AFCB England cap.

Any AFCB lurkers that also got to see it - I'm jealous of you too.

SlowDownDerek - 27/3/2018 23:47

I'm jealous. I don't know you but I'm glad one of 'us' got to see the first AFCB England cap.

Cheers. You are jealous but I did have to endure the underground queues and wembley food is too! Gave him some shouts plus turned on a cynic who moaned when Lewis came on, saying to his mate very loudly that here comes another of those one one cap wonders and that Cook should be nowhere near the squad. I don’t tend to get involved in these sorts of things but turned round and told him why he was there on merit. He seemed quite complimentary about Lewis after that! No wonder wembley lacks atmosphere when so many fans are so negative.

Absolutely pleased as can be for Lewis and, stupidly, more than a little proud. The Fox family started singing in the lounge as he came on!

northstandmark - 27/3/2018 21:51

He's given the ball away a few times unfortunately :hihi:

Dead chuffed though.

I don't recall him giving it away?? Unless you count one great cross that was just about headed away and another that the keeper caught?

To be honest, I wished he had come on at half time, it took about ten minutes for him to see the ball and find his feet, he then had a nice spell of getting involved and was just starting to relax when the final whistle came! Also a tricky period of the game, playing as wide of a midfield three, when we seemed to be allowing Italy the ball and not really going forwards too much. There was two occasions when he was available and Rashford didn't see him sadly.

I feel Southgate sees him as one for the following Euro's, rather than this World Cup but I am sure he will be a regular for many years. It was annoying at half time to hear the TV panel saying we were missing someone to slip the ball through to Vardy etc and I bet we all screamed 'HE'S ON THE BENCH!!'

Someone said he didn't touch the ball for ten minutes- he did after only 3 minutes and thereafter every 2 or so- I kept my eyes fixed on just him until the end and he didn't 'give' the ball away once ! He played a perfect game as I saw it providing and getting into good positions to receive, and defended well when the eyeties had a good spell near the end.

BillMcGarrycherry, have you seen your private message. Well, you haven't which is why I put a reminder here. It has been waiting a whole week!

SlowDownDerek - 27/3/2018 23:47

Was there with my son and witnessed the historic AFCB moment. Southgate had his arm around Lewis for sometime whilst he was waiting to come on. To my mind a more defensive wide left midfield is not Lewis's natural position but having already brought Henderson and Lallana on there wasn't much choice left.

Lewis did ok and put in a great ball for Rashford. Dier played in front of the back three for most if the game so I see Lewis more as cover for injuries to Henderson and Wilshere.

Just as at AFCB Lewis will have to bide his time for the right role to come along.

When I said he didn't see the ball for ten minutes, that was an exaggeration.... :) ....he had a couple of touches but didn't get into his stride for a while, as we didn't really have the ball! Agree that there wasn't any real giving the ball away.

It's a year early. Needs another season starting every week and polishing off elements of his game such as decision making and off the ball positioning. Traits that only come with experience.

Given another season, he'll be ready to move onto a top 6 club no question. But moving now would do more harm than good to him. Give him a deserved pay rise contract to reflect his status as one of our best players, and a gentleman's agreement that if the right offer comes in next summer we'll talk.

;