Lewis Cook

Both Kelly and Cook gave the ball away near the half way line, Kelly with a simple lack of control but Cook trying to get forward.

Both Kelly and Cook gave the ball away near the half way line, Kelly with a simple lack of control but Cook trying to get forward.

Cook also badly mis-controlled it of a throw by the away end that nearly let them in. Mepham did well to sort him out.

Like I say he had half a dozen errors but it was still a decent performance.

I don't see Kelly as a captain and would much prefer to see him concentrate more on his defensive abilities. He seems to get nervous and it's affects his passing and positioning. I saw this against Wolves and in previous matches. I do rate him as a player and think he should be a first name on the team sheet. The performance Lewis Cook put in Wednesday had enormous energy and running. He's been at the club a good number of years now, although injuries have affected his number of appearances. I think he's a player others look up to and I don't think he'd be afraid to give an ear bashing when needed.

I watched them both with this in mind the other night and don't see what all the fuss is about. They both were instructing their teammates and leading by example. Kelly certainly didn't get nervous from what I saw, he stood up to pretty much everything thrown at him.

If you give captaincy to the players who run around most you'd never have given the armband to Bobby Moore, Tony Adams John Terry, etc. would you.

I watched them both with this in mind the other night and don't see what all the fuss is about. They both were instructing their teammates and leading by example. Kelly certainly didn't get nervous from what I saw, he stood up to pretty much everything thrown at him.

If you give captaincy to the players who run around most you'd never have given the armband to Bobby Moore, Tony Adams John Terry, etc. would you.
Granted but I see Cook as a leader not so much Kelly. Some of Kelly's passing, especially after our short goals kicks became panicky and loose.

Granted but I see Cook as a leader not so much Kelly. Some of Kelly's passing, especially after our short goals kicks became panicky and loose.

Why though? As I say I watched them the other night and there's wasn't much in it. Cook probably would be alright as a captain but he's not exactly Tommy Elphick himself is he? Neither of them particularly shout and ball at people but then that's all a bit for show I think.

From their position on the pitch they could probably read the game more, hence captains used to be mainly defenders, including goalkeepers.

It looked like Jefferson Lerma was captain - with the amount of notes being passed directly to him at every substitution.

I'd agree Kelly might not make the best/ideal captain, but now it definitely not the time to disrupt things and shake it all up whilst we have no manager/head coach.

If Kelly had never been captain, I would definitely say Cook. Maybe Cook would have been Parker's choice if he'd been playing at the time. As for now, it depends. The most important thing is squad unity, so if taking the captaincy off Lloyd is going to cause I'll feeling, then I'd say keep him as captain. If Lloyd is the kind of person not bothered by that kind of thing or if he himself has even suggested that Lew is a better fit, then change the captain. It depends, and without knowing the personalities, I'm not sure what's best. As a side issue, Neto was instructing Zemura on Wednesday and looked like a leader too. He may be our number 2 goalie, but no reason why he can't be a positive influence on the others, and Travers too.

There's been a contingent of Cherries with a full on man crush on Cook for nigh on near a decade.
He has runs of great form but otherwise I don't really get it like I don't get the "we need a leader" nonsense

IIRC Lewis has actually been a captain himself when England U20s won the 2017 World Cup.So he does have experience in that area.

It literally doesn’t matter who the captain is. If Cook is so good at leading, then he’s doing that already without the armband. Again, I saw Kelly being vocal on the pitch (like he always is). If loose passes were a reason to strip someone of the captaincy, then Elphick, Cook, and Francis would’ve been in trouble. Funnily enough, so would Lewis. He has his share of clangers.

It literally doesn’t matter who the captain is. If Cook is so good at leading, then he’s doing that already without the armband. Again, I saw Kelly being vocal on the pitch (like he always is). If loose passes were a reason to strip someone of the captaincy, then Elphick, Cook, and Francis would’ve been in trouble. Funnily enough, so would Lewis. He has his share of clangers.
I would disagree with that, the captain is the leader and an important part of the team, Kelly probably got it ahead of Cook as he’s more likely to play every week (which doesn’t say much for Cook). We’ve lacked a proper leader for a long time and I think it has shown.

I would disagree with that, the captain is the leader and an important part of the team, Kelly probably got it ahead of Cook as he’s more likely to play every week (which doesn’t say much for Cook). We’ve lacked a proper leader for a long time and I think it has shown.
Fair comment.

;