List of players pilloried by supporters

Took me a couple of days but the answer is obvious.

Alec Stock and Brian Stock.

That makes them the The Stocks.

I'm here all week.............................................

Ken Baileys Ghost - 8/3/2018 15:22

Took me a couple of days but the answer is obvious.

Alec Stock and Brian Stock.

That makes them the The Stocks.

I'm here all week.............................................

and David Stocks......so two sets of pilloried stocks

I'm here till Friday, try the veal......

So many. John Archer the first then Brian Farmer our skipper and Moordown vicar!
Ray Bumstead the Ringwood hairdresser!
Tony Priscott lived in a club semi in Winton and would blow over in the wind
Lou Peters a latter day Shaqiri without the skill.
Ralph Miller - so so vulnerable at the back!
I could go on - us real oldies pinch ourselves when we look at the mouthwatering quality on offer thanks to Mostyn Maxim and Eddie.

Archer got stick (arrows) from the south end all through 62-63. My dad didn't like him or Farmer and some fans would shout ' bible- basher' at Farmer if we were losing! I was 11/12 that year and hated any of the players being moaned at. We had a great goalie, David Best from Wareham who played for England U/23s but my dad thought he was rubbish at corner kicks and would moan about him all the way home if we lost! I always seemed to see the opposite to dad about players right up to 2001 when he became a Cherry in Heaven. He missed all this but saw all the 57 cup games and was at the 1927 game Liverpool as a 10 yr old! He always preferred Weller and Spelman to Bumstead but I thought Ray was brilliant! Nothing changes with how we judge players!

Quite forgot about Chris Weller he got some awful stick! Words I was not familiar with.

We are so kind nowadays. But there again we watch some pretty talented players each week. Happy days - long may they last.

I played with Brian Farmer for Christchurch. I remember one game somewhere out in the wilds of Hampshire when some smart ass opponent tried to wind him up by saying "You're just an old has-been, Farmer"
Brian looked him up and down and replied "Maybe, but it's a lot better than being a never-will-be" He was a very decent bloke, but he could get a bit cranky at times!

Christer Warren.
Midfielder who MM played at left-back when Vincent was sold to HTFC. The amount of abuse he got, when being played out of positon was ludicrous.

Some memories on this thread.The "modern" fans don't know how much they are spoilt these days. I will throw Rooster in just to keep the thread ticking over.

I remember a young keeper coming to us on loan from Pompey in the Bond jnr. days. Very tall but sadly made a lot of mistakes, and was given a lot of stick. Apparently part of the loan deal was that we had to play him. I wonder where he ended up?

hba1 - 8/3/2018 20:45

I remember a young keeper coming to us on loan from Pompey in the Bond jnr. days. Very tall but sadly made a lot of mistakes, and was given a lot of stick. Apparently part of the loan deal was that we had to play him. I wonder where he ended up?

Just goes to show that you should always cut young players some slack until they get into their stride and find their feet (or hands) in the game.

West Moors Cherry - 8/3/2018 14:33

Shaun Close! I remember being really excited when we signed him! How wrong I was.

Same with David Shearer around the same time.

Top player Shearer. Scored a great goal at home to WBA by falling into the goalie, think it was Xmas 87. Won 3-2, then beat Brum city 4-2 a few days later.

Brian Farmer was a good Div 1 player with Birmingham for years and played in in a Euro final( Fairs Cup v Roma? ) The Italians cheated badly and Brian missed a medal. Tbf, he was too good for div 3 imo, even though he was near the end of his professional career.

;