Lloyd Kelly

Kelly is actually quite vocal on the pitch, I don’t know what you lot are talking about. If you watch him specifically, you’ll see he’s often pointing where he wants players to be, shouting out to them, all the usual stuff. Might not be effective but in my opinion he’s very much vocal.

Kelly is actually quite vocal on the pitch, I don’t know what you lot are talking about. If you watch him specifically, you’ll see he’s often pointing where he wants players to be, shouting out to them, all the usual stuff. Might not be effective but in my opinion he’s very much vocal.

Prime example, purely because of the occasion and the camera close up was the words had when Jordan Zemura switched off and was out of position seconds before the final whistle against Forest.

Prime example, purely because of the occasion and the camera close up was the words had when Jordan Zemura switched off and was out of position seconds before the final whistle against Forest.

That’s exactly what I was thinking haha. And there are quite a few more minor examples of him leading the team fairly directly. Is it a complete coincidence that we conceded 9 without him playing? I’m sure it would’ve still been a car crash, but I don’t think a lot of the set pieces would’ve been as poorly managed with him there.

It’s interesting the perception that we are quiet on the pitch -,I’m as guilty of believing it as anyone else ….
I remember when we had Begovic and I thought he was quiet and there was no direction/communication at the back …..
Then watching the games on tv during the pandemic with the empty stadiums all you could hear was his booming foghorn voice !

When Kelly next plays I’ll watch and see if and how he speaks as a captain, I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

UTCIAD.

It’s interesting the perception that we are quiet on the pitch -,I’m as guilty of believing it as anyone else ….
I remember when we had Begovic and I thought he was quiet and there was no direction/communication at the back …..
Then watching the games on tv during the pandemic with the empty stadiums all you could hear was his booming foghorn voice !

When Kelly next plays I’ll watch and see if and how he speaks as a captain, I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

UTCIAD.
But no one could surely understand what Bego was trying to say, he just sounded like a barking seal.

That’s exactly what I was thinking haha. And there are quite a few more minor examples of him leading the team fairly directly. Is it a complete coincidence that we conceded 9 without him playing? I’m sure it would’ve still been a car crash, but I don’t think a lot of the set pieces would’ve been as poorly managed with him there.

You are both thinking of the same moment becuase its the exception that proves the rule. Kelly didnt even captain the defence when he had Phillips or Cahill alongside him, let alone the rest of the team. When we went through bad patches in the Champ it was Cook who spoke to players and put his arm around people. Kelly would sometimes be seen stood alone not saying anything at very keen moments.

Last edited:
It’s not just noise from the captain but also energy. We need a vocal leader who drives the team forward when opportunity presents. Maybe a combo of Kelly and Cook … but right now we lack a player with these dual qualities.

You are both thinking of the same moment becuase its the exception that proves the rule. Kelly didnt even captain the defence when he had Phillips or Cahill alongside him, let alone the rest of the team. When we went through bad patches in the Champ it was Cook who spoke to players and put his arm around people. Kelly would sometimes be seen stood alone not saying anything at very keen moments.

I disagree.

Changing the subject slightly. Did I read that our goalkeeping coach was in charge of defending set pieces? I've played a bit of football over the years admittedly at a low level but have never heard of that before. Positioning of the keeper obviously but the rest of them around him ?
We missed a trick, could have had something else to blame Neil Moss for on here.

Changing the subject slightly. Did I read that our goalkeeping coach was in charge of defending set pieces? I've played a bit of football over the years admittedly at a low level but have never heard of that before. Positioning of the keeper obviously but the rest of them around him ?
We missed a trick, could have had something else to blame Neil Moss for on here.

Ex goalkeeping coach.

He was in charge of defending set pieces, hence him out on the touchline shouting and pointing when we were defending set pieces.

Its not illegal ;)

Strange you could both only think of that one moment though...

It’s quite a memorable moment, plus the tv cameras helped. I don’t remember anything Elphick or Cook specifically did either to be good captains, they just were (well one definitely was). I’ve watched Kelly off the ball at the ground a few times and noticed him communicating quite a lot. Doesn’t really mean anything and it’s shallow but I’ve personally noticed it.

Strange that in this instance you want me to provide evidence to back up my opinions. Is it only a problem when it’s a measurable metric? ;)

It’s quite a memorable moment, plus the tv cameras helped. I don’t remember anything Elphick or Cook specifically did either to be good captains, they just were (well one definitely was). I’ve watched Kelly off the ball at the ground a few times and noticed him communicating quite a lot. Doesn’t really mean anything and it’s shallow but I’ve personally noticed it.

Strange that in this instance you want me to provide evidence to back up my opinions. Is it only a problem when it’s a measurable metric? ;)

It's the only moment I remember him showing "leadership" too. That's three of us. Funny enough though...it wasn't even Zemuras fault as he was left 2 men to mark so didn't stand a chance. So his memorable moment was him incorrectly berating one his players...

Interesting listen, not wanting to comment on him as a player but he is not the most eloquent of speakers which is something you'd expect from your captain. He didn't want to answer how he and the squad felt about being told they aren't good enough by SP and deflected those questions when I'd have liked him to robustly state they do feel they are good enough. Confidence still in tatters?

The "leader" stuff is just fodder for the media and fans IMO. I don't think Kelly is a great leader but I don't think you need one either.

It was a very odd interview and quite probing for KT I thought. Was going to see what others thought of it but it hasn't got much interest.

Came across that he didn't like Parker being sacked "it was a shock", "he was great for me", "football's ruthless" with the "I respect the decision" thrown out multiple times that made me think anything but.

I also picked up on the nonsense babble around whether the team is good enough. Could be quite easy to say the team if they stick together and work hard will give themselves a great chance but they welcome the challenge of additional completion for places.

The "Bournemouth way" stuff was funny because he thought that was what we were playing last season and that this season we'd need to "adapt" for the tougher league.

;