MansionBet - what lovely people

GARYafCb

Fans' Favourite
Reading this Guardian article
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-bet-redundancy-payout?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
got me to thinking how bloody ridiculous it is that I wear training tops that encourage people to lose their cash to this bunch of scumbags, who obviously have not the slightest qualm about making people destitute, as long as they are keeping their profits rolling in.
I know it’s all about money for the club - and that loads of clubs have gambling firms as their sponsors - but, really, is this the kind of shít that our ’community’ club should be encouraging. Shouldn’t there be times when the ethics of a club should be worth more than 5 million quid in the bank from a company that sits in its Gibraltar tax haven squeezing the life out of problem gamblers?

Reading this Guardian article
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-bet-redundancy-payout?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
got me to thinking how bloody ridiculous it is that I wear training tops that encourage people to lose their cash to this bunch of scumbags, who obviously have not the slightest qualm about making people destitute, as long as they are keeping their profits rolling in.
I know it’s all about money for the club - and that loads of clubs have gambling firms as their sponsors - but, really, is this the kind of shít that our ’community’ club should be encouraging. Shouldn’t there be times when the ethics of a club should be worth more than 5 million quid in the bank from a company that sits in its Gibraltar tax haven squeezing the life out of problem gamblers?
We stopped being a community club the moment we joined the premier league.

On another note re gambling, I don’t like seeing ex sports people be it football etc advertising on gambling adverts on TV.

We have heard how a number of former/footballers have lost money etc on gambling.

Last edited:
I share some sympathy with Gary's point and what is described in the article is s**t. I thought it a good move when the club stopped printing the Mansion sponsor on kids replica kit.

But then I think - where do you draw the line? What industry do you allow and what do you ban?

For example - Tobacco has been banned from sporting sponsorship for a while now. Used to be massive in sport particually in F1 from memory. You can make an arugment for betting companies joining tobacco companies in a ban.

On the other hand you could argue that bookies aren't much different to pubs and breweries, in being a bit of a vice that's needed to be enjoyed in moderation, and for some is best ignored altogether.

Some people have a problem with booze, a lot of people are ok with it in moderation. Pubs and breweries will cater for both groups without a huge amount of oversight, ethics or regulation. People spend their last pennies on the stuff. Booze are big sponors of football, including this very club in the past at lower levels than the PL.

So perhaps you add alcohol to betting and tobacco using the same logic. Just interested to hear what folks are comfortable with or not!

Last edited:
They spend millions in analysis on extracting the most possible money out of the most vulnerable people... It's ridiculous to call all of them idiots. Watch the BBC Panorama on it from BBC August and educate yourself.

Panorama: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007m0t
Additional episode with Lloyd Griffith: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07hjnl6

You're in a bookie's, there's shop rent, there's staff, there are tonnes of tech, tonnes of marketing, everything is immaculate and they're proudly displaying all the sports they sponsor for millions. You know they only way they make money is from losing bets and it's clearly a LOT of money, how can anyone be dumb enough to think that playing a game by their rules will make them rich?

Watch a documentary on any retail business, alcohol, tobacco, food, FUT or Candy Crush it's all the same. At what point do you as individual take responsibility for your actions?

You're in a bookie's, there's shop rent, there's staff, there are tonnes of tech, tonnes of marketing, everything is immaculate and they're proudly displaying all the sports they sponsor for millions. You know they only way they make money is from losing bets and it's clearly a LOT of money, how can anyone be dumb enough to think that playing a game by their rules will make them rich?

Watch a documentary on any retail business, alcohol, tobacco, food, FUT or Candy Crush it's all the same. At what point do you as individual take responsibility for your actions?

Like wise I expect you don't feel sorry for anyone that's been conned then, since the whole industry is essentially a professional con?

Like wise I expect you don't feel sorry for anyone that's been conned then, since the whole industry is essentially a professional con?
Disagree, it's not a con at all. Most of the information is in the public domain to enable someone to make a value judgement. The bookie gives you the odds, you have the choice whether or not, based on the data, to bet, and there is always the chance that you will win. A con is where someone basically gives you no chance to win, usually perpetrated by a cunning sh*t on a vulnerable person who doesn't know enough to make the right background checks.

I feel sorry for the people who get conned - to an extent, depending on circumstances - but not so much for someone who can't see that the bookies are spending millions on sponsoring sport and advertising on TV, radio and billboard and who doesn't appreciate that money is coming from him/her. It's like being conned, finding out about it and then setting up a standing order to the con artist.

And yes, I get the issues with addiction, but I really can't sympathise too much with someone who loses his/her house/job due to betting. At some point you have to be able to step back and say "WTF am I doing?"

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Disagree, it's not a con at all. Most of the information is in the public domain to enable someone to make a value judgement. The bookie gives you the odds, you have the choice whether or not, based on the date, to bet, and there is always the chance that you will win. A con is where someone basically gives you no chance to win, usually perpetrated by a cunning sh*t on a vulnerable person who doesn't know enough to make the right background checks.

I feel sorry for the people who get conned - to an extent, depending on circumstances - but not so much for someone who can't see that the bookies are spending millions on sponsoring sport and advertising on TV, radio and billboard and who doesn't appreciate that money is coming from him/her. It's like being conned, finding out about it and then setting up a standing order to the con artist.

And yes, I get the issues with addiction, but I really can't sympathise too much with someone who loses his/her house/job due to betting. At some point you have to be able to step back and say "WTF am I doing?"

It really doesn't sound like you do "get the issues with addiction" tbh.

Addiction is awful, whether it be gambling, drugs, smoking or drink.
Its a buzz while doing it, its amazing what someone will do to get their next buzz.
I gamble sometimes on horses, most times I make a profit as I know how to put the odds in my favour.
But I don't get a buzz from it. So I don't gamble that much.

;