Marcos Senesi

If we primarily play 4 at the back not sure where Senesi will fit in, he's basically going to be back up for kelly
How does he fit in with three at the back? Kelly has to play left and Mepham has been great in the centre but can’t play on the right.

How does he fit in with three at the back? Kelly has to play left and Mepham has been great in the centre but can’t play on the right.

What makes you so sure that Mepham can’t go in at RCB? Are there any games that stick out in your mind where he’s played there and looked poor? I feel like he’s played there and gotten forward better than you’d expect from him on paper, and has also deputised fairly well at fullback on occasion too. Mainly in the championship admittedly.

For me, the long term back 3 of Kelly, Senesi, and Mepham seems like a pretty decent one. Senesi isn’t up to speed with the pace and physicality of this league yet, but everything else about his game seems fairly high level. What do you think?

What makes you so sure that Mepham can’t go in at RCB? Are there any games that stick out in your mind where he’s played there and looked poor? I feel like he’s played there and gotten forward better than you’d expect from him on paper, and has also deputised fairly well at fullback on occasion too. Mainly in the championship admittedly.

For me, the long term back 3 of Kelly, Senesi, and Mepham seems like a pretty decent one. Senesi isn’t up to speed with the pace and physicality of this league yet, but everything else about his game seems fairly high level. What do you think?
I think virtually every game I’ve seen him play there he has looked a bit suspect. He is one of these defenders who can be very good if allowed to do the simple stuff, heading, clearing and blocking. The moment he is asked to do more is when the mistake creep in. CB and right centre back are very different positions in a three, the RCB almost needs to act as a full back at times when in possession. Mepham just isn’t that player, isn’t comfortable being dragged out wide when defending either. Not a criticism of him, he has been outstanding every time he’s played in the centre this season.

Ideadly, the RCB and LCB should have pace I guess, but, if other faster players can cover, this helps. Anyone know how speedy Jack Stephens is?

The long term back 3 for me is, Smith, Mepham and Kelly.

Ideadly, the RCB and LCB should have pace I guess, but, if other faster players can cover, this helps. Anyone know how speedy Jack Stephens is?
Not just pace, but need to be comfortable defending in wide areas and in pushing up out of possession. It just isn’t Mepham. In the four halves he has played in the centre of the three this season he has been outstanding. In fact we haven’t conceded a goal in any of those occasions. Villa 1st and 2nd, Wolves 2nd, Forest 2nd.

Agree completely. Smith has played there a few times now and looked good every time. Having a RCB that can push forward is crucial.

No he's make shift at best, due to his height imo. Cannavaro was considered an outlier at 5"9, and he was obviously world class in other attributes to make up for it. Smith is 5"7, although some sites list him as 5"11 which is clearly b0ll0cks (not unusual to see US sports, film stars have their height grossly exagerated, but didn;t realize it had crept over here...) . Tough to compensate for that if he was installed regularly in that position, we'd be too exposed imo.

No he's make shift at best, due to his height imo. Cannavaro was considered an outlier at 5"9, and he was obviously world class in other attributes to make up for it. Smith is 5"7, although some sites list him as 5"11 which is clearly b0ll0cks (not unusual to see US sports, film stars have their height grossly exagerated, but didn;t realize it had crept over here...) . Tough to compensate for that if he was installed regularly in that position, we'd be too exposed imo.
Yes, the minute he becomes a regular there opposition scouts will tell their tallest forward to peel off onto him and hit the cross there. He has been excellent both at right back and filling in there so not meant as a criticism.

Yes, the minute he becomes a regular there opposition scouts will tell their tallest forward to peel off onto him and hit the cross there. He has been excellent both at right back and filling in there so not meant as a criticism.

Exactly, like you and KK say, he has done well there, but would be concerned if he was considered a longer term solution for cb...

For whatever reason, he has been very "handsy" in his defending and already has 4 yellows. He has also lost his composure a few times. I like his aggressiveness, but I wonder if the speed of the game has caught him out a bit. He always plays with an edge, which is something that we don't have a lot of, especially if Pearson is out for any length of time.

For whatever reason, he has been very "handsy" in his defending and already has 4 yellows. He has also lost his composure a few times. I like his aggressiveness, but I wonder if the speed of the game has caught him out a bit. He always plays with an edge, which is something that we don't have a lot of, especially if Pearson is out for any length of time.

YEah, thats the double-edge sort with someone who's high on the aggression/bravery scale, and perhaps not as high with composure/decision making at times. Always chance they'll throw a curve ball and do something detrimental out the blue from time to time, but can be useful to have that edge many other times.

Plus, like you say, he may be gradually losing his acceleration/pace, so may become more prone to committing fouls if he gets caught out.

Yes but who else is there to play there? Mepham has the height but lacks the majority of other attributes required to play on the side of a back three. Senesi is left footed. Stephens from what I’ve seen is more of an out and out centre back so will be competing with Mepham for the centre spot. We effectively have 2 CB, 2 LCB and no RCB. Whoever plays it at this moment will be a stop gap as we didn’t recruit properly. It will have to be Lerma or Smith. A shame Hill isn’t further along with his development because in time he’d be perfect for that role.

;